Call of Duty 4, Neowin Style!

Hey,

Tonight during our Bad Company match, Call of Duty 4 was mentioned a few times and seems like a few of us are interested in playing again.

So wanted to know, would anybody be up for a few matches this weekend? ( Drunkn, Kick, Larry etc. )

Only real problem is the gamemode, I know quite a few of us prefer Hardcore modes, Search and Destroy and Deatmatch while others like the regular modes, Headquarters.

So would anyone be up for some Hardcore Search & Destroy tomorrow evening or Saturday at around 9-10 PM ( British Time ).

Feel free to suggest some other game-modes, but I'm stubborn and sticking to Hardcore :laugh: So C'mon all you regular players, get on the Hardcore train!

At least we won't have to text message co-workers and worry about everyone getting in :rofl: Ranks and skills doesn't matter, we're here to have fun.

EDIT: Damn, was meant to be in the Microsoft section :blush:

Well, parties are limited to 6 aren't they? Hardcore S&D is alright, get some serious points with that although not played COD4 for ages now!

LOL @ co-workers!!!

When you have 12 players, it's not private, unless you choose to - You still get points.

You managed that before, two parties trying to join the same game will be hard! Unless there is an easy way I don't know about!

What? You just invite 12 people to the lobby and search for a game-mode - Then it'll just be 6 vs 6 with points

You gotta remember, Call of Duty has a proper lobby system :laugh:

I'm in. I'll suck to begin with though until I get to grips with it again and I only really played Team Deathmatch before. So I will need to learn the rules of the other game types etc.

I think I need something to break up the matches of BF though, it's a little stressful just now and I think it's because I have played so intensely the past week.

What? You just invite 12 people to the lobby and search for a game-mode - Then it'll just be 6 vs 6 with points

You gotta remember, Call of Duty has a proper lobby system :laugh:

But I seem to remember when I had a party of 8 , it wouldn't let me search cause I had more than 6 or am I mistaken?

Oh and not to derail this awesome topic. Anyone else up for this?

That's true, 6 is the 'first' limit, then you need 12 people when you go above that.

And don't worry Munky, don't think most of us have played for quite a while. We are just going to take it slow and suck together :rofl:

As mentioned in the BF:BC thread I'm willing to give it a go, but I suck BIG TIME at it, and will have to be guided through the perks etc. I don't want to be booted off or ridiculed for using the pistol when you die perk :)

If you decide on it give me an invite or say when it will be, I have added most as friends on live now (if I still havent done so for anyone please feel free to add me, tag is in my sig)

Don't worry John, there will be no players booted off - Every perk and weapon is allowed and you know, we will help you with everything you need (Y)

So for now, I'll set the first match for tomorrow evening at 10PM British Time, Hardcore Search & Destroy - So sign up if you are interested and is able to play!

( Note: Thread was meant for the Microsoft section, so sorry to the PS3 owners )

Could someone quickly run through some of the game types and the rules of them. I can't find any info online.

Game manual should say I think? Search and destroy is basically a bomb game. One team plants, other team defuses and so on!

Hmm, sounds interesting but I don't play the hardcore modes much. I stick to Domination and Headquaters. Drunkn or Dirty if you guys read this, I will be on as well this weekend if we want to get a second killer team going.

Don't worry John, there will be no players booted off - Every perk and weapon is allowed and you know, we will help you with everything you need (Y)

So for now, I'll set the first match for tomorrow evening at 10PM British Time, Hardcore Search & Destroy - So sign up if you are interested and is able to play!

Count me in Soldier ... oh wait, wrong game :p

Could someone quickly run through some of the game types and the rules of them. I can't find any info online.

Yes! Absolutely! I do indeed concur! Wholeheartedly! ... or would a simple "yes" suffice?

Thread Moved

I might have to get in on this. I haven't played COD4 online (yeah yeah, I know :$), but I always had fun with you guys in Halo 3. If I have some free time I'll try to jump on and play a little bit.

.Kick just posted this URL to me, but posting it here for others also if they plan to join us and need a reminder!

-----------------------

Call of Dity 4 Multiplayer Game Modes

Free For All

A game where everybody is on their own team trying to kill each other. This game a silenced gun is a must. You go up to two hundred fifty points, but with ten points a kill that's the first person to kill twenty-five people. To master the game mode the gun options are numerous, so pick one that works for you. The majority of the maps will have a different gun that will work best. Usually if you have the overkill perk picking a silenced M16 and a M4 or P90 will lead you to a successful game. The M16's iron sights can easily pick off others, while the M4 or P90 are at your disposal for close quarters situations in the game. If you don't have the overkill perk go with the M16 or M4. You will receive decent points in this game for the amount of time a game lasts, but I still do not see this as a feasible way to bring your rank up as you get higher. Once again this is a game mode that is probably more for fun than for actual experience points.

Team Deathmatch

Team deathmatch is by far the most populated game variant on Call of Duty 4. It's straight up combat with no objectives other than to kill the opposing team. You can walk wherever you want with no need to spring across the map in a hurry. This leads to the danger of many helicopters and air strikes though. Increased number of campers than in other game modes, but it does give a more real life game situation. You receive ten experience points per kill, and a match bonus at the end. This is a quicker game to play, yet the winning team can only get seventy-five kills, which leads to virtually no experience points. Play this game mode for fun, as it's not going to help you raise your ranking that much when you get into the higher levels.

Search and Destroy

Much like a Counter-Strike bomb game, there is one bomb and two places to place it. One team tries to defend both places, while the other team tries to plant the bomb. There is no respawns in this game, so once you die, you are out for the round. This can lead to a tough choice on what gun to use. The answer is not an easy one. The gun you should use totally depends on the map. A good gun if you don't have the overkill would be the M4. Many guns will be more effective on different maps so you'll have to experiment with them. You get fifty points for a kill, and one hundred points for either arming or defusing the bomb. This is a great way to earn points because you can earn five times the amount of points per kill than in deathmatch, and ten times what you get in headquarters.

Team Domination

Team domination is a very busy game. You have several flags across the map that you must capture, and defend. Your team scores points based on how many flags you're holding for a certain length of time. You score goes up quicker when more flags are held than the other team and slower when you have fewer. You get experience points based on kills, five points each, capturing a flag, and then the points your team gets for holding them are also counted as experience for you. Decent game mode if you can get a few good streaks going to get a helicopter and air strike. Keys things to do would be to defend a flag in the middle from an area you cannot get shot. So you should either camp a good distance away with a sniper, or nearby with a mini machine gun or other automatic gun with medium range.

Sabotage

Sabotage is a very fast paced game mode. It is very similar to search and destroy as there is only one bomb and it must be armed on the enemy's base. The difference is it's a neutral bomb and you must fight to keep them from arming it at your base while trying to bring it to theirs. A lot of back and forth action that can lead to some long, fun games yet it is a rather simple objective. The gun you would use is completely dependant upon the map and the role you decide you would like to play. If you plan on defending you may want an M203, but if you plan to attack you would want an M4, MP5, or shotgun. It is pretty easy to get kills in this as there are unlimited respawns yet you get a pretty long respawns time. Five points a kill, one hundred for arming or disarming a bomb. It's pretty easy to learn, and a great way to experience.

Headquarters

The most popular game mode other than team deathmatch is headquarters. The objective is to try to set up a radio at a randomly spawned spot. Both teams rush for it, and once it is captured by a team they must defend it. The twist is that if your team captures it, you do not get to respawns. So once the headquarters are captured you might want to try camping somewhere close. You get a point for every second you hold the headquarters. The game goes to two hundred fifty points. You get one experience point for every second held, and five points a kill. You get a bonus ten for arming or disarming it. An automatic gun is a must here, along with three frag grenades. If you don't have the frags then go with the three flash bangs. Great game to earn experience points, as some games the better players get over one thousand including the match bonus.

Cage Match

Straight up one on one. You have to pick up the guns and perks as you go, and when you pick one up the area is lit up to your enemy so take caution in what you pick up. Not much strategy here. Simply kill the enemy. You start off with a rather weak sub machine gun. The best way to win is to camp once you get the lead. Not very good experience though as most games become a tie, especially on the bigger maps leading to less than one hundred from the actual game play, and around one hundred from the match bonus. Mostly for fun and it is a lot of fun showing somebody up one on one.

Old School Free For All

Simple free for all game as stated above except you have to pick up all the guns as in the cage match, and your guy can jump higher. This is a favorite to some of the original call of duty gamers.

Ground War

This game mode is just bigger team games of domination and team deathmatch. Strategy is the same just more people to kill, and be killed by. This is a fun game mode to practice for the smaller versions as when you go to fewer people you will find it much easier.

Team Hardcore

Same as team deathmatch only there is no radar at all except when you or your team gets a UAV. This is the best game mode to snipe in as every shot will not give your position away. Snipers and M16s are the best guns to use in this game mode as many people camp, and you want to stay to the sides and avoid the campers.

Hardcore Search and Destroy

Same as regular search and destroy except no radar unless there is a UAV up. You want to stick with an M16 while attacking, and a sniper or M16 while defending. You can use these as you will not show up on the radar when shooting.

Team Tactical

This is the smallest team game type possible. It's three on three deathmatch, headquarters, search and destroy, sabotage, and domination. This is a fun way to mix it up, and if you're good enough a good way to raise that highest kill streak.

Hopefully this guide has taught you a few things you didn't know. With enough practice all these strategies will become very helpful, and as you get used to some of these guns you will start to become the difference between your team winning and losing.

Source: http://www.gameolosophy.com/Games/Action/C...ategies.68941/1

I totally missed this thread. I'm definitely in.

I'll be up to play HQ, Domination, Team Deathmatch, Sabotage, Ground War (Domination & Team Deathmatch), and I'll give Search and Destroy a go. Like Mystic, I don't play hardcore.

Unless I missed this, was it decided if we are going to do private or public matches?

I didn't think about posting this earlier, so I'll just say it now. For those that aren't able to join up with Sethos or just want to have some fun, send me a friend invite cause I know I still don't have a lot of Neowin people added to my XBL other than GreenEye, Dirty, etc.