WiMax Vs WiFi

Someone reported that the WiMAX modem is connected to a phone line. Anyone have better clue on this? Doesn't make sense if WiMAX needs a phone line to connect.

ya it seems that was what was connected at the PC Fair demo set. Confusing...

Looks like their service are only available for 9th floor and below. Sounds 3G-ish if height does matter.

Wonder if we can call P1 to find out about this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Another 13 more days before one needs to pay RM999 for the modem.

There are some slight discounts too for those who subscribe before 30th of September. Just for business plan or the 2.4Mbps plan though. Pretty unfair to those whose area have no coverage. Promotion will be long ended when the coverage finally apply to most area I suppose :shifty:

There are some slight discounts too for those who subscribe before 30th of September. Just for business plan or the 2.4Mbps plan though. Pretty unfair to those whose area have no coverage. Promotion will be long ended when the coverage finally apply to most area I suppose :shifty:

Yeah..its true..its pretty unfair for those whose area which has no coverage. Its better..if they give free modem always..;)

By the way, is there any warranty on those free modems? Fork out another 1k if the modem got fried? :blink:

They din mention anything about the modem warranty, if I'm not mistaken it could be only 1 year.. If the got fried, then you have no other choice then purchasing a new one..hehe

They din mention anything about the modem warranty, if I'm not mistaken it could be only 1 year.. If the got fried, then you have no other choice then purchasing a new one..hehe

Ya man, if modem gets fried, it's the user's fault wat..even normal electrical /pc equipments won't give warranty for fried due to your own mistake. Don't use la if the lightning is striking outside...

Ya man, if modem gets fried, it's the user's fault wat..even normal electrical /pc equipments won't give warranty for fried due to your own mistake. Don't use la if the lightning is striking outside...

Didn't know about that. Then power surge protectors will come in handy in this case. Wonder if it really works though, it is somewhat useless as far as I know.

I didn't know there was only a one-year warranty in the first place, if so that's really disappointing. At least with Streamyx, when my modem fried due to a thunderstorm, they would replace it at no extra charge.

Scirwode

I didn't know there was only a one-year warranty in the first place, if so that's really disappointing. At least with Streamyx, when my modem fried due to a thunderstorm, they would replace it at no extra charge.

Scirwode

Hmm..I think Streamyx are still 1 year warranty for normal package, if you take the with modem package means, you will get 2 years.. that shud be the max for Streamyx.. ;)

Scirwode

Now I'm confused. Do the warranty actually cover cases like fried modem? To be specific, by thunder and not due to overheating for long term use. This is important as if you have subscribed for a 2-year-contract plan, and your modem is fried within a month, if warranty does not cover the case, you will either have to fork RM1,000 for a new modem or pay the monthly bill for 2 years without even using the service.

Is the USB modem available yet? Wonder how much it will cost for that one now. Should be safer since it requires not power input, I suppose.

Now I'm confused. Do the warranty actually cover cases like fried modem? To be specific, by thunder and not due to overheating for long term use. This is important as if you have subscribed for a 2-year-contract plan, and your modem is fried within a month, if warranty does not cover the case, you will either have to fork RM1,000 for a new modem or pay the monthly bill for 2 years without even using the service.

Is the USB modem available yet? Wonder how much it will cost for that one now. Should be safer since it requires not power input, I suppose.

Guess what, according to Cust Serv, as long as you're subscribed to WiMAX P1, if your modem has problems including fried by lightning, they will replace a new one for free, but not if you broke it yourself, like dropping it from the window etc. Even after the 2 years contract and if you continue to subscribe another 2 years or whatever, you can still change your modem if it's struck by lightning and other natural causes, or age, for FREE!

About the USB modem, it is not available yet. There's no time frame when they wil launch it , but when it is, it will most probably be a separate package apart from the current ones, maybe called The MOBILE plan..then you won't get the box modem only the USB one...

Guess what, according to Cust Serv, as long as you're subscribed to WiMAX P1, if your modem has problems including fried by lightning, they will replace a new one for free, but not if you broke it yourself, like dropping it from the window etc. Even after the 2 years contract and if you continue to subscribe another 2 years or whatever, you can still change your modem if it's struck by lightning and other natural causes, or age, for FREE!

About the USB modem, it is not available yet. There's no time frame when they wil launch it , but when it is, it will most probably be a separate package apart from the current ones, maybe called The MOBILE plan..then you won't get the box modem only the USB one...

Weird thing. I remember P1 showing off their USB modem (CEO showing it in a picture in the newspaper), but they are not launching it yet.

By the way, what's the different between personal and business plan? Same speed but different price?

Weird thing. I remember P1 showing off their USB modem (CEO showing it in a picture in the newspaper), but they are not launching it yet.

By the way, what's the different between personal and business plan? Same speed but different price?

Btw, how's the usb modem looks like?