[Official] Gears of War 2

Annex and the extra achievements were part of 2 separate title updates, not DLC.

Although Hidden Fronts was 4 maps and cost just as much as this one that only has 3.

I really really want to play these maps but refuse to pay for them when the multiplayer still ahs bugs left right and center!!

Amen

But lets not forget that we got an extra 250 achievement points to go for and they also gave us a new game mode Annex - OK so annex is sh*t but thats beside the point.

Four months later the maps were made free!

Before that map pack came out we had two maps come out for free because they were sponsored by someone the name eludes me.

Now onto the new map pack which Epic have the audacity to charge us 800 points for 5 weeks after the game is released; in a broken state I herby add, which has yet to be rectified!

Fuel Station is pretty much taken from the level in Gears 1 where you pick the junker [the car thingy you drive] up from with the stranded bloke!

Gold Rush was in the PC version of Gears 1!

Flood is pretty much the only completely new map, where it features imulsion as an environmental hazard.

I say that we all boycott this map pack until the game is at least patched, because this new addition does not even represent value for money!

Discovery Channel sponsored the 2 new maps.

Glod Rush in fact a PC version map.

Boycott this f'in maps!

I'd probably buy them for 800 if MP was working. Unfortunately it's not and it's pretty much turned me off MP for the game. I do still like and play Horde (I don't have to wait very long to get into a game for that too), but I'm not buying 3 maps just to play Horde on.

-Spenser

There are a few idiots on Major Nelson's blog trying to defend Epic and Microsoft on this. I don't know why they're defending MS, it's not their fault, but they're trying to justify the poor multiplayer for the 'great' singleplayer, or that they aren't having any problems whatsoever so it must be everyone elses fault, etc. Hopefully a boycott won't be needed. Hopefully most people will realise that MP in its current state is a complete farce and don't buy the maps. And for the fools that do, they'll never get into a match with them anyway. How often did you get into a match with one of the Flashback maps? And they were free.

There are a few idiots on Major Nelson's blog trying to defend Epic and Microsoft on this. I don't know why they're defending MS, it's not their fault, but they're trying to justify the poor multiplayer for the 'great' singleplayer, or that they aren't having any problems whatsoever so it must be everyone elses fault, etc. Hopefully a boycott won't be needed. Hopefully most people will realise that MP in its current state is a complete farce and don't buy the maps. And for the fools that do, they'll never get into a match with them anyway. How often did you get into a match with one of the Flashback maps? And they were free.

What they should do to allow you on maps of your choice is let people create unranked custom games that show up through a browser.

Many console FPS games are starting to allow this now.

Maybe it does allow you to do that already though? Just making this assumption as your post comes across like there's no way to get on new maps except from luck.

What they should do to allow you on maps of your choice is let people create unranked custom games that show up throw a browser.

Many console FPS games are starting to allow this now.

Maybe it does allow you to do that already though? Just making this assumption as your post comes across like there's no way to get on new maps except from luck.

There is no browser, no unranked/ranked seperation. The whole MP is built upon th worse match making system so far!

They should've kept match making for ranked and kept browser for Unranked.

More choices in match making would be great as well because right now AB , you can pick the map by luck, its random!

There is no browser, no unranked/ranked seperation. The whole MP is built upon th worse match making system so far!

They should've kept match making for ranked and kept browser for Unranked.

More choices in match making would be great as well because right now AB , you can pick the map by luck, its random!

Bit surprising as I'm sure UT3 for consoles had a server browser!

Oh well, just something to think about for the next title. I mean if the matchmaking was working okay, most people wouldn't care but I still think it's nice to have a custom unranked list for those times you want to specifically play a map/game type and don't care about exp.

Obviously Epic are working on it, I'm sure it will be fixed soon (Y)

Hopefully in time for Xmas, as I'm sure there's quite a few copies of GoW2 sitting under trees right now :p

There's a playlist for just these maps, like Bungie does.

anyway, boycotting* not because OMG MP IS BROKERZ but because the price is a total rip off.

*at least until all my friends buy it

There's a playlist for just these maps, like Bungie does.

anyway, boycotting* not because OMG MP IS BROKERZ but because the price is a total rip off.

*at least until all my friends buy it

I read on the GOW2 forums that there isn't a playlist for the new maps. Not sure if thats true or not though.

$10 (800MS points) is completely crazy for 4 maps, if you want my honest opinion. Unless I just get a ton of MS points for some reason and there's no good XBLA games out, I simply cannot justify that price.

The maps honestly don't even look that great. I don't really care about extra gamer score points (I prefer it when games just stay at 1000 for some reason), so that doesn't matter to me.

Edit: Multiplayer still isn't working for you guys? It's faster than Halo 3 for me, netcode-wise, and roughly just as fast finding games now -- even when at my dorm with a crappy connection.

It's a miracle I'm even getting this game nevermind buying any DLC with MP in it's current state.

That said, can't wait to play it, got a real urge for some Gears since I sold Gears 1 so long ago. Can probably pick gears 1 up really cheaply now anyway if I wanted MP Gears.

Exactly the point. In all this time of ownership I have only played the flashback maps twice. I think the only reason I got to do that was because it was right after everybody got the game so the knowledgeable people who knew about the old packs got them. Now, I can bet even if they have a new copy they don't bother getting them.

Sorry said to say but so much for the map packs, not from me at least.

I think before Gears 2 was released I said I would buy every content that was released for Gears 2 and there is no way I or anyone in the world should seriously buy these maps. This is just another reason I've been playing Gears 1 recently. I don't know, I found it humorous that when I made all those complaints everyone jumped shipped when we found out about these maps coming out for the price.

So I read about some Horde Mode that you can play with friends. I was considering buying this game for an upcoming lan but there's some ambiguity as to how many players can actually play locally. I've read it supports 5 players which would only make sense online, but presumably we could have 4 locally right? What if we had a 2nd xbox on the network?

Here we go again to a look:

Haven't seen it used yet. Actually had a pretty good time for the most part this afternoon. With a buddy, we didn't wait more than 15 seconds to get into a game. A couple of games though, we had one person on our team quit out. Other than that though, pretty enjoyable day with no glitches.

• 2 weeks later...

From Mark Rein:

Happy New Year!

First of all I hope all of you had a safe and happy holiday season.

As I mentioned before the break we?ve been working on a major title update for Gears of War 2. This update will address bugs and exploits as well as add some new achievements related to downloadable content. We don?t have an exact date for it but all indicators are it will go live within January. If that changes we?ll let you know.

We?re fixing a whole bunch of online exploits. For example we?ve fixed the ability to wield an invisible shield, melee through some walls, gain infinite Lancer ammo and equip a shield and a two-handed weapon simultaneously plus many more.

We?re also making several small changes to improve the overall online gameplay experience. A few of the ones that might interest you are; increased penalties for quitting matches early, adding additional spawn protection against planted grenades and chainsaw attacks, and adding the ability to see the Submission flag carrier destination by using Tac/Com.

We know you folks love achievements so on the achievement side we?re adding achievement progress numbers to the War Journal, increasing the frequency of in-game Achievement progression notifications and adding some new Achievements for DLC.

This is just a very small list of some of the things that will be in the next title update but one more item which has been talked about a lot in our forums deserves a special call out...

About that shotgun...

We fixed the client side hit detection on the shotgun so that in a high-latency (i.e. ?laggy?) match, the shotgun will be more reliable. We?ve also fixed another bug whereby shotgun and boomshot rounds could strike the ground when firing from the hip.

So there?s a brief status report on the next title update. At some point I expect we?ll post a more detailed list but I assure you we?re working hard to get this out the door and once it?s done we?ll start working on the next update. We?ll try to do a better job keeping you informed of our progress on future updates and we?ll try to be a little more active in the forums once this update is released.