Blu-ray is dead

It's easy to compare quality when looking at stills but during the fast scenes, which most of my films are, a blur is still a blur!

Having said that, when I do get BluRay and a HDTV it'll be the scenic films which I'll replace - stuff like Crouching Tiger, Hero, Mongol, LotR Trilogy and a few others.

Even on a 32" it's still clearly noticeable! You don't notice it, then you really MUST have eye sight issues!!!

You don't have a good eyesight does NOT mean that these HD resolution aren't Day & Night VS DVD!

DVD resolution, now it's blurry and out of focus. Blu-ray (HD) so Sharp and Crisp (Again, even on a 32 inch)!!!

HAHAHAHAH

please...

I have 9/10 for each eye, and sometimes still struggle to make the difference.

besides, we are discussing adoption of the technology.. who do you think is the typical mass buyer, the 20yo with perfect eye sight or the 40+ ?????

Well I HAVE a 32", that's exactly what I HAVE! Not that big, I wish I had 100" :p

But, The minute that I stepped into HD world, would NEVER go back to SD DVD again for the good stuff!!!

QUALITY MATTERS!!!

Price matters too, but WHY is it so HARD for you people to Understand as long as you keep embracing DVDs, it will never die and Blu-ray will NEVER drop price???

The $10 Over SD DVD is VERY fair, for Blu-Ray's QUality.

So you want to see $16 Blu-rays? MUST Let DVD DIE first!!! You are not going to see $16 Blu-rays and $16 SD DVD at the SAME time, that just DO NOT make sense!!!

Edited by JediXAngel

i had HD-DVD, then got BR, prefer HD over BR but eh. the main reason BR isnt high % yet (imo) is because players are just Recent coming under 400 bucks, i they would have did it from the start, it would be higher

but i have a 60in full 1080p native and can notice a BIG difference between BR/HDDVD and Standard

Edited by Hell-In-A-Handbasket

The cost of players and the cost of movies is why it is failing. Who in their right mind would pay 40$ for a movie? No ammount of HD is worth 40$.

Absolutely no one, seeing as they don't cost $40.

Yet again however a topic on HD/SD, BR/Digital Downloads turns to crap due to immature fights.

Read my advice, it should make you see sense - https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...amp;p=590053172

Well I HAVE a 32", that's exactly what I HAVE! Not that big, I wish I had 100" :p

But, The minute that I stepped into HD world, would NEVER go back to SD DVD again for the good stuff!!!

QUALITY MATTERS!!!

Price matters too, but WHY is it so HARD for you people to Understand as long as you keep embracing DVDs, it will never die and Blu-ray will NEVER drop price???

The $10 Over SD DVD is VERY fair, for Blu-Ray's QUality.

So you want to see $16 Blu-rays? MUST Let DVD DIE first!!! You are not going to see $16 Blu-rays and $16 SD DVD at the SAME time, that just DO NOT make sense!!!

i am afraid to ask, but I wonder who paid for your TV, your BR media or your rentals.

Absolutely no one, seeing as they don't cost $40.

Ohh, that depends on where you live!

If you go shopping for Blu-rays around local shops here, they are about 300 Danish Kroner which is 51$

yes you can find some movies cheaper online but a TON of people like to get their movies around town. This goes for quite a few countries around Europe, specially Scandinavian countries.

Ohh, that depends on where you live!

If you go shopping for Blu-rays around local shops here, they are about 300 Danish Kroner which is 51$

yes you can find some movies cheaper online but a TON of people like to get their movies around town. This goes for quite a few countries around Europe, specially Scandinavian countries.

shakey lives in America, I was replying to his comment seeing as the country he lives in does not charge $40 a movie.

I don't know how much Blu Ray costs around the rest of the world, seeing as I live in the UK, and only know about America due to interests in importing goods.

i am afraid to ask, but I wonder who paid for your TV, your BR media or your rentals.

I am a HARD working man, working 40+ a week!!! I am NOT lazy, I goto work and WORK HARD and come home with enough $$$ to pay rent, Bills, and my favorite movies/games!!!

Yes, it's Definitely NOT cheap, but I am smart shopper for sure!! I KNOW where to get it cheap or just give in to $25+ since I am NOT going to keep embracing Old format (DVD) that look so horrible anymore. To embrace it is to deny Blu-ray dropping price anytime soon (WHICH is what you guys are doing, Embracing a Dying format so hard it makes NO sense!!)

Edited by JediXAngel

I am a HARD working man, working 40+ a week!!!

Yes, it's Definitely NOT cheap, but I am smart shopper for sure! I am NOT going to keep embracing Old format (DVD) that look so bad anymore. To embrace it is to deny Blu-ray dropping price anytime soon!

good for you mate!

I m gonna go have a relaxing night in front of the oh-so-darn-bad-looking DVD.

Give me a shout when you have bought enough BR to make its price go down please.. :)

good for you mate!

Give me a shout when you have bought enough BR to make its price go down please.. :)

Haha,

well said (Y)

I am NOT going to keep embracing Old format (DVD) that look so bad anymore. To embrace it is to deny Blu-ray dropping price anytime soon!

Don't start that nonsense again.

The amount of irrational people in this topic make me sad, from both sides.

I cannot fathom how consumers (you guys) can't appreciate choice makes other consumers happy, even if you don't want the choice.

It's very selfish, ignorant and quite frankly arrogant of you.

God help you if any of you ever get a job launching a product into the market. You'll probably just say "nah don't launch it, I don't like it, doesn't matter that other consumers will buy it and bring in money to this company im working for".

good for you mate!

Look, it's NOT that hard to understand ...

Blu-ray is $10 more than SD DVD and will NOT be close to the Same price.

So, as long as there will be $15+ SD DVDs people keep embracing, the Blu-ray will be $25+ too!

Don't start that nonsense again.

The amount of irrational people in this topic make me sad, from both sides.

I cannot fathom how consumers (you guys) can't appreciate choice makes other consumers happy, even if you don't want the choice.

It's very selfish, ignorant and quite frankly arrogant of you.

God help you if any of you ever get a job launching a product into the market. You'll probably just say "nah don't launch it, I don't like it, doesn't matter that other consumers will buy it and bring in money to this company im working for".

Look, MOST of people I know who has Enter the HD world AGREES with me on this

For their favorite movies that need to be in HD they will NOT get it in SD anymore... it's gotta be Blu-Ray ALL the way!

There are a lot of exceptions (Especially in the genre of Drama, Comedy) that does NOT really need to see in HD, it's still OK to get DVD if it's very cheap!

Blu-ray DO indeed look A LOT better than SD DVD for many many movies, not all of them, again there are different Tiers in PQ quality.

None of us are Rich, but we see that it is a Necessarity to move on to High Def... not that it's more important than food and rent, but if you gonna get certain favorite movies, DVD is just NOT an Option anymore!

This is NOT just what I am saying myself, it's what everyone I know who also has Entered the HD world agrees with me IS saying!!!

Look, MOST of people I know who has Enter the HD world AGREES with me on this

For their favorite movies that need to be in HD they will NOT get it in SD anymore... it's gotta be Blu-Ray ALL the way!

There are a lot of exceptions (Especially in the genre of Drama, Comedy) that does NOT really need to see in HD, it's still OK to get DVD if it's very cheap!

Blu-ray DO indeed look A LOT better than SD DVD for many many movies, not all of them, again there are different Tiers in PQ quality.

None of us are Rich, but we see that it is a Necessarity to move on to High Def... not that it's more important than food and rent, but if you gonna get certain favorite movies, DVD is just NOT an Option anymore!

THE MARKET CAN SUPPORT STANDARD DEFINITION AND HIGH DEFINITION.

We are not talking about quality FFS, we are talking about consumer choice and two different markets co-existing.

Get over yourself and realize that.

It's a basic understanding of markets, products and giving consumers a choice.

Maybe one day DVD will die, but I'm sorry that's not happening for the foreseeable future, and I see no reason for it to.

Well, like I repeatly said, as long as you see $15+ DVDs, No way you will see that same movie on Blu-ray close to that Price! You will be Lucky if you even see $5 difference!

$10 Over SD DVD is VERY VERY justified I think for the quality differences, period.

Well, like I repeatly said, as long as you see $15+ DVDs, No way you will see that same movie on Blu-ray close to that Price!

$10 Over SD DVD is VERY VERY justified for the quality differences.

DVDs won't always be $15...

Basic economics related to product shelf life.

I think it's reasonable for $6-$10 DVDs and $12-$20 HD but anything over is ridiculous. DVDs will be around no matter what, and BR will continue to be premium considering the technology and dedication involved.

DVDs won't always be $15...

Basic economics related to product shelf life.

Why are you telling me stuff I KNOW?

I KNOW that, that's why there ARE actually some $10-$15 Blu-rays ALL the time! The same movie on SD is not expensive like $15 either. So it's ALL related!

BUT are customer complaining about those or those $25+ ones?

My MAIN point is, if you want to see a movie (For example: Iron Man) on Blu-ray for $17.99, then the SD version should drop Under $10 FIRST!

DVD is good enough for me. You're sitting 10 feet away from a colourful square/rectangle. Get over it.

On a serious note: Why do Sony/Panasonic insist of 'demonstrating' HD on SD channels? Yes, that looks great. But it's still SD. Essentially, unless the program makers change, and add all the particles and 'slow motion close ups' that there TV makers insist on advertising HD with, you're getting the same crap, but 6x more of it.