Nintendo announces DSi

Hmm, the battery life is a bit of a drag. I'm curious to see just exactly how they measure these differences anyway. The processing power is EXACTLY the same, so I'd like to see what's sucking up this extra juice.

Bigger, brighter screens.

Wow what a joke, Nintendo are getting worse and worse, where are the updated graphics?

Not necessary is where they are. DS games look (and more importantly, PLAY) fine. Some of us happen to LIKE highly-detailed 2D graphics every bit as much as we like polygons.

Whats the point in releasing a dual touch screen DS where all the new dual touchscreen games cant be played on a previous DS, theres no incentive to upgrade.

This I agree with - it's the same mistake Microsoft made when they made the hard drive optional in the Xbox 360.

Ive lost all respect for Nintendo, pandering to the fracking casual gaming crowd with its crap graphics in the Wii and DS.

Oh for chrissakes. Someone has to give casuals what they want, and Nintendo happens to be good at it. Would you rather casual gamers be left out in the cold with nothing to play or only half-assed attempts at casual games by companies who don't know how to make them fun like Nintendo does?

dsi3.jpg

During their Fall Press Conference today, Nintendo have - as expected - announced a new version of the Nintendo DS. Called the Nintendo DSi, it eschews the GBA slot (boo!) in favour of a slight downsizing (it's a little thinner) and a range of improvements. The handheld's screens have been enlarged, and will now be 17% bigger (at 3.25 inches) than those found on the DS Lite. As for the rumoured additions, both have proven to be correct, with "audio enhancements" made to the handheld, while it will also now include a .3 megapixel (640x480) camera. And that's just the start of it.

The DSi also features an SD memory card slot, making it possible to take pictures with the DSi and then view them on the Nintendo Wii. The DSi features a built-in browser, and it's possible to download games and keep them on the DSi.

datecolours.jpg

For digital delivery purchases, there is a DSi Shop, from which users can download DSiWare from. Pricing categories for the DSiWare are: Free, 200 points, 500 points and "Premium" or 800 points. Customers will get 1000 free points to spend at the DSi Shop that are good until March 2010.

The DSi will be released in Japan on November 1. It will retail for ¥18,900 (USD$180), and will be available in two colours, white and black. It will be released in other markets sometime "next year".

Source: Kotaku

In case it isnt clear.

Being a smart*** doesn't change the fact that there is a camera available for the psp. Jeez, what are you trying to prove anyway??

Being a smart*** doesn't change the fact that there is a camera available for the psp. Jeez, what are you trying to prove anyway??

Nothing.

Im just guessing that since you slide the memory stick inside the PSP, you'll say that the PSP has internal storage too. :rolleyes:

Great, so they actually went ahead and removed the GBA slot. Pretty stupid move IMO, Guitar Hero springs to mind as a game that won't play on the DSi (N)

Not sure if I like the new design, there's something nice about the glossy DS, though the matte finish will probably last longer. The dual cameras are a nice addition, though I can't see what good they'll be at this point. What they really need is some sort of killer app - I already have a phone that takes pictures, Nintendo, what else can the camera be used for?

I'm going to wait and see what else is in offer features-wise, but right now I'm not really liking it.

Also, what's with the sudden fascination again with the lowercase "i"? Core i7, DSi...starting to get a bit irritating.

Well it's not really sudden, Apple has been doing it for years..I'm actually surprised Apple isn't suing Intel/Nintendo over it :p I guess considering how popular the Apple "i" products are these days, Intel/Nintendo are trying to cash in on it perhaps?

Disappointed really that it's not a new handheld altogether with a graphics upgrade etc. Probably gonna give it a miss until it drops in price at least. I'm perfectly happy with my DSL just now, and the new features I already have on other devices anyway..

+1

The dip in battery life actually is quite disappointing if it's what it's reported to be.

The screens aren't that much bigger either.

Happy with my current till the next real DS (Y)

It really has to support wpa/wpa2. I would not drop my wifi encryption on my router to wep .

Had to buy the wifi dongle just to connect with the old DS.

Wow what a joke, Nintendo are getting worse and worse, where are the updated graphics?

Whats the point in releasing a dual touch screen DS where all the new dual touchscreen games cant be played on a previous DS, theres no incentive to upgrade.

if you read any of the updates... it's NOT a dual-touch screen... they are just bigger...

Who cares about a camera or a memory slot. Its just like Apple giving you the same device over and over again just with slightly updated features.

I want a powerful DS with graphics better than the PSP.

Those comments were a joke right?? You do realize that this is an REFRESH on the DS... not a replacement...

Why in the world would Nintendo want to replace the most successful handheld the market has even seen now? They are still #1 on all the sales charts and they have great momentum now. If they were to replace the DS with a new DS2... it would be like shooting them self in the foot. It's like the phrase says: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Updateding the graphics or making the hardware more powerfull WOULD be a replacment... not a refresh...

replacments are done to gain back the market... refresh are simply to hype up the market more.

Yeah, this is like the DS fat to DS Lite, and now it's DS Lite to DS "Liter" :p

I haven't touched my DSL in months, I think I should pickup a game or two and dust it off?

Just for my info the psp has 802.11b; Does the DS have 802.11b/g or just b?

both of the previous NDS's only supported 802.11b along with WEP encryption.

IMO, 802.11g and WPA/WPA2 support is a most for the DSi

But then again... the PSP still only supports b :(

Well it's not really sudden, Apple has been doing it for years..I'm actually surprised Apple isn't suing Intel/Nintendo over it :p I guess considering how popular the Apple "i" products are these days, Intel/Nintendo are trying to cash in on it perhaps?

Apple already tried to do stuff like that a while back... (I think it was over the iRiver... not sure..), but they failed :p they couldn't licenses the pre-fix "i" - even though they tried pretty hard lol

How the hell is having a camera a con?

I wasn't saying that having a camera was the con, rather the camera only being 0.3MP. If the outside cam turns out to be 3MP then it's obviously a pro, but sites still have conflicting reports.

By the way, NOE's website lists the DSi for being released in Europe between March and May next year.

Really? A camera. .3 MP no less. What a waste. Make it more powerful! Use the space for something worthwhile! The only reason to have this is if they are going to fix Nintendo WiFi and make video chat a possibility!

It will all come down to the online store for me. I don't really care about the camera (my phone is more readily accessible than my DS in 99% of instances), and the screens on my current DS are certainly big enough to get the job done. Although the dip in battery life is disappointing, 6-9 hours on medium brightness is probably something I could live with.

If the app store gets some good stuff on it, this may be a worthy replacement for my old, hinge-cracked DSL. If it's as disappointing as the iPhone app store (in terms of gaming content), they can keep it, and I'll stick with the current model.

Nothing.

Im just guessing that since you slide the memory stick inside the PSP, you'll say that the PSP has internal storage too. :rolleyes:

It has an INTERNAL reader for EXTERNAL storage. Not really the best analogy you can come up with, or is it?

See, if everyone went by your line of thought then one could say Computers don't have Optical Storage, 'cause, you know, it's an add-on. Oh, and no screens either, unless they're built in.

It's good and all, but for the last year or so, we've been just getting shovelware for it.

Minigames, your generic CG-movie-blockbuster platformers, and a few jrpgs.

Not sure how much life it's got left in it, and this won't help for the long run.

There's only so much a 33mhz processor can do.

However the SD slot screams "ROMs" so I might be getting it, since I didn't buy the first one.

Not necessary is where they are. DS games look (and more importantly, PLAY) fine. Some of us happen to LIKE highly-detailed 2D graphics every bit as much as we like polygons.

Dont get me wrong i love the classic 2d games, but 3d on the DS is really lacking, low polygon with sprite textures it just looks bad. There is no reason why you cant make 2d games on a handheld that has decent graphics.

Oh for chrissakes. Someone has to give casuals what they want, and Nintendo happens to be good at it. Would you rather casual gamers be left out in the cold with nothing to play or only half-assed attempts at casual games by companies who don't know how to make them fun like Nintendo does?

Again creating a console with good graphics doesnt mean you cant create casual games for it, a lot of Wii games are as much fun if not more fun than their big brothers, some have as much depth as a full blown big boy console game, but there is also a load of crap. As for not creating a console capable of HD graphics is inexcusable.

Im by no means a hardcore gamer, nor am i a casual gamer, i just like good graphics in games. Mario Galaxy with 360/PS3 level graphical capability would have looked out of this world, no pun intended.

As for not creating a console capable of HD graphics is inexcusable.

Im by no means a hardcore gamer, nor am i a casual gamer, i just like good graphics in games. Mario Galaxy with 360/PS3 level graphical capability would have looked out of this world, no pun intended.

You do have to understand that Nintendo doesn't cater specifically for you. Just because the "others" went with HD doesn't make it a necessity.

I'll agree that HD would look much better, but that still doesn't make it a true necessity. There's a console for each type of gamer (I bought them all just to be safe) and Nintendo decided to innovate on the software side, not just brute-force hardware like Sony/MS. The DS didn't need PSP graphics to be successful, it just innovated on gameplay and the results are well know by everyone.