Cool things discovered in Windows 7 (6801)

Another cool thing: Preview music in WMP12. I am not sure if this is in Vista. When you hover over a title in WMP12, a little popup gives you the chance to preview that title with an easy way of skipping 15 sec. When you move the mouse away, it stops playing the preview and continues your playlist.

Forgot to post about that. That's definitely a new one in WMP12 (Y)

if you remove all partitions in windows setup, when you create a new one that isn't the full size of the drive, you get "windows may create additional partitions to make sure all features work correctly" or something similar... and low and behold it adds a primary system partition before the partition you made, exactly 200mb and this will be hidden in windows, with approx 40mb used.

very strange, anyone know what it might be for?

I think I've already said this, but it serves several purposes. One of which is to let you enable BitLocker on your system drive after install.

Take a look at the unchecked option in this window. Doesn't seem to do anything at the moment.

post-99705-1226177663_thumb.png

I would guess that that's to keep from having a blank program thumbnail like you get sometimes under Vista when a program has been minimized and the DWM gets restarted, or when a program starts minimized.

You're probably right. I fired up some 3D apps that used to kill the DWM. I noticed that... oddly enough, the screen didn't flicker. Looks like Windows 7 can finally handle 3D games without having to disable the DWM! Although if the game starts in a different resolution than your desktop's resolution, the DWM does go down along with window thumbnails.

Can anyone confirm? (test with that option on please)

edit: That option doesn't have an effect at the moment. Either way, the DWM doesn't go down. Is this something Nvidia implemented in their driver set, or Microsoft figured out a solution?

Edited by rm20010

I hope with WMP toolbar will be making a comeback.

It's still there, slightly different.

post-151800-1226196847.png

Only shows title and artist when your WMP is in now playing mode.

If they fix that to always show the Song and Artist and show them a little bigger it's an awesome replacement.

Why?

I just found it really useful, especially for watching videos whilst working with a maximized application. It also just moved it out of the way. If the thumbnail that we have at the moment showed a seek bar and you could pin it up (stop it from disappearing when I move my mouse away) then I wouldn't really miss it.

It's still there, slightly different.

post-151800-1226196847.png

Only shows title and artist when your WMP is in now playing mode.

If they fix that to always show the Song and Artist and show them a little bigger it's an awesome replacement.

Yeah, at the moment it isn't really too useful. If it had a seek bar and could be pinned it would be really good.

I just found it really useful, especially for watching videos whilst working with a maximized application. It also just moved it out of the way. If the thumbnail that we have at the moment showed a seek bar and you could pin it up (stop it from disappearing when I move my mouse away) then I wouldn't really miss it.

Yeah, at the moment it isn't really too useful. If it had a seek bar and could be pinned it would be really good.

Their objective is not to stuff the taskbar with toolbars...

I agree! The seek bar is a must.

something kinda cool but weird on my laptop is. When I go away from it long enough, were the screensaver kicks in, or where it shuts the monitor off, when I come back to using it. The screen fades in, instead of just shaking the mouse/clicking the keyboard and it instantly shows back up.

Anyone else having this? Do you like it or not?

I get it my my Vostro with a Nvidia M8600GT GPU; I don't get it from one with a 8600GT Ultra.

I guess it's a feature of the GPU MS are exploiting - it's another Mac-feature off of the list and very cool for that:

post-39039-1226328594.jpg

Here's something I like. You can have the Solution Center ( formerly Security Center ) monitor things individually instead of simply turning the messages all on or off like in Vista.( really dumb idea )

You can do that in Vista, even XP, set them to "I'll monitor myself"

Windows 2k was by far the best upgrade from a previous version (at least of those listed) and set the groundwork for everything XP was to be (which, while good, was not that big a leap from 2k).

Exactly, that's why I've always liked 2000 more than XP, but I love Vista. If you're going to change make it at least a little big. 7 looks like 98 SE was to 95 (nice but not big)

You can do that in Vista, even XP, set them to "I'll monitor myself"

You can do it in XP, but not Vista.... It only gives you the option of how the tray icon behaves for ALL items ( Not the individual ones)

Perhaps it's hidden where I couldn't find it in Vista?

post-152242-1226355804_thumb.jpg

It was shown already, or maybe it was in another thread? Anyways, it's not much, it'd be nice if they give us more options for it since it's very basic.

Also mounting of ISO and .BIN files would be nice. You've added supprot for VHDs etc, so come on.

Why?

why not? it was nice to be able to change song quickly without opening WMP

though I have to admit with all the keyboards having shortcuts for WMP it's not as useful as it used to be