Apple's secret product is 'MacBook Touch'

Get ready for Newton 2.0 MacBook touch?!

So says our source ? the same one who tipped us to wireless iTunes Store sales direct to iPod, iPhone a week before Apple debuted it ? in staccato fashio"Think MacBook screen, possibly a bit smaller, in glass with iPhone-like, but fuller-featured Multi-Touch. Gesture library. Full Mac OS X. This is why they bought P.A. Semi. Possibly with Immersion's haptic tech. Slot-loading SuperDrive. Accelerometer. GPS. Pretty expensive to produce initially, but sold at "low" price that will reduce margins. Apple wants to move these babies. And move they will. This is some sick ****. App Store-compatible, able to run Mac apps, too. By October at the latest."

MacDailyNews Note: This is a rumor. We have no other information. We cannot confirm this information independently at this time, but felt it plausible enough to bring to your attentio"We are working to develop new products that contains technologies that our competition will not be able to match. I cannot discuss these new products, but we are very confident in our product pipeline." - Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer, during Apple's Q308 Financial Results Conference Call, July 21, 2008

MacDailyNews

Guess the next round of battle between Win and Mac will be on touching stuff. There sure is a lot of potential in here but I hope both camps would come up with usable hardware.

Cool product, but tablets have failed to become "the big thing". Having that said, Apple is really the only ones that can pull this off, in my opinion.

Now, if only we could get eeePC touch :D

Will it have an optic-drive or no? :iiam:

Or maybe the touch-screen reads CDROMs..."simply place the disc on the touch surface" :woot:

Will it have an optic-drive or no? :iiam:

Or maybe the touch-screen reads CDROMs..."simply place the disc on the touch surface" :woot:

According to the source, there'll be a slot loading SuperDrive.

im not sure.... nice indeed, if true, and potentially successful, with multitouch and all, i suppose... but... aww, maybe im just more like the old school guy, i prefare mouse/touchpad and keyboard. what if you were to type something on train or on a plane, like some emails or an essey? are you supposed to type that on an iphone-like virtual keyboard? i dont think so.

something like that works on devices like iphones. you dont type novels on that. but on a laptop, you might want to do that. and carrying an external keyboard with you really sucks.

yea, at home you might be able to connect a keyboard and a mouse (see mock-up) and that does look very cool i must admit but on a real computer like the macbook is supposed to be, a multi-touch-only input doesnt make too much sense, i would say...

but nevertheless - very cool and definately a step in the right direction, keeping future in mind.

if that was true.

(i would btw. love the concept if there was a keyboard built in and a spinnable display like in some of the tablet-pcs today. that would make sense i guess - multitouch-goodness plus the convienience of having a keyboard on the go.)

Then Microsoft cry. Oh dear.

This is supposed to be in Windows 7. Guess it's going to be a race to see who gets it our the door first.

Well if this product is supposed to show up for October, then it'll be out of the door well before Windows 7.

Not sure about this - though the mock up pictures helped me get a better idea of a potential product. The music keyboard was an interesting microcosm of what the machine could be capable of doing. Interesting stuff indeed.

WTF, why don't we just bring back the Quadra 630, 660, Centris 610, Performa 5200, 6200, Power Macintosh 4400, 5500, 6500, 7300, 8600, 9600, Apple Newton, PowerBook 140,170,185, 3400c so that there's the perfect Macintosh for everyone? :D

There's too many Macs. Three models per line is plenty enough, IMO.

wow this is really slick. they should call it the Slick, actually ;)

this will be a great accessory for all those A&F wearing, MTV watching 17 yr olds :p

jk

For the record for those that don't know the difference, this is NOT a competitor to tablet PC's as it won't have a tablet, it'll have a touch screen.

A tablet pc is an artists tool, this isa new version of the failed concept of smartscreens, wich had touch screens, but very slow CPU's because they where meant to be used as terminals mainly.

sure they could add in both a tablet and a touch screen, though that would recude the quality of the tablet somewhat, and it'd be very expensive, the cintiq that is what is the screen on most tablet pc's is allready making them expensive as hell.

And as for the article claiming Apple will make this thing cheap to "push" them... HAH yeah right, that'll be the day. the apple fans will buy it whatever the price, and there's no way they're going to be taking a loss on it, and with the hardware they're adding in, it's not going to be cheap.

Personally I still don't see why peopel would want to swing their arms all over a damn computer screen, messing it up with finger makrs and in addition, in stead of havign full control with inor movements with a 5+ button mouse, it's a hell of a lot more efficient, and it's why Smart screens failed and tablets PC still live. And that's despite the fact that smart screen wheren't even meant for consumers, but for use in hospitals and such as digital infoboards and such for the nurses instead of carrying notepads and such around, a role that was taken over by the smaller and more suitable origami/UMPC.

Wow did they copied from windows 7?

Apple start you photocopiers...

Haha, as much as I love your comment, but I think it's best not to start that argument with the Apple fanboys' "wediditfirst" attitudes.

Competition is competition and all of the competitors borrow ideas to make products better, in the end it gives ALL of the consumers better stuff.

For the record for those that don't know the difference, this is NOT a competitor to tablet PC's as it won't have a tablet, it'll have a touch screen.

A tablet pc is an artists tool, this isa new version of the failed concept of smartscreens, wich had touch screens, but very slow CPU's because they where meant to be used as terminals mainly.

sure they could add in both a tablet and a touch screen, though that would recude the quality of the tablet somewhat, and it'd be very expensive, the cintiq that is what is the screen on most tablet pc's is allready making them expensive as hell.

And as for the article claiming Apple will make this thing cheap to "push" them... HAH yeah right, that'll be the day. the apple fans will buy it whatever the price, and there's no way they're going to be taking a loss on it, and with the hardware they're adding in, it's not going to be cheap.

Personally I still don't see why peopel would want to swing their arms all over a damn computer screen, messing it up with finger makrs and in addition, in stead of havign full control with inor movements with a 5+ button mouse, it's a hell of a lot more efficient, and it's why Smart screens failed and tablets PC still live. And that's despite the fact that smart screen wheren't even meant for consumers, but for use in hospitals and such as digital infoboards and such for the nurses instead of carrying notepads and such around, a role that was taken over by the smaller and more suitable origami/UMPC.

people will still buy with their arms and legs because there's an apple logo >.> its a sad reality of this world.

you do make a good point... from what is rumored, it seems more like a screen with touch capability rather than something that is tablet pc like... but we dont know for sure...