Why Neowin 5 is important for us

They do it to get more content on a page and if they didn't your newspaper would weight about 25 LBS. The main page here is not a newspaper. If you want to read more just click on the Read On link.

No, they don't. You'd get the same amount of text on a page in columns or spread out. It's the same space, after all. Columns are for readability. It's harder on the eyes to read straight across a wide page and come back to the next line.

My point is that being able to see several running windowed apps at once instead of maximising them is - in my opinion - the only way to maximise the screen usage.

kthnxbai.

Windows users > Mac users. kthxbai :p

Quite simply Windows users are used to maximizing windows. OS X follows a document centric philosophy which makes sense for word processors, at the expense of providing an ambiguous Zoom caption button.

I do have to agree that beyond a certain resolution, it's idiotic for one to expect their eyes to move a long horizontal distance and expect to quickly remember which line came next when doing a 'carriage return' with their eyes. My monitor's horizontal resolution is 1280 pixels so it's still an acceptable distance.

No, they don't. You'd get the same amount of text on a page in columns or spread out. It's the same space, after all. Columns are for readability. It's harder on the eyes to read straight across a wide page and come back to the next line.

Then I take it you do not read may books. In a newspaper a story will be one column wide and then continued on another page and the maybe even another. Imagine a newspaper with columns. I like the main page as is.

I don't like the new random text cuts on the front page...

We used to have a strict rule like the most important stuff having to be on the front page and the "Read more" should not be obligatory to get the point of the news items.

Somehow these new fixed cut marks after X words seem to risk that with some articles.

Anyone?

Glassed Silver:win

edit: / addition:

mmmh... where's my "last comment by ..."? :(

Edited by Glassed Silver

Then I take it you do not read may books. In a newspaper a story will be one column wide and then continued on another page and the maybe even another. Imagine a newspaper with columns. I like the main page as is.

Newspapers are in decline, print media is dying, why mimic something that is doing so badly?

The drudgereport gets 800M hits a month, people seek information, not cute and fancy layouts.

Where is the list view with categories in the three colours? There's that little "news filter" box/widget on the right but there is only 6 recent entries in that... how do you expand that to a single page?

I don't need a scatter gun of news text (that I may have no intention of reading in most cases) to dig through.

Just the titles please.

edit: I've just counted, there are 18 words (3 lines) for me to read on the page before I have to start scrolling. I do not like this, it's just not useful.

Any chance of a response? Please?

Is it me or is there more adverts than there used to be, I know you have to have a few but I don't remember having that many.

There are the same amount, only we used to have a large "leaderboard" ad in the footer. Our advertiser informed us that their customers were reluctant to advertise on Neowin because the more popular ads weren't in a favorable position on the page.

With the last theme (Shift) it was 3, and there's also 3 on this new theme.

There are the same amount, only we used to have a large "leaderboard" ad in the footer. Our advertiser informed us that their customers were reluctant to advertise on Neowin because the more popular ads weren't in a favorable position on the page.

With the last theme (Shift) it was 3, and there's also 3 on this new theme.

Oh, ok then.

Newspapers are in decline, print media is dying, why mimic something that is doing so badly?

The drudgereport gets 800M hits a month, people seek information, not cute and fancy layouts.

So, give them both :D

I think it is coming along nicely, and you guys have done a great job, and I know alot of work went into it, especially not doing it full time.

I can't wait on the forum skin to come, since I am one of the guys who JUST read the forums... I rarely ever even view the front page honestly, but the hard work doesn't go unnoticed and I think you guys should be commended on it.

Quote - (joeydoo @ Oct 17 2008, 17:58) *

Where is the list view with categories in the three colours? There's that little "news filter" box/widget on the right but there is only 6 recent entries in that... how do you expand that to a single page?

I don't need a scatter gun of news text (that I may have no intention of reading in most cases) to dig through.

Just the titles please.

edit: I've just counted, there are 18 words (3 lines) for me to read on the page before I have to start scrolling. I do not like this, it's just not useful.

Hello???

Hello???

Silence..... tumbleweedhs3.gif

At least give me a "no" answer if that's the case.

"No, here at Neowin we have no current plans to provide useful functionality like before"

That way I'll know to **** off elsewhere.

Edited by joeydoo

Silence..... tumbleweedhs3.gif

At least give me a "no" answer if that's the case.

"No, here at Neowin we have no current plans to provide useful functionality like before"

That way I'll know to **** off elsewhere.

That's kind of rude. These people work for free, to provide a free service... just relax.

Maybe give people some time to actually read before bumping, so the ones with the answers can reply.

In terms of your "category" views, it took me awhile to understand what you were talking about by the way... this feature is not supported in the new design A.F.A.I.K.

New layout, New options, and unused / unnecessary features have been removed or added. Maybe this was overlooked by the coders, or a choice by the administrators / coders to take this out.

I'm sure it is not hard to code this back in, but right now I don't see it, and don't think it will come back.

when will the new forum skin go live?

I hate to say "It's ready when it's ready" but that's all the coders have said so far... so you'll have to wait. I would hope this month.

I hate having to click on every article to read it. I need to wait while a whole new page loads which is slow. Why can't the article be hidden and the Read More would show the rest of the article without loading a while new web page. Something like SlickDeals does.

That's kind of rude. These people work for free, to provide a free service... just relax.

Maybe give people some time to actually read before bumping, so the ones with the answers can reply.

In terms of your "category" views, it took me awhile to understand what you were talking about by the way... this feature is not supported in the new design A.F.A.I.K.

New layout, New options, and unused / unnecessary features have been removed or added. Maybe this was overlooked by the coders, or a choice by the administrators / coders to take this out.

I'm sure it is not hard to code this back in, but right now I don't see it, and don't think it will come back.

That -> Oct 17 2008, 17:58

... is when I asked the question. Should I wait longer than 3+ days in the future? Is one bump a day not relaxed? There were 6 replies to other people by admins, site owners, developers in that time. I had asked in the news thread and got no response. That would have been difficult to see though, so I posted here.

On the view I used.... It was an option on the front page, fairly prominent. I would have thought a load of people used it as it had all the news listed and colour coded by category. It was one of the best ways to pick up stories and software update news which on more cluttered sites would be extremely difficult to keep track of. I've been playing with RSS feeds and trying to approximate that site functionality but it's just not possible... for me at least.

I'm not bitching about advertising or saying the design is ugly. As I said all those many days ago....it's very pretty, but it's just not as functional or "clean" without an option to clear away all the pieces of news text and just see the titles.

You know exactly what 95% of tech news is from just the title. Unless it's a really interesting piece which needs a few lines you don't need to see any more than a short sentence.

"Apple release new Macbooks"

"Microsoft sends Vista SP2 invites - beta release in 4 weeks" <- That is every single word that you need to read for that story. If you want to read more and comment.... then click it. Why repeat the same information and take up 4 lines of precious Neowin front page???

edit:

Perhaps I should explained myself a bit better here. I don't think my assy tone has helped me any so I apologise for that.

The reason I'm persisting on this is because:

Having a list of news, which doesn't miss anything, isn't filled with crap and is all neat PLUS! colour coded in 3 simple categories.... is really rare on the internet. The old Neowin with that category view went back more than a week, on a single page! Seriously, that's extremely rare.

If only all news were like that. I don't need pictures.. don't need the first few of what might be useless sentences from the beginning of story, I don't need to anything more than a simple, concise title. And there they all were, in a neat stack. :wheeps:

Edited by joeydoo

Don't like how dark you've gone in the header and it needs to be 75% width or something...total waste of space cramming things in.

Looks silly really on 1600x

The forum skin is on the way guys, don't push it :p

Our designer occasionally needs a break.

If you say so... :rolleyes:

I'm just kidding, take your time - late is better than never.