Post Count Question

Disabling Post Counts is good!  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Disabling Post Counts is good!

• Yes, I agree
    • Noooooooooooooooooooo

I still think this is the best idea. Should the stars also be removed? Or leave the stars and have them based on the number of years you've been a member of neowin, one star for each year.

Stars should be gone as well imo, they're just related to post count.

Leave Postcounts alone but make another field:

Helpfulness:

And allow staff members to add points in there for when we see people being helpful and posting relevant information. That way Joe Blow who has been REALLY helpful in the Windows XP forum can be recognized for his helpfulness while James D00D who posts 1000 posts a day containing "LOL" or "Me2" type posts and has a higher post count won't be viewed as a more helpful person.

Helpfulness:

And allow staff members to add points in there for when we see people being helpful and posting relevant information.

There is a "Karma Hack" for Invision which will allow something like that.

Ya, something like that would work wonders but make it staff only adding so you don't get people making teams to vote each other up. (Thus creating a new Post Count issue)

hmm

Ya know.. you can always give like some kind of rating based on the time registered?

like:

Infant

Toddler

Youngster

Adolescent

Pre-teen

Grandpa/Grandma

Ancient

i see the point about post counts making rivalry but if you do get rid of the post count, I still want the stars, because they are a reliable way to show how much experiance one has on neowin

also, members with < 30 posts should be in a group called "Newbies" before they get promoted to "Registered", so we can be more considerate if they were to ask a stupid question

Just my two cents :/

Yeah, there needs to be a time period where new users are under the term "neowinian" then after maybe a month or so it get blanked out so they have to fill it in with whatever..( hopefully after a month they should know how to do that lol )

Edit// Hey !!! or even better, have an option for people to CHOSE, like, "Im a beginner go easy" or "intermediate" or "literate in java,php etc"

Edited by user01

i see the point about post counts making rivalry but if you do get rid of the post count, I still want the stars, because they are a reliable way to show how much experiance one has on neowin

also, members with < 30 posts should be in a group called "Newbies" before they get promoted to "Registered", so we can be more considerate if they were to ask a stupid question

Just my two cents :/

Stars = post counts...

Just as a note neobond, I read the poll wrong and hit "nooooooooooooo", when I ment to hit "yes I agree"

so it should be 19 for to 9 against

im not botherd either way - i spent my first 4-500 odd posts mainly asking for help while progrmming - now i aim to give back what i took

so i not botherd - the staff rating idea sounds good tho

if no one cares about post count, quality will start to be the important role in posting

Thats a load of crap.

Even spammers aren't really a problem. They are delt with before they can get a high post count. The worst spammer was scoobie, and he was dealt with.

Quailty will improve when people stop acting immature and start acting responsible enough to browse a board.

I mean seriously. We can't even edit posts after a certian amount of time because ###### will screw up their posts in threads to get a laugh out of it.

I'm tired of people acting like ###### and we have to suffer the consequences, and its nobody's fault but the craphead member thats a dick.

I agree with every decision the admins have made including editing post restrictions, but taking away post counts won't help anything.

No this isn't a new Neowin policy I just want to gather (if I can) the general feeling towards this if we were ever to consider it.

You wouldn't have brought this up if you weren't thinking about changing.

I say NO.

If the post counts go, come up with some other alternative to distinquish users from good vs. bad.

-xStainDx.

This is just something I thought up. I think there should be some type of rating system, like if you think the post that someone put was helpful or not, you can rate that post on a 1 to 5 or 1 to 10 scale. Of course, you couldn't vote for your own posts. That would mean people would have to go out of their way to say that the post someone submitted was helpful or whatever, but it would be good because people would'nt say that a post is good if it isn't.

Just my two cents... ;)

Yeah, we had a discussion about a karma system before to use an accumulative rating a while back that I agreed with, as it would be a superior system than post count = stars.

Though since I don't have to code it, I dislike making monumental requests like that for it to be implemented. For now, stars, membership dates, and plaques are certainly good enough. :)

If the post counts go, come up with some other alternative to distinquish users from good vs. bad.

-xStainDx.

Are you saying high post count = good member?

No, i said exactly what i typed but that sounded like i was implying high count = better.

What i mean was....

if you remove post count, come up with something else to distinquish users like a rating system or something.

i wasn't implying that post count shows who you are and i'm still not.

There are people like myself, who have not spammed this board, and have earned their post count to where its at.

So for me it does count for a lot, thats why i voted NO.

Helpfulness:

And allow staff members to add points in there for when we see people being helpful and posting relevant information.  That way Joe Blow who has been REALLY helpful in the Windows  XP forum can be recognized for his helpfulness while James D00D who posts 1000 posts a day containing "LOL" or "Me2" type posts and has a higher post count won't be viewed as a more helpful person.

Hey Cara, you took my idea. Sometimes I feel invisible :$ :cry:

I can't seem to vote... It just shows the results for me. Maybe I did and didn't notice. Anyway, I was going to vote no.

i dunno if there really is a win-win situations.

if you do any type of karma system, it will turn into the same thing. mods would get spammed by people begging to get voted. people would get ****ed if they didn't get a vote, etc.

if you think about it, i don't think any spammer or troll will stop because of anything we do like this. they only stop when they are forced to.

Ya, something like that would work wonders but make it staff only adding so you don't get people making teams to vote each other up. (Thus creating a new Post Count issue)

Guess I'd have to bribe Keldyn then :shifty: :whistle:

Thats a load of crap.

Even spammers aren't really a problem. They are delt with before they can get a high post count. The worst spammer was scoobie, and he was dealt with.

Quailty will improve when people stop acting immature and start acting responsible enough to browse a board.

I mean seriously. We can't even edit posts after a certian amount of time because ###### will screw up their posts in threads to get a laugh out of it.

I'm tired of people acting like ###### and we have to suffer the consequences, and its nobody's fault but the craphead member thats a dick.

I agree with every decision the admins have made including editing post restrictions, but taking away post counts won't help anything.

It will help!!! You're being really narrow minded, there are whole bunch of people here who openly admint to posting purely to get a high post count, and the posts are crap.

If that reason for posting is gone, surely that leaves one reason, genuinly helping the thread starter, which is where the *focus* should lay, surely...

As I said in the other thread, the emphasis on IT has almost compeltely vanished, and neowin is turning into a kiddies playground, where the more posts you have, the better lego bits you own :)

I do think its cool having over 1000 posts, it represents some hard work, some stupid fights, and some interesting debates. But if I have to loose that, to get rid of all of these retarded posts, then I'm more than happy to.

I used to just think 'dont like it, dont read it', but when the 'active threads' search is full of them, it makes it a little harder to ignore, and when the quality of responses regarding technical problems falls as low as it appears to, then its time to at least poll public opinion, which I respect the admins for doing right now (whether that be the reason or not).

To summarise:

- I like having a high post count, who doesnt.

- I dont like the forums full of complete crap that probably belongs on www.boredschoolkid.com .

- I'll loose the former to fix the latter, because to me neowin is a IT resource first, a 'social community' second.