WiMax Vs WiFi

Wi-Fi is doing fine going through walls in my house. One more advantage is that I can bring my laptop around my house without needing to worry about the cables, having to bring them along to wherever I go.

Not sure about the security of Wimax though.

Yea me too have no probs with using WIFI around the house, except that it is slower the further my PC or notebook is away from the base. But it's ok for normal checking of mails, not so for streaming of vids.

Yea me too have no probs with using WIFI around the house, except that it is slower the further my PC or notebook is away from the base. But it's ok for normal checking of mails, not so for streaming of vids.

I have an Airport Extreme and I have no problems connecting from my notebook, even if it is far away. My brothers notebook, which has 802.11n is even better as it can go further with little drop of speed. I just wish Streamyx would improve their service, or P1 would offer it in TTDI :cry: .

Scirwode

I have an Airport Extreme and I have no problems connecting from my notebook, even if it is far away. My brothers notebook, which has 802.11n is even better as it can go further with little drop of speed. I just wish Streamyx would improve their service, or P1 would offer it in TTDI :cry: .

Scirwode

I'm using Tomato firmware for my WRT54GL, and increased the signal power using it. So far 5 bars most of the time :)

I'm using Tomato firmware for my WRT54GL, and increased the signal power using it. So far 5 bars most of the time :)

Ya heard of Tomato firmware but don't really dare to mess with the firmware in case I ... well messed it up! We can only wait for Wimax to come to our areas and see how..

Ya heard of Tomato firmware but don't really dare to mess with the firmware in case I ... well messed it up! We can only wait for Wimax to come to our areas and see how..

The risk of bricking the router is quite low. All I do is just upload the new firmware and restart the router. Just make sure things like sudden black out won't happen in the midst of uploading, else god knows what will happen.

The risk of bricking the router is quite low. All I do is just upload the new firmware and restart the router. Just make sure things like sudden black out won't happen in the midst of uploading, else god knows what will happen.

Is it a reversible process?

That's good, but I'm quite happy with my Apple Extreme, not to mention I have my hard drive and printer hooked up to it :D .

Scirwode

Is it a reversible process?

I'm not sure about this, but if I am not mistaken, there are ways to unbrick the router, but it might not work too. You should not worry too much as there are already many users flashing their routers with 3rd part firmwares successfully. For better interface and control over your router, go for it.

That's good, but I'm quite happy with my Apple Extreme, not to mention I have my hard drive and printer hooked up to it :D .

Scirwode

How much in RM is the Apple Extreme?

I'm not sure about this, but if I am not mistaken, there are ways to unbrick the router, but it might not work too. You should not worry too much as there are already many users flashing their routers with 3rd part firmwares successfully. For better interface and control over your router, go for it.

How much in RM is the Apple Extreme?

Airport Extreme now costs RM709 at Machines...I'm sure it's top performance..

WiMAX was designed to work in 3 different segments of wireless data transmission market & in all of them there is good competition.

In WLAN segment we have WiFi. WiFi is establishing itself from 1999. And it have very good cost/benefit advantage over WiMAX. I dont see it getting any major foot, plus with IEEE802.11n in the horizon, WiMAX seem very dull.

In Metro-Mobility segment we have good tested and reliable GPRS services coming under 3G, 3.5G, and soon 4G. Just imagine what will happen to WiMAX when cell service provider started provided cross-SP-roaming services. Actually if you look at WiMAX standard closely they emulate GPRS.

Finally we have internet-access, last-mile, P-t-P, and P-t-MP. We have a broad range of technologies here, even some proprietary, including Microwave, FSO, GSM/GPRS, VSAT, WiFi-a (IEEE802.11a), and now WiMAX. I dont see any particular advantage with WiMAX.

The last I saw of WiMAX streaming vids was the demo at the last PC Fair. Super fast. I guess all we want at the end of the day is fast speed, good pricing package and perhaps stability. And about that security issue, I'm sure its covered, but that's just me. Anyone seen the interface for WiMAX yet?

Airport Extreme now costs RM709 at Machines...I'm sure it's top performance..

Wow? I can get 3 WRT54GLs with that price. I'm happy with my RM200+ router being an average user though. Apple's stuff tends to be pricey, but tempting.

The last I saw of WiMAX streaming vids was the demo at the last PC Fair. Super fast. I guess all we want at the end of the day is fast speed, good pricing package and perhaps stability. And about that security issue, I'm sure its covered, but that's just me. Anyone seen the interface for WiMAX yet?

The speed decreased that much? How bad isit now?

WiMAX was designed to work in 3 different segments of wireless data transmission market & in all of them there is good competition.

In WLAN segment we have WiFi. WiFi is establishing itself from 1999. And it have very good cost/benefit advantage over WiMAX. I dont see it getting any major foot, plus with IEEE802.11n in the horizon, WiMAX seem very dull.

In Metro-Mobility segment we have good tested and reliable GPRS services coming under 3G, 3.5G, and soon 4G. Just imagine what will happen to WiMAX when cell service provider started provided cross-SP-roaming services. Actually if you look at WiMAX standard closely they emulate GPRS.

Finally we have internet-access, last-mile, P-t-P, and P-t-MP. We have a broad range of technologies here, even some proprietary, including Microwave, FSO, GSM/GPRS, VSAT, WiFi-a (IEEE802.11a), and now WiMAX. I dont see any particular advantage with WiMAX.

What are you getting at? A technology that all the techs in the world are spending billions to implement, has no particular advantage? That can't be logical, especially when so many people are hardly happy with what is available now with WiFi, 3G etc... we need something truly wireless, not something that still need physical wires running under the seabed.

Wow? I can get 3 WRT54GLs with that price. I'm happy with my RM200+ router being an average user though. Apple's stuff tends to be pricey, but tempting.

I got mine for RM600+ due to my father buying it in England :p . It is a wonderful piece of machinery as it not only transmits signals up to 802.11n, but you can also share a printer and a hard drive with other users if you wish to do so. I have my printer hooked up to it so whenever the Airport is on the printer is instantly detected. I'm also in the process of connecting a hard drive but I haven't really bothered as no one really needs it, but it is a useful feature.

One thing I don't like is that Apple promised you could use the hard drive connected for Time Machine but pull the plug when they released the Time Capsule. Other than that, it is solid.

Scirwode

What are you getting at? A technology that all the techs in the world are spending billions to implement, has no particular advantage? That can't be logical, especially when so many people are hardly happy with what is available now with WiFi, 3G etc... we need something truly wireless, not something that still need physical wires running under the seabed.

Do you mean Wimax is independent of seabed cables? I thought they are on the same backbone for Streamyx and P1 wimax?

WiMAX also require wired network for core/distribution connectivity like GSM & 3G. We may never be able to replace that.

However, if companies worldwide are investing billions in WiMAX. There also companies worldwide that are investing Trillions in GSM/3G technology. The reason is very simple how many cell phones have WiMAX capability??? With speed and service, we also need unified network on which we can enjoy voice, video and data services.

WiMAX also require wired network for core/distribution connectivity like GSM & 3G. We may never be able to replace that.

However, if companies worldwide are investing billions in WiMAX. There also companies worldwide that are investing Trillions in GSM/3G technology. The reason is very simple how many cell phones have WiMAX capability??? With speed and service, we also need unified network on which we can enjoy voice, video and data services.

Obviously being a new tech, there aren't many Wimax enabled laptops nor phones at the moment, but it is only a matter of time these will start rolling out, especially with Intel behind the development of the hardware in Msia. Predicting by mid next year. Plus, I'm thinking of Wimax more as a home office internet use rather than for voice as in cell phones.

Obviously being a new tech, there aren't many Wimax enabled laptops nor phones at the moment, but it is only a matter of time these will start rolling out, especially with Intel behind the development of the hardware in Msia. Predicting by mid next year. Plus, I'm thinking of Wimax more as a home office internet use rather than for voice as in cell phones.

Nokia have a Wimax enabled phone - http://www.nokiausa.com/A4952190

Wouldn't mind to have that as my future phone :lol:

Wonder when will it ever be launch in Malaysia?

Depends on people like u and me...got demand only got supply..if they do a survey and majority of Msians dunno what is Wimax..then will slow down the launch for sure. So start publicising Wimax and what it can do, then these gadgets may come faster. :p

Just notice that's an internet tablet and have no phone capabilities at all. It would be just perfect if it works as a phone too, sigh.

What is this internet tablet you're talking about?