Google Chrome Browser

obviously it needs a bit more polish, but I kind of like it.

That said, I miss the few extensions that I use with FF, so for the time being I'm not making any sort of permanent switch. But I'm definitely going to keep an eye on how the updates go.

Another downside is the lack of a dedicated search field, this is instead built in to the address bar where typing in a search term will bring you straight to google with the query. You can indeed change the default search engine you want to use in the options, so you're not completely out, but it is a 5 click process to do so. The only real deal breaker for me is the complete lack of RSS support. I understand they want stability over features, but RSS has really become part of my everyday browsing routine. In my opinion, this is a key feature that needs to be implemented quickly.

I miss that too, ALOT of sites, like Neowin, Wowarmory, etc take advantage of the search box, and I miss that.

holy ****! This browser is FAST, and the JavaScript is FASTER. the dromaeo and sunspider marks are CRAZY.My first reaction is... are they CHEATING?! well, I still have my doubts, but if they are not cheating, then they have a JavaScript engine that basically blows all competitions out of water! :cool:

Well I downloaded this Google browser and been using it for about 45 minutes and I must say that I am very impressed. Should they continue to improve this product, it will give IE, Firefox and Opera a run for its money. This browser is very nice indeed and very fast.

holy ****! This browser is FAST, and the JavaScript is FASTER. the dromaeo and sunspider marks are CRAZY.My first reaction is... are they CHEATING?! well, I still have my doubts, but if they are not cheating, then they have a JavaScript engine that basically blows all competitions out of water! :cool:

That's because they convert javascript into machine code, basically making all of the code run natively on your computer, which is why it runs so much faster. It's pretty clever, really.

Wow, just comparing Chrome to Firefox and Opera, there's a huge difference. Chrome is almost 4 times faster!

They said in the webcast they haven't submitted any patches to webkit dev yet.

Once they merge with the webkit dev, there will be hopefully nightly's done for chrome.

I would expect a few months for this to happen or possibly tomorrow, who knows.

with a completely new JavaScript engine, I doubt a merge will happen any time soon.

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

Does this mean if I upload a photo to Neowin, Google has also received a copy of that photo, and can do what they want with it?

That's because they convert javascript into machine code, basically making all of the code run natively on your computer, which is why it runs so much faster. It's pretty clever, really.

well, I knew that, but judging from past performance improvements from SquirrelFish and TraceMonkey, I didn't expect THAT much of quantum leap :|

It seems they have already perfectly solved the problem of performance issues of full JIS compilation that TraceMonkey is trying to solve for the next year before Firefox 4. Now that means they are at least a full year ahead of their competitions. In the era of web technology, that's a HUGE lead :cool:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10030522-56.html

Be Sure to Read Chrome's Fine Print

1. Google reserves the right to automatically update and install Chrome.

This is becoming standard fare with much software these days, but worth noting.

"The software which you use may automatically download and install updates from time to time from Google. These updates are designed to improve, enhance and further develop the services and may take the form of bug fixes, enhanced functions, new software modules and completely new versions. You agree to receive such updates (and permit Google to deliver these to you) as part of your use of the services."

2. Although you retain any copyrights to content you own and use in the browser, Google says it has a right to display some of your content, in conjunction with promoting its services. Here's their exact wording.

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

3. Don't be surprised to see more ads.

Traditionally, it is Web pages and not the browser itself that serves ads. Google isn't saying it will change this paradigm, but it's terms of service don't rule that out either.

"Some of the services are supported by advertising revenue and may display advertisements and promotions. These advertisements may be targeted to the content of information stored on the services, queries made through the services or other information.

The manner, mode and extent of advertising by Google on the services are subject to change without specific notice to you."

Also worth paying attention to are the settings when you install it. By default, Chrome will add all manner of shortcuts, so if you don't want it to do that, be sure to click "customize these settings." Of note, it does not make itself the default browser without a user agreeing to do so.

so i take it i'm the only who can not install this... damn.. :(

It will not run if you are using Symantec Endpoint Protection. If gives an error. Uninstall that and it should work.