Cool things discovered in Windows 7 (6801)

UAC in windows 7 ...

most things like changing settings doesn't prompt at all.

because Microsoft has decreased the UAC's security level with a new slider :D

Edited by franzon

You think we can get a shot of right-click properties from the Computer screen for the drives. Someone asked if they got rid of the purple and blue for Used and Free space...

..seems the changes are all system wide, including fonts. You think this is faster than Vista? If so, by how much. Anyone finding any "old-school" icons? Let's keep the bashing to a minimum, please. :D

..Fonts have finally been fixed. Excellent. :shifty:

its pretty much the same speed as vista for me, and vista actually boots a couple seconds faster. Explorer does feel a bit more responsive in 7 though.

because Microsoft has decreased the UAC's security level with a new slider :D

I don't think that's fully the case really. While in 7 you can lower UAC and basically turn it off, the default is more like how UAC acts in other OSs when you think about it. Many minor system changes that under Vista would bring up UAC don't in 7 or in other OSs. While more important ones will still bring it up from the looks of it.

The system is better about being able to tell what is a user action/change and what is some shady background maleware app trying to change things.

so only problem I am having is with my soundcard on my HP Dv6000 laptop.. It isn't workign for some reason with 7. Worked GREAT with Vista. Wonder what gives.

anyone have hidden 200mb partition on clean install? i have 6801 in virtualbox with 1gb of ram and 9.5 vhd (installer says that no less than 10gb is needed)... maybe beacause of that? im curious...

so only problem I am having is with my soundcard on my HP Dv6000 laptop.. It isn't workign for some reason with 7. Worked GREAT with Vista. Wonder what gives.

My Canon printer and scanner don't work out of the box. The scanner driver can be installed off Canon's site (solution center also gives a link to it), but the printer driver was first made available on Vista beta 1's disc. But now it's not there. :huh:

As for the scanner, it doesn't have a 64-bit driver, period. Nothing for XP or Vista 64. Meh :/

Windows 7 is alright, although I don't have access to the build to play with. However, I'm not going to be so quick to buy Win7 like I was with Vista. There is one thing that could bring Win7 crashing down, drivers. Will third-party companies be bothered to get decent drivers out for 7 in a timely manner this time? or is it going to be the Vista mess all over again...as that is what really hurt Vista most. What didn't help was as more people ditched Vista for XP, third-party companies had little incentive to fix/create drivers for Vista. I'm hoping there won't be a repeat of that again (there shouldn't be, as 7 is quite similar Vista but who knows these days...).

Windows 7 is alright, although I don't have access to the build to play with. However, I'm not going to be so quick to buy Win7 like I was with Vista. There is one thing that could bring Win7 crashing down, drivers. Will third-party companies be bothered to get decent drivers out for 7 in a timely manner this time? or is it going to be the Vista mess all over again...

Same drivers will work

Same drivers should work, but i've noticed this isn't the case at this moment. Also, many of the older default drivers, like legacy printers, have been removed.

I don't think that's fully the case really. While in 7 you can lower UAC and basically turn it off, the default is more like how UAC acts in other OSs when you think about it. Many minor system changes that under Vista would bring up UAC don't in 7 or in other OSs. While more important ones will still bring it up from the looks of it.

The system is better about being able to tell what is a user action/change and what is some shady background maleware app trying to change things.

Another addition from the way I understand it, the system is now designed to detect whether the elevation request was from a physical user or from a process. So for example if an application tries to modify a file on the desktop, it will request your permission. If you try to modify that same file, it won't request your permission.

Windows 7 is alright, although I don't have access to the build to play with. However, I'm not going to be so quick to buy Win7 like I was with Vista. There is one thing that could bring Win7 crashing down, drivers. Will third-party companies be bothered to get decent drivers out for 7 in a timely manner this time? or is it going to be the Vista mess all over again...as that is what really hurt Vista most. What didn't help was as more people ditched Vista for XP, third-party companies had little incentive to fix/create drivers for Vista. I'm hoping there won't be a repeat of that again (there shouldn't be, as 7 is quite similar Vista but who knows these days...).

I believe that as of early next yar, for a program/driver to be Vista certified, it must also be Windows 7 certified. Hopefully this will help with the compatibility issues

Quote "Beginning with the release of the first beta of the next operating system, all Windows Vista client and Windows Server 2008 submissions must include a complete [set of] test logs for the new beta OS"

I'm not sure if this was just some freak accident but I haven't been asked to restart windows after installation of programs that normally require it... I just installed NOD 32 v3 and it didn't prompt for a restart after... If this is normal, then that's a new feature I think most people are going to really like :)

I love playing around in the PDC-build. There are some great new features that many will appreciate. After testing it for a couple of days I really have no complains at all, which feels wierd seeing this isn't even beta. Windows 7 might be a really decent OS already at beta if this continues.

- It's lightning fast, much faster than Vista

- UAC is very usable now

- Libraries and home groups are great

- Already seems stable enough for basic usage.

Good job MS!

anyone have hidden 200mb partition on clean install? i have 6801 in virtualbox with 1gb of ram and 9.5 vhd (installer says that no less than 10gb is needed)... maybe beacause of that? im curious...

I got it here, I had a couple of partitions on the drive I used and I deleted them during the install and made a new partition..

I installed it on my test rig, X86 on a P4 Northwood with 2g of DDR2 and onboard graphics (intel 8945G ). It nailed every driver and it runs really well..

I'm very impressed at this point... It even remembers my folder settings!

Very much enjoying the PDC build here. The changes to Aero really do take it from "distracting" to "slick", and the colourful superbar is just a lot of fun to play with. :D

That said, I have found a rather rough bug: authenticating with an OS X (10.4, PPC) computer required me to enter ".\" before the username before the SMB network sharing would work. Neither the username alone or computername\username would work. My machine was joined to a domain (unavailable) at the time, so it may not affect standalone computers... I'll run it through the feedback tool later, but I figured somebody else may benefit from the knowledge as well. :)

Also, it seems lots of software has trouble with saving to the Library folders, but that's pretty obviously a feature under development. WinRAR completely spazzes out if you have context menu icons enabled and right click something in a library folder.

Is it just me, or is the text on this OS a lot clearer? ( I have mine set on the middle setting)

Oddly enough, the Cambria font does not seem very clear at all on Windows 7. Perhaps this is just a bug in build 6801? I hope so, as I really like the Cambria font.

Oddly enough, the Cambria font does not seem very clear at all on Windows 7. Perhaps this is just a bug in build 6801? I hope so, as I really like the Cambria font.

I also found this to be a problem. Even zoomed in at 400% the font is completely fubar'ed, regardless of ClearType settings.

I also found this to be a problem. Even zoomed in at 400% the font is completely fubar'ed, regardless of ClearType settings.

I can now confirm it's just some odd rendering glitch in Windows 7 as the font prints out perfect. It just displays oddly on the screen. I'm sure this is something that will be fixed by the next major release.

i have come to learn that ie8 in this build can be a real b%#*h !!!!

But it is super fast! before you could not view youtube video comments page if the video had more than 500 comments, but with IE8 the result is almost comparable with Google Chrome!