Post Count Question

Disabling Post Counts is good!  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

redrope

Remove post count but keep the stars.

Tim Dorr

Perhaps it should be able to be turned on, but is off by default? As a option under My Controls?

OrangesOfCourse

i like tim's idea.. :)

*i seem to have lost 60+ posts (dont care about the count.. just lot my posts..) and my profile detail changed.. my member title, sig etc.. to old ones.. i have not been on since neowin went down so anyone care to explain? sorry if its been asked lots of times..*

altezza

I would agree with Timdorr. Let the option of post count appeared on My Controls then the users will be able to view how many post counts members have. Userrs will also can switch off the post count if users wish not to see it.

OPaul

I like to see how experienced a member is, post count is a very good way of determining this. So if it is removed something should be put in its place.

shockz
Thats a load of crap.

Even spammers aren't really a problem. They are delt with before they can get a high post count. The worst spammer was scoobie, and he was dealt with.

Quailty will improve when people stop acting immature and start acting responsible enough to browse a board.

I mean seriously. We can't even edit posts after a certian amount of time because ###### will screw up their posts in threads to get a laugh out of it.

I'm tired of people acting like ###### and we have to suffer the consequences, and its nobody's fault but the craphead member thats a dick.

I agree with every decision the admins have made including editing post restrictions, but taking away post counts won't help anything.

It will help!!! You're being really narrow minded, there are whole bunch of people here who openly admint to posting purely to get a high post count, and the posts are crap.

If that reason for posting is gone, surely that leaves one reason, genuinly helping the thread starter, which is where the *focus* should lay, surely...

As I said in the other thread, the emphasis on IT has almost compeltely vanished, and neowin is turning into a kiddies playground, where the more posts you have, the better lego bits you own :)

I do think its cool having over 1000 posts, it represents some hard work, some stupid fights, and some interesting debates. But if I have to loose that, to get rid of all of these retarded posts, then I'm more than happy to.

I used to just think 'dont like it, dont read it', but when the 'active threads' search is full of them, it makes it a little harder to ignore, and when the quality of responses regarding technical problems falls as low as it appears to, then its time to at least poll public opinion, which I respect the admins for doing right now (whether that be the reason or not).

To summarise:

- I like having a high post count, who doesnt.

- I dont like the forums full of complete crap that probably belongs on www.boredschoolkid.com .

- I'll loose the former to fix the latter, because to me neowin is a IT resource first, a 'social community' second.

Maybe, but we shouldn't have to loose everything.

I like having a high post count too. I'm in the top 50. I'm not bragging or anything, but its a nice achivement to have.

I would be ****ed if yet another thing was taken away because ###### can't control their behavior.

Tim Dorr
*i seem to have lost 60+ posts (dont care about the count.. just lot my posts..) and my profile detail changed.. my member title, sig etc.. to old ones.. i have not been on since neowin went down so anyone care to explain? sorry if its been asked lots of times..*

We lost our database in the downtime and were reset back to 3 weeks ago. So, it's whatever it was 3 weeks ago :s

shockz
So if it is removed something should be put in its place.

So what would be in its place, just about everything you could think of would be abused.

OrangesOfCourse
We lost our database in the downtime and were reset back to 3 weeks ago. So, it's whatever it was 3 weeks ago :s

my member title and stuff like that were like that for about 2 months now.. :s

OPaul
So what would be in its place, just about everything you could think of would be abused.

I think it was mentioned on the first page but I think something like noting if someone is a Beginner, Experienced and so on using post count as a reference would work out very well.

MxxCon

karma system would be interesting(i'm pretty sure i'll be all the way on the buttom ;) ) or total post/days since joined...or no post count at all

Jay

Cara's (or sphere's, whoever) idea couldn't be abused, because only staff would be able to "rate" members :)

Jon

/me points to the post count arguement ages ago where i suggested points awarded for level of helpfulness, you ignored it then!!! maybe i need to wear a dress next time I suggest something ;)

Jay
/me points to the post count arguement ages ago where i suggested points awarded for level of helpfulness, you ignored it then!!! maybe i need to wear a dress next time I suggest something ;)

Hmm, couldn't hurt ... :shifty:

xsivforce
Perhaps it should be able to be turned on, but is off by default? As a option under My Controls?

Another good idea. :yes:

Jon
Hmm, couldn't hurt ... :shifty:

:wacko: scared. very very scared :blink:

Gator

Unfortunately there are those who live and die by raising their post counts, thinking their lives will change as they hit each 1,000 post milestone. Quality of quantity folks!!

I like the idea of turning posts off in the forums and only having them visible in user profiles.

shockz
Cara's (or sphere's, whoever) idea couldn't be abused, because only staff would be able to "rate" members :)

OK. That would be acceptable, however a lot of work for the staff to rate each member.

Cara
OK. That would be acceptable, however a lot of work for the staff to rate each member.

Actually it wouldn't, just have a link visable only to Mods which we could click as we read though threads which would add a +1 to the User's Karma. :) It wouldn't take any more time than any of our other stuff does right now. :)

Keldyn

It would make a useful system when recruiting future staff too. Their contributions would be evident as marked beside their name. Now that's good karma....;)

shockz

Alright. Now Karma sounds good. I'm all for it now.

Keldyn

Alright then. I propose that postcounts remain, but with the option of switching them off via cp. (much the same way as sigs). This way everyone is happy. In addition we implement Cara's karma system. (heh, rhymes ;) . I think it will better enable staff to identify our more positive contributors. This way everyone will be awarded as per their experience/contribution level. This will keep everything fair. Staff members will be exempt of course. We know we are cool lol!

Steven
Alright then. I propose that postcounts remain, but with the option of switching them off via cp. (much the same way as sigs). This way everyone is happy. In addition we implement Cara's karma system. (heh, rhymes ;) . I think it will better enable staff to identify our more positive contributors. This way everyone will be awarded as per their experience/contribution level. This will keep everything fair. Staff members will be exempt of course. We know we are cool lol!

That works, simple comprimise.

People who want their post count get to keep them and people who don't want to seem them have the choice to hide them.

The option should be enabled by default to show your post count.

-xStainDx

Nautica

also there should be a bar of some kind that fills up when you do lots of good deeds....

I can see neowin getting very helpfull after that lol

sphere

Grrr... I think I am invisible. :ninja:

Next time I might use Jon's suggestion and wear the dress next time.

*looks in the direction of Cara* :shifty: