WiMax Vs WiFi

Question

Saravanan07

Hello..Malaysia will providing WiMax services to Malaysian's soon. Do you WiMax is able to provide better connection speed compare to WiFi?

razormax
Depends on people like u and me...got demand only got supply..if they do a survey and majority of Msians dunno what is Wimax..then will slow down the launch for sure. So start publicising Wimax and what it can do, then these gadgets may come faster. :p

Already doing what I can already... haha :)

leonalim
Someone compared the speed of P1 Wimax 1.2MBps and Streamyx 1.0MBps at http://blog.cglow.com/?p=137

The winner is very obvious.

Ya great report there to show us an idea of what it's like.

Scirwode

Has anyone gone to the MyBroadband convention at KLCC to check out all the services being offered?

Scirwode

Vincent-C
Has anyone gone to the MyBroadband convention at KLCC to check out all the services being offered?

Scirwode

You mean this one?: http://www.ecmybroadband.com/

What is it all about? Showcasing all the broadbands available in Malaysia?

Scirwode
You mean this one?: http://www.ecmybroadband.com/

What is it all about? Showcasing all the broadbands available in Malaysia?

Yes, so you've got all the WiMax licenses such as P1 as well as the broadband services that have lasted for quite a while, such as Streamyx, Maxis, Celcom and Jaring. Go check it out and see what you can find out.

Scirwode

leonalim
Yes, so you've got all the WiMax licenses such as P1 as well as the broadband services that have lasted for quite a while, such as Streamyx, Maxis, Celcom and Jaring. Go check it out and see what you can find out.

Scirwode

There are also other Wimax companies there I heard, like Asiaspace. Worth to check out any cool freebies or offers going on.

Vincent-C
There are also other Wimax companies there I heard, like Asiaspace. Worth to check out any cool freebies or offers going on.

The other three companies are almost unheard of. Wondering if they are even working on it or not.

leonalim
The other three companies are almost unheard of. Wondering if they are even working on it or not.

I don't even read papers, but I've heard of the 3 companies leh haha.

Scirwode

They are, you can be assured of that, call it inside information if you will :p . However, P1 has a lot of marketing power behind them so they are the ones in the best position at the moment. I went to the fair yesterday and I had a look at all of the products being shown and so far it's looking good. It's not as good as the US, which offers up to 25MB but it's a step in the right direction. I did find out that P1 will be opening their service to other places around KL, and that they'll be going house to house to promote their service, so look out for that.

Scirwode

Vincent-C
They are, you can be assured of that, call it inside information if you will :p . However, P1 has a lot of marketing power behind them so they are the ones in the best position at the moment. I went to the fair yesterday and I had a look at all of the products being shown and so far it's looking good. It's not as good as the US, which offers up to 25MB but it's a step in the right direction. I did find out that P1 will be opening their service to other places around KL, and that they'll be going house to house to promote their service, so look out for that.

Scirwode

P1 is very aggressive in marketing their Wimax. Local forum ads, AdSense, blogs, you will probably see it among the local community. I personally think they should only be as aggressive after they have more coverage. No point letting the entire Malaysia know about it but they cannot subscribe to it.

leonalim
P1 is very aggressive in marketing their Wimax. Local forum ads, AdSense, blogs, you will probably see it among the local community. I personally think they should only be as aggressive after they have more coverage. No point letting the entire Malaysia know about it but they cannot subscribe to it.

I disagree, I think publicity has to come before product roll out, so as to educate people of Wimax...to get it into the minds of people takes a long time. If they start only after they have a perfect product all over Malaysia, they might make big time losses during the months that people are still processing what is Wimax and what is it for. Even though there are glitches now, at least people have heard of it. Glitches do not really prevent people from trying out something new, especially when they are frustrated at other services and looking for an alternative. At least this is a company that is striving to listen to the people and make changes wherever possible, instead of turning a blind eye.

Vincent-C
I disagree, I think publicity has to come before product roll out, so as to educate people of Wimax...to get it into the minds of people takes a long time. If they start only after they have a perfect product all over Malaysia, they might make big time losses during the months that people are still processing what is Wimax and what is it for. Even though there are glitches now, at least people have heard of it. Glitches do not really prevent people from trying out something new, especially when they are frustrated at other services and looking for an alternative. At least this is a company that is striving to listen to the people and make changes wherever possible, instead of turning a blind eye.

You've a point there. Only companies that dare to make changes and improve themselves all the time will win the user's heart. I have heard that they're expanding their coverage aggressively. I might be able to subscribe by early next year.

leonalim
You've a point there. Only companies that dare to make changes and improve themselves all the time will win the user's heart. I have heard that they're expanding their coverage aggressively. I might be able to subscribe by early next year.

Yeap, I'm hoping to be able to subscribe by next year too, by then hoping will have more different kinds of hardware too

Vincent-C
Yeap, I'm hoping to be able to subscribe by next year too, by then hoping will have more different kinds of hardware too

With a non-saddening price tag, of course.

leonalim
With a non-saddening price tag, of course.

I don't think the price tag is too bad right now, with the promotion that is...with a 24 month contract, it's only rm89 monthly for wimax 1200, compared to over 100 I'm paying now to tmnez...includes the phone line and all...forget about the modem when laptops with wimax enabled comes out next year...

Vincent-C
I don't think the price tag is too bad right now, with the promotion that is...with a 24 month contract, it's only rm89 monthly for wimax 1200, compared to over 100 I'm paying now to tmnez...includes the phone line and all...forget about the modem when laptops with wimax enabled comes out next year...

I mean the price for the Wimax hardware. I'm only paying RM88 for my Streamyx. As for now, the Wimax modem from P1 already cost near to RM1k. Wondering if we can integrate a wimax card or something to our lappies, no point getting a new one just for that, especially when the USB modem is out.

leonalim
I mean the price for the Wimax hardware. I'm only paying RM88 for my Streamyx. As for now, the Wimax modem from P1 already cost near to RM1k. Wondering if we can integrate a wimax card or something to our lappies, no point getting a new one just for that, especially when the USB modem is out.

But the 1k modem is free right now..and probably for sometime more. As for wimax card..not sure if that exists yet, guess we're more looking for the USB modem which would be sufficient. Actually those who signed up with the box modem package can later change it to the USB modem..so says P1.

Vincent-C
But the 1k modem is free right now..and probably for sometime more. As for wimax card..not sure if that exists yet, guess we're more looking for the USB modem which would be sufficient. Actually those who signed up with the box modem package can later change it to the USB modem..so says P1.

With their new plan for USB modem? Sounds good, else it would be unfair for those early birds.

leonalim
With their new plan for USB modem? Sounds good, else it would be unfair for those early birds.

Basically, P1 will make things in such a way it won't be unfair to all la. For eg, now they have the pay nothing promo, people dun have to fork out the RM100 for the registration, I think it's a good idea coz makes people feel more like signing up for the trial.

Skulltrail-old

WiMax is better than WiFi because it ranges more. Sure the speed is a bit less than that of WiFi but if you are in the middle of Africa, and you have a wireless connection, wouldn't you be happy regardless of the speed? (assuming the speed is not 0Kbp/s)

PermaSt0ne

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/12/htc-max...sm-wimax-phone/

"Hey Sprint, you listening? Granted, GSM doesn't do Sprint a whole lot of good in the States, but swapping a CDMA radio into HTC's first WiMAX effort here would make for a downright mighty response to the Touch HD. The previously-seen T8920 has turned out to be the MAX 4G, an 800 x 480 monster with 8GB of Flash on board, two cameras, an FM radio, GPS, WiFi, triband EDGE, and -- most importantly -- WiMAX support, making it the first GSM / WiMAX handset anywhere in the world. It'll be launching on Scartel's Yota network in Russia, and if you have friends cool enough to have a MAX 4G of their own, calls between the two of y'all will automatically be routed over the WiMAX airwaves using VoIP. A launch date hasn't been announced, but unless you're in Russia, there's probably not much point in even bothering to lust after this one. If you insist, though, you can check out a couple additional shots of the phone over at Engadget Mobile"

seems they have lots of WiMax set up in Russia, but not enough here in the US or in the UK to warrant a phone for us

Vincent-C
http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/12/htc-max...sm-wimax-phone/

"Hey Sprint, you listening? Granted, GSM doesn't do Sprint a whole lot of good in the States, but swapping a CDMA radio into HTC's first WiMAX effort here would make for a downright mighty response to the Touch HD. The previously-seen T8920 has turned out to be the MAX 4G, an 800 x 480 monster with 8GB of Flash on board, two cameras, an FM radio, GPS, WiFi, triband EDGE, and -- most importantly -- WiMAX support, making it the first GSM / WiMAX handset anywhere in the world. It'll be launching on Scartel's Yota network in Russia, and if you have friends cool enough to have a MAX 4G of their own, calls between the two of y'all will automatically be routed over the WiMAX airwaves using VoIP. A launch date hasn't been announced, but unless you're in Russia, there's probably not much point in even bothering to lust after this one. If you insist, though, you can check out a couple additional shots of the phone over at Engadget Mobile"

seems they have lots of WiMax set up in Russia, but not enough here in the US or in the UK to warrant a phone for us

Wow, looks pretty sexy. Malaysia should have Wimax coverage nationwide in a couple of years, as they are already starting with a few areas now. Wondering if HTC will even notice that and decide to ship the phones here.

Anyone knows how many megapixel the camera is having? It just say "High resolution" at - http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2008/11/12/htc...sia-with-wimax/