Windows 7 Build 6801 live QnA

If the Control Panel is not in a secure desktop (i.e. UAC), it's impossible to distinguish between "an user click" and "a click executed by a malicious code".

I'm pretty sure they made it know whether or not it's the user or not. I doubt they would just go "Let's make our users less secure." "Great idea!"

And, for non-admin users, which you should be using at all time, it still asks an admin password for every action.

If the Control Panel is not in a secure desktop (i.e. UAC), it's impossible to distinguish between "an user click" and "a click executed by a malicious code".

Actually, that's not quite true. While the secure desktop does provide an extra layer of protection, it is not intended to help differentiate user clicks from programmatic ones. Regardless of whether a consent prompt is on the secure desktop or not, it should not be able to be manipulated by a non-elevated process.

I thought that was the whole idea around secure desktop Brandon.. And also if theres a UAC prompt without secure desktop you know that its not a real UAC prompt..

Apparently, someone has figured out how to enable the superbar..

http://www.withinwindows.com/

*snipimage*

Not complete:

• No aero peek
  • Has the old jump list arrow instead of rightclicking
  • Old startbutton
  • No jump lists in start menu
  • No window titles in the thumbnails

And personally I think thumbnails take too long to pop up to have a real use as window switcher.

Not complete:

• No aero peek
  • Has the old jump list arrow instead of rightclicking
  • Old startbutton
  • No jump lists in start menu
  • No window titles in the thumbnails

And personally I think thumbnails take too long to pop up to have a real use as window switcher.

It is an older build than what they showed off at PDC, so what do you expect? Guessing from the screenshots of build 6801 popping up now this is still more than good enough to get an idea of what the 'superbar' is like.

It is an older build than what they showed off at PDC, so what do you expect? Guessing from the screenshots of build 6801 popping up now this is still more than good enough to get an idea of what the 'superbar' is like.

I wasn't saying I expected something more complete, just letting you guys know that this isn't feature complete and the features that are missing kinda defeat it's purpose as window switcher.

Just noticed Window titles do show up if you have grouping enabled. Woops. I just don't like the delay on the thumbnails I guess.

Thanks everyone! This is exciting for me ya see! :D I just wish I had a copy of Windows 7 :D ahhh well!

EDIT: @PandaX: Those videos were fantastic! Thank you :) Worth staying up for!

Edited by cJr.

Anyone got any info on what happened to "Accelerators for Windows"? I can't seems to find it, was it in this build?

Nope, no accelerators built into this build. Maybe they are holding it out until the beta.

Is it just me, or is it quite ironic how many on the forum are eager for the new wide taskbar compared to the thin taskbar craze that swept XP themes in the not so distant past?

Is it just me, or is it quite ironic how many on the forum are eager for the new wide taskbar compared to the thin taskbar craze that swept XP themes in the not so distant past?

I think this has something to do with the fact that default monitor resolutions have gone up significantly since XP days. Also, I can see MS doing this with the taskbar to make things more interesting for future touch-screen displays.

If its more functional, and an evolution over the older generation taskbar, then I have no problem with that.

Could you please tell me that do I install the Vista drivers into W7 6801 or what? And it would mean that I just insert the Intel drivers DVD (that came with the motherboard) and run the setup and it will not give me errors?