Cool things discovered in Windows 7 (6801)

what amazes me is the difference in performance that 6801 offers vs vista using the same hardware.i have a netbook that runs vista just fine but i loaded 6801 and am getting the performance that i used to see when i had xp loaded...and to think...this is pre-beta..that one could questionably say has unoptimized code.

He asked for a screenshot of it so I took one, I've had powershell installed on vista for a long time.

I didn't know PowerShell was in Vista, so that screenshot was really helpful. Thank you :)

Ultimate extras is being dropped (so I've heard), not sure what they're going to do with things they released for vista though.

Maybe it's a sign that Windows 7 will have a much simpler SKU? I'd be nice if they just had a) one edition or b) one home edition and one business edition.

Edited by Quillz

Yes, there is a video demonstration of that located here.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20081103/...ith-aero-shake/

Not even going to pretend, that **** is hype. I can use this, but it's also the keyboard version of "Windows + D" - well, kind of, but not really. Still..very nice. I like those effects also, I just hope it's the video that makes them look slow.

Maybe it's a sign that Windows 7 will have a much simpler SDK? I'd be nice if they just had a) one edition or b) one home edition and one business edition.

Don't you mean SKU?

Windows Experience Score scale is apparently gonna be larger

post-47386-1225763089_thumb.jpg

That actually makes sense though...we were all like "wtf" with the 5.9 highest score system they use now. Atleast I was.

That progress bar thing is bad ass also..man, these guys seem to be one freakin'[/i] point! And this is going to get faster by RTM? Damn!

Not even going to pretend, that **** is hype. I can use this, but it's also the keyboard version of "Windows + D" - well, kind of, but not really. Still..very nice. I like those effects also, I just hope it's the video that makes them look slow.

Not quite, since Windows+D shows the desktop. This minimizes all other windows.

In due time (shortly after releasing Win 7) MS will likely have you convinced Vista never existed.

Actually, by the time Windows 7 is released, I'm sure all the Vista haters will be talking about "how great Vista was" and "why did they change x and x in Windows 7 when it worked so well in Windows Vista?" You know, the same people who are now telling the world how wonderful XP was, and 98...

Actually, by the time Windows 7 is released, I'm sure all the Vista haters will be talking about "how great Vista was" and "why did they change x and x in Windows 7 when it worked so well in Windows Vista?" You know, the same people who are now telling the world how wonderful XP was, and 98...

Although I am interested to see what Windows 7 is/does, I won't be one of those people you talk about. I think Microsoft have learnt a lot from Vista and are trying to do something better.

Those people will always exist and never cease to irritate me...

Also not quite, since Win+M minimizes all windows. This minimizes only all other windows.

well I just tried the Win+D and it does the same thing as Win+M as far as I can tell, all windows minimized and desktop is show, must be an ID10T error on my end :)

they finally fixed the defragger, it is MUCH MUCH faster then the vista one:

post-159052-1225771380_thumb.png

and superbar can be enabled which I love so far:

post-159052-1225771399_thumb.png

and the library feature is GREAT because I have music and documents on other drives and partitions:

post-159052-1225771434_thumb.png

In due time (shortly after releasing Win 7) MS will likely have you convinced Vista never existed.

yea windows 7 will be kinda like that flashy pen thingy that the MIB boys used

Although I am interested to see what Windows 7 is/does, I won't be one of those people you talk about. I think Microsoft have learnt a lot from Vista and are trying to do something better.

True, but my point is that there are always "those people" that hate change, even for the better. "WAAH XP IS SO INSECURE," they'll complain. "WAAH WHY DID YOU CHANGE WINDOWS VISTA TO BE MORE SECURE NOW MY SOFTWARE DOESN'T WORK WAAH." And they'll make the same complaints in Windows 7. "I HATE UAC IN VISTA IT'S SO ANNOYING." Then the complaints in Windows 7 will be "WAAH UAC IS LESS ANNOYING BUT NOW IT'S LESS SECURE VISTA WAS SO MUCH BETTER WAAH."

UAC in windows 7 is MUCH MUCH MUCH improved, you hardly get any more prompts than in xp by default, if anyone complains about that they are just trying to bash ms.

they removed all the "double prompt" situations for example when explorer prompts you then right after a uac prompt, that is only one prompt now, and most things like changing settings doesn't prompt at all.

well I just tried the Win+D and it does the same thing as Win+M as far as I can tell, all windows minimized and desktop is show, must be an ID10T error on my end :)

windows + M minimize all windows but can not bring them back up.

Windows + D will minimize and restore the windows.

I prefer Win + D

they finally fixed the defragger, it is MUCH MUCH faster then the vista one:

post-159052-1225771380_thumb.png

A percentage meter! About time.

UAC in windows 7 is MUCH MUCH MUCH improved, you hardly get any more prompts than in xp by default, if anyone complains about that they are just trying to bash ms.

they removed all the "double prompt" situations for example when explorer prompts you then right after a uac prompt, that is only one prompt now, and most things like changing settings doesn't prompt at all.

You think we can get a shot of right-click properties from the Computer screen for the drives. Someone asked if they got rid of the purple and blue for Used and Free space...

..seems the changes are all system wide, including fonts. You think this is faster than Vista? If so, by how much. Anyone finding any "old-school" icons? Let's keep the bashing to a minimum, please. :D

..Fonts have finally been fixed. Excellent. :shifty: