Nintendo announces DSi

im not into consoles and all, but i don't see this blending well, i don't see enough difference from other consoles you know? just another brick in the wall :/

Nintendo is losing they're uniqueness?

im not into consoles and all, but i don't see this blending well, i don't see enough difference from other consoles you know? just another brick in the wall :/

Nintendo is losing they're uniqueness?

Not really, I guess you're confusing things.

This isn't a new console, just a revision of the DS. Nothing groundbreaking was expected.

Lame, Nothing worth upgrading for in my opinion.

I wanted a DS2 or something similar, not essentially the same hardware but slightly upgraded, and if there bringing out new games just for the DSi, I think that is even more lame.

hmm I'd been contemplating a DS purchase for a while - i may go with the normal DS lite.

I would like a GBA port to be honest, that over a larger screen anyway.

and stop comparing with the PSP. get a psp (aswell?) if you want the visuals you like.

I would be happy with more 2d platformers for the DS. i can play god of war on my psp if i want that sort of thing.

Edited by Shetland

You do have to understand that Nintendo doesn't cater specifically for you. Just because the "others" went with HD doesn't make it a necessity.

I never said otherwise, its just annoying how a company that always took 3rd place in console wars turns its back on the people who kept the company going by buying its products to pander for this casual gaming fad.

I never said otherwise, its just annoying how a company that always took 3rd place in console wars turns its back on the people who kept the company going by buying its products to pander for this casual gaming fad.

Well, Nintendo didn't always take 3rd place, they only got left behind during the PS/PS2 era, and besides that I don't see how they're turning their backs on "those who kept them going".

If you're not into "casual" that's fine, but "casual" is what brought them back in the first place. It seems to me that's what the majority of people are into right now (fad or not) and that is what every company is after: catering to the wider audience.

If people are starving for melons you don't feed them oranges do you?

Well, Nintendo didn't always take 3rd place, they only got left behind during the PS/PS2 era, and besides that I don't see how they're turning their backs on "those who kept them going".

They ARE turning their backs, every announcement since the Wii came out has always pandered to the casual crowd and giving a big FU to all the other gamers who bought the n64 and the gamecube despite having rubbish 3rd party support.

If you're not into "casual" that's fine, but "casual" is what brought them back in the first place. It seems to me that's what the majority of people are into right now (fad or not) and that is what every company is after: catering to the wider audience.

If i created a product that didnt do so well then created something that was insanely popular i wouldnt just stick my fingers up at the people who kept my company afloat through the tough times.

If people are starving for melons you don't feed them oranges do you?

But what about the people starving for oranges, just because the melons are more popular you dont stop selling oranges because you are making more money.

I hope the Wii/casual gaming turns round and bites them on the ass, teach them a lesson.

My apoligies to the Neowin staff for the earlier post.

It has an INTERNAL reader for EXTERNAL storage. Not really the best analogy you can come up with, or is it?

See, if everyone went by your line of thought then one could say Computers don't have Optical Storage, 'cause, you know, it's an add-on. Oh, and no screens either, unless they're built in.

Computer don't have optical storage nor do they have screens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer

You need to know what a computer is and facts befor posting because a computer does not need optical storage and it doesn't need a screen either.

My apoligies to the Neowin staff for the earlier post.

Computer don't have optical storage nor do they have screens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer

You need to know what a computer is and facts befor posting because a computer does not need optical storage and it doesn't need a screen either.

Whatever dude, whatever. :cool:

Nintendo's share price has dropped by a further 8.7% after its remodelled DS, the DSi, failed to impress investors.

The new handheld hardware, which features larger screens and a built-in camera, retails in Japan from November 1 priced 18,900 Yen (?90), but its unveiling did nothing to halt the company?s steady decline in the stock market.

"Nintendo's announcement on the DS didn't exceed investors' expectations,'" Yoku Ihara, head of equity research at Retela Crea Securities Com told Bloomberg. "The stock market was so bearish that the news didn't help the shares gain."

Nintendo?s share price has been in steady decline over recent months, with the global financial crisis and a strengthened Yen believed to be contributing factors.

The DSi's European release is expected some time in spring 2009.

[Source]

You're problably the type of guy that keeps calling his computer case "CPU";

Look, I still don't know what you're trying to achieve here. You've been taking everything literally from a simple "PSP has a camera" statement to a freakin' "computer" (as in PC) word being taken directly to a Wiki definition. I mean, come on are you serious? It ain't funny anymore, so how about taking things a bit more lightly instead of just annoying everyone else with rubbish.

As for the DSi (if you're still interested in this matter that is) it doesn't seem to be a replacement for the DSL, seems Nintendo wants them to coexist for a while, with the DSi being more targeted to the Japanese lifestyle.

Don't understand why they don't upgrade it to at least a higher res screen and slightly better graphics

Because Nintendo make a killing selling last-gen internals at current-gen prices :rofl:

I do agree though, a DS with PSP level graphics, or there abouts with touch screen(s) would be :drool:

Interesting revision. I wonder if the new additions will split the userbase.

Pros:

Bigger screens

Dual touch screens

SD slot

Slimmer

Cons:

0.3MP camera

Same design as Lite

Higher price

No GBA slot (Activision might be annoyed)

Hello two camera one 0.3 but the main camera is 3.0 mega pixels, that beats most phones! This is fast becoming a rival for the iPod Touch.

Really? A camera. .3 MP no less. What a waste. Make it more powerful! Use the space for something worthwhile! The only reason to have this is if they are going to fix Nintendo WiFi and make video chat a possibility!

Read more carefully please about the camera(s).

Hello two camera one 0.3 but the main camera is 3.0 mega pixels, that beats most phones!

I believe that both of the cameras are only 0.3MP. It just seems some sites were misinformed originally, via translation errors.

Nintendo themselves only mention 0.3MP:

For cell phones and digital cameras, manufacturers have been increasing the number of pixels in order to appeal to consumers. However, we have taken almost the opposite approach. We cannot boast about the resolution as the camera for DSi has the 300,000 pixels resolution.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference20...resen/e/02.html

1UP originally had it listed as 3MP but later fixed it to say 0.3MP. Their new article also mentions 0.3MP by numerous editors:

The new features are, honestly, less than impressive. Two .03 megapixel cameras offer all the power of the Game Boy Camera (which is to say, none) with none of the kitschy minimalist charm

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170349

They're kidding when they say the DSi's cameras are as powerful as the GB's camera, right? Because, well, I hate to break it to them but VGA resolution is a tad higher then the GB's resolution.

Yeah, I would say that part is a bit of an exaggeration to get their point across.

And in doing so, make themselves look ignorant and uninformed. Pretty silly of them really (N)