Post Count Question

Disabling Post Counts is good!  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Disabling Post Counts is good!

• Yes, I agree
    • Noooooooooooooooooooo

The karma system is ok. Not infallable though. You'd almost have to lay down a set of rules for the system that only the staff know. And I would rather have this karma system only viewable by the staff. We don't need to know what rating everyone else has. If need be, only make a users karma rating available to themselves (and staff).

Why are people wanting ANY kind of rating system? I don't see what the point is. When you have a question, and someone answers incorrectly, there's always two or three people that post to correct the mistake. The only "rating" system the normal members need is the date joined. If your here for a month reading posts/posting, you know who the trouble makers are, and who is here to help. It's not hard to figure out. Maybe someone can tell me why they want a rating system at all?

AND, why even implement the Karma system if you keep the post count an option in the cp? All the post count ###### have to do, is turn it on in their cp. This won't change anything, and they'll keep posting junk. If you do away with the post count (visible only in the profile) you have to do it all the way, otherwise it's pointless to change anything.

As I said in the other thread, the emphasis on IT has almost compeltely vanished, and neowin is turning into a kiddies playground, where the more posts you have, the better lego bits you own

I cannot even begin to put in words how true this is.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much good a karma system does for this type of forum. I tend to agree that post count is unnecessary as well, but once in a while I like to just look over and say "Whoa....I have xxxx posts". It gives you an idea of what you've done.

those who say that the post counts are bad, are those with the higher post counts. So those people are taking the post-count system for granted

those who say that the post counts are bad, are those with the higher post counts. So those people are taking the post-count system for granted

Erm...?

We are willing to loose all of our hardwork effectively. We are far from taking it forgranted, we are recognising that it has caused neowin to change, for the worse in (most of) our eyes.

I'm not sure why you'd want to turn it around, surely its better for people on low post counts, meaning your posts will no longer be skimped over, but taken seriously (as they should have in the first place).

if i had as many posts as keldyn id complain and say, keep the post count, but since im nowhere near that amount of posts, i say, go ahead and take em away, it most likely will make posts much more quality based.

:edit: Oh and i mean no offense to keldyn, he truely does provide us quality posts, just used him as an example cuz he has the most posts

Basically what you are looking at doing is changing the class system within the Neowin community to one based on recommendations from one based on just the number of posts. And this isn't necessarily a bad thing, because of the whole reason that this thread was started in the first place by Neobond - abuse of the system. If you leave the post counts as an option though that can still appear in the thread, you really haven't solved anything - the people that think their post count should be as high as possible with the "LOL" responses etc. will leave them showing - for that very reason. Post counts should only be visible in the profile, that way if a user is interested in how much someone else has posted, they can check it out there - heck, they might even get to learn a little more about the user by reading any information they put in it.

Maybe post counts can only be visible to those that have X number of recommendations - and it should be a fairly high number, determined by the staff, so that it is actually a really cool goal to get - if you see someone that can show their post counts in the thread, then you KNOW that they have done well and contributed to the community.

What the staff/mods will have to do though is a set a bunch of ground rules about recommending posts that both they and the community should follow (everyone should be able to see what the rules are). What you want to avoid is creating the people that might be jealous or accuse other people of abusing this system by sucking up to the mods etc.

Actually I Voted No.

<==== Has high Post count

Let this issue go away, and implement the option to show/hide in the user cp.

Edited by xStainDx

i didn't bother to read through this entire thread so i'm sure someone else already said that all having a visible(even in the profile) postcount does is promote spamming/useless posts, i'm so tired of reading threads here where the only reply is "lol" and then their half page sig, post count ###### are the worst kind of forum poster.

Hmm, guess I must not see these threads where the replies are "LOL!"....I've only seen the majority of those in the jokes forum....where I think they're perfectly acceptable.

I am noticing though that people with higher post count care about posts (thus really see an importance in post count)

and people with lower, don't...

there should have been a "don't care" option..

I mean, does it really matter either way.. I would take an advice from someone with 1 post and a someone who has 5000... doesn't mean that the one with 5000 is right.. does it..

it looks like its going to become a hierachy.. :o with that I might look other places.. then

From all the stuff I've read so far I'd pick post counts visible in profile only/disabled by default turned on in UserCP and the karma system visible to staff.

You can do what I've seen on a few other forums. The post count is hidden by default and you can only see it by entering someones profile but it's not visible on the forums. Perhaps this will stop the post count ###### but still offer a sorta guide to new members as to members with experience if they need any help.

I like this idea. The post counts are just gonna get run up by people, and a experience level thing is not a true indicator.

Well, I don't get what a karma system visible to the staff does. If someone's good, you generally don't have to touch their posts. If they're bad, they get closed or banned, so what's a karma system do for you?

About "Karma":

1. Perhaps you **** someone off. And so they, and their 5+ friends here decide to vote you down just because they don't like you. You may not have meant to **** someone off, hell, you might not even know you did, but what stops them from voting you down?

2. Not everything is equal. Some guy, who has been here for ages, and is well known, gets voted up a lot because people like him and he's a veteran (and of course, he's helpful). But the poor newbie to the forums, who may be just as helpful, might not get the same or possibly anywhere near the same recognition for his posts (we're assuming newbie's posts are on par or even more helpful than veteran's).

3. Like someone stated before, what's to stop people from getting some buddies together to vote each other up?

Personally, I like the idea of hiding the post counts except in profiles. Also, the stopping of "Yay! 1,000 posts!" threads. To be quite honest, I, and others, view THAT as spam.

On the subject of the "Yay! 1,000 posts!" threads:

Ask yourself -

How does it benefit the community?

What exactly do these threads contribute?

Especially annoying are the "So-and-so has reached 1,000 posts! Good job!". That's even more pointless. I totally endorse praising others, but not for post counts.

Cause we can instantly see who is quality, although I'd say that we've got a good estimation already ;)

Yeah the staff know already who helps and who doesn't. The karma indicator would be there (in my mind) as just another reference for future staff people, and future bannings.

I still have yet to hear why we need any rating system visable to the board as a whole. I'm really interested to hear other's opinions on it.

the people who help generally show themselves and when they do post to help you you know they are helping you

there is no real need to have any rating system. period. as you know who helps etc as they are normally answering questions in his/her field and are active in his/her are - for instance im active most in web programming

you get to know who is helpful and who is not like that you dont need a rating system of any sort really

Well i was looking forward to getting 1000 counts but then i got restricted to view and post counts didnt matter to me i just realised how many questions i wanted to ask people, so yer [MODE=simpsons/cheif wiggum] take em down boys [MODE] :D

No post counts would be much better, the staff one could get biasd though. :/ No post counts would be better, and it would stop pointless " :laugh: " threads. :)

yes, do away with them, or make them an option in your control panel to be displayed or not, no by default.

if you want to see how long somewhere has been around or how experienced they are, just look at the member join date.

i admit, it may not have been wise of me to create all the thread i had in the past congratulating people on post milestones, maybe it's more understandable for birthdays. and that if someone wants one for post count milestone, they can make one themselves.

i really don't think we should have any method of rateing anyone. just knowing of someone and how helpful they are is good enough. most people know who to turn to to ask for help and if someone else sees soemone looking for help and can help them, well, they could post to help out. as for the new poeple, well, it doesn't take long for them to search and browse around the forums to see what all is there to offer them.

i think it is about time to do away with post counts, i think it's been considered for a long time, with all the closing of unnecessary made for no reason to up post count and threads that have post count disabled. i may have only been a member for a short time but have been here long enough to know what neowin is really about, and there's no need to rate someone.

why would you want to keep track of everything you've posted anyway?

if you want to see how long somewhere has been around or how experienced they are, just look at the member join date.
They could be inactive or only post like two times, and those two posts could have been - LOL and Thanks for the info.
i really don't think we should have any method of rateing anyone. just knowing of someone and how helpful they are is good enough. most people know who to turn to to ask for help and if someone else sees soemone looking for help and can help them, well, they could post to help out. as for the new poeple, well, it doesn't take long for them to search and browse around the forums to see what all is there to offer them.

Maybe, but as said before it would be helpful in selecting new staff. It would also be nice for a new person to see how creditable and helpfull that person is. It can also possibly help you judge for yourself if this person is smart in the area he is talking about.

why would you want to keep track of everything you've posted anyway?

Records, clerical... why do you keep track of anything.

thanks for all the excellent feedback everyone. i'm sure this is more than what neobond was looking for. it'll be reviewed and discussed.

thread closed