Windows 7 Build 6801 live QnA

Alright. Let me try some 3DMark06 testing on Vista and 7 on my desktop.

Just something interesting that caught my eye last night: I noticed my desktop now gets scores higher than 5.9. For instance, Aero performance is all the way up at 7.9 for my 8800 GT, and 6.0 for gaming performance. My processor's at 6.5.

are you kidding me :p ?

you have Quadcore by any chance .

pic or it didnt happen :laugh:

`ive also noticed that even in WINSTAT logs... my PARTIAL ram performance was .7.6(6GB 1127Mhz) and CPU score was 7.9 (4.3Ghz) etc...

i think it is really cool thing..

Well, good news and bad news.

Good news: Gaming performance is at or above Vista SP1!

Vista SP1 scores 13599: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=8748843

Windows 7 scores 13698: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=8749323

(both scores are still lower than what you can get in XP though :p)

Both were done using the Xtreme-G FW 180.42 set from www.tweakforce.com

As for Windows Experience Index, Vista SP1 scores all 5.9 except for hard drive at 5.4.

For Windows 7, it's a bit interesting. CPU scores 6.6, RAM 5.5, Aero Graphics 7.9, Gaming Graphics 6.0, and disk 5.4.

Now the bad news. Why is the RAM score lower? Simply put, it's a stupid artificial cap done by WinSAT. The score's capped at 5.5 if you have less than 3.0 GB of RAM, regardless how fast your RAM is. I hope they remove this cap, it makes no sense and may mislead people into buying more RAM unnecessarily. (N)

Attached below are all the logs I captured from WinSAT and 3DMark2006. WinSAT under Windows 7 writes additional logs for each test. Open up the RAM log and you'll see a statement made about that artificial score cap.

Final note: I noticed Nvidia posted a WDDM 1.1 driver in Windows Update. Does anyone know if it's okay to install the driver over an existing Forceware set?

Windows_7_comparison.zip

You have been able to tweak the User directories (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, etc) since Vista, just right click the folder and under "Location", change it to the one you want.

With Win 7, Libraries does a even better job by consolidating folders all across (Notice my folders are on D:\ which is my other partition)

722d.png

That's good to know for those folders, but how about /program files? I keep files and programs off of C: so when or if I have to redo an install it's just the OS and not other things etc. I also run the pagefile on my 2nd HDD as well.

One correction:

More bits about the install process:

- The new boot screen's at your monitor's native resolution. THANK GOD.

It's actually stuck at 1024x768. Oops :p

Final note: I noticed Nvidia posted a WDDM 1.1 driver in Windows Update. Does anyone know if it's okay to install the driver over an existing Forceware set?

good to know

just update the drivers anyway i doubt it will problematic

you would be fine

hey i can`t see it on WU mate ;) there were only mouse HID drivers and Realtek driver ;)

where to DL WDDM 1.1 manually??

hey i can`t see it on WU mate ;) there were only mouse HID drivers and Realtek driver ;)

where to DL WDDM 1.1 manually??

Now it's gone. :huh:

Maybe it'll reappear when I uninstall this Forceware set.

@jamesclarke555:What was the glitch?

ISO Burner: Indeed. (Y) Now if they can implement mounting ISO images just as they can with VHDs, that would rock.

@skynetXrules: But you have to install a third party app in Vista. Now you don't have to. :)

Are you sure? It can burn data to dvd's, but I don't think it can burn ISO's.
@skynetXrules: But you have to install a third party app in Vista. Now you don't have to.

ops :blush:

i miss read it

thought he mean burning dvds

nvm

edit :

i am really excited i went 7 already :)

@jamesclarke555:What was the glitch?

Here's the same screen in Vista:

post-154968-1225572233.jpg

Note the tab colour and background are different.

Now if they can implement mounting ISO images just as they can with VHDs, that would rock.

Native ISO mounting would be cool :yes:

Edited by jamesclarke555

The Task Manager colour glitch has been fixed:

post-154968-1225571485.png

Don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, Windows 7 has native ISO disc burning!

post-154968-1225571623.png

That might come in handy for slip streaming! ;)

Note the tab colour and background are different.

Oh I see. Another consistency win! (Y)

@jamesclarke555: That's cool for the consistency, thank you for informing us. What are the other tabs like? Do they all have whitre backgrounds on the tab page? As in Vista, the rest are grey too, with white tables.

@jamesclarke555: That's cool for the consistency, thank you for informing us. What are the other tabs like? Do they all have whitre backgrounds on the tab page? As in Vista, the rest are grey too, with white tables.

No problem. All the other tabs are fixed too.

Is there any way I can access the files from my vista partition from windows 7? Whenever I go into my computer and try to open up the users folder from my vista partition it says I need permission to continue. I click accept and it loads for a bit but I can't get inside that folder. Do I need to take ownership of it? I don't want to screw up the permissions for vista at all.

WHERE CAN I FIND VISTA STYLE BUILDER in 6801??????????????

Vista Style Builder isn't a part of Windows.

Please, we, on Neowin have a mature style of typing. All-caps is totally not good for your reputation, and putting a thousand question marks won't work.

Note to Windows 7 testers, you can use the SAME product key that was provided to you for activation if you beta tested Vista Betas/RC from Microsoft. :)

Orly?

Gonna try that one, would be nice if I could run a second install without using my PDC key everywhere.

Guys, do not use EasyBCD to modify your windows 7 bootloader, the bootloader still working fine after modification but it will screw up your windows 7 later, any new hardware will not be install no matter what. Just my experience.