New ban wave?

Well he did talk about it here on Neowin, didn't find the thread but it should be out there, I might just suck at searching :)

it's not a secret, and as I said I think he's arily anti piracy now, and he's done his time for it.

I know that I vaguely remember the topic, but it's the way Kushan worded his reply

Also one final note: For those of you out there badmouthing all the people who hack the 360 and the like, you should know that one of the Admins of this very forum was once the leader of one of the biggest and longest-running warez groups out there. Think about that.

Sort of if to say "Admins of Neowin do it as well".

Maybe I'm interpreting him wrong, but that's the vibe I got, hence my response of if you don't know about anything, no point in speculating.

Piracy is piracy, it's moderated on Neowin when taken to unfavourable levels (it can be discussed, but you can't run around proclaiming everything you download, etc). Doesn't matter if Neobond is sitting on a pirate ship of cds and dvds, rules are rules for the board :p

I know that I vaguely remember the topic, but it's the way Kushan worded his reply

Sort of if to say "Admins of Neowin do it as well".

Maybe I'm interpreting him wrong, but that's the vibe I got, hence my response of if you don't know about anything, no point in speculating.

Piracy is piracy, it's moderated on Neowin when taken to unfavourable levels (it can be discussed, but you can't run around proclaiming everything you download, etc). Doesn't matter if Neobond is sitting on a pirate ship of cds and dvds, rules are rules for the board :p

well yeah, I agree that Kushans reply wasn't very well thought out or worded. Hence my first reply :)

its like waiting for a call from the doctors with test results or somtething lol..

So technically when we can check, its either your banned or your not banned? would MS banned people later on after the ban wave? So They have either flagged me or not? A simple yes or no answer? if you guys understand what im saying

Woah, I think a lot of people took what I said a little too seriously there, although I definitely could have worded it better.

When I mentioned that he was once the leader of Razor1911, I wasn't saying "He did it, so it's ok!", I was saying "Be careful what you say about them, because more people than you realise are or were involved in such things".

If you are on NXE I think you might be, I was just told the Z: code for current NXE bans are 0000-0000. ( Could be mistaken though )

EDIT: Just checked and 0000-0000 should just be some sorta' connection problem, you should be fine :)

Edited by Sethos

W:0000-000B

X:0000-F001

Y: 30A8-4840

Z:0000-0000

Was I banned?

No, I had the same issue earlier and all day yesterday, i restarted my router earlier and it worked fine, don't know what happened.

I'm having issues connecting myself. The "Z" code is the "offences" code, so if that's all 0's then it's a Live (or connection) issue, not a piracy issue. I think the NXE "bans" are different because it's not so much a ban, it's more of a "not authorised" code, hence why it falls under the "Y" code.

Are there people that have hacked their firmware but have not been banned on Live? If so, does anyone know what the discrepancy is?

Yes, because Microsoft cannot detected the modified firmware itself, they can only detect a "Bad" backup if it's played while connected to live. If they never play backups on live, they'll never get banned from live. Likewise, it's entirely possible to make "good" backups that Microsoft cannot (currently) detect, so there's still plenty of pirates out there who haven't been banned because they were careful (or lucky) enough.

just out of curiosity, when you try to connect to XBL with the NXE (hoping to see if im banned or not lol) it asks you to download an update, click yes then it quickly stops? whats the go?

just out of curiosity, when you try to connect to XBL with the NXE (hoping to see if im banned or not lol) it asks you to download an update, click yes then it quickly stops? whats the go?

Update? I plugged in my NXE yesterday to check my Ban status and was never prompted for anything :(

Because there is two parts to the NXE. The first part you have which is basically the new dashboard. The second part is the software for the avatars. When you sign in it's prompting you to download the second part, but your console ID doesn't match any of the accepted ones in the beta, so it cancels.

So what makes a "bad backup" bad (relative to "good" ones)? Technically speaking, of course, I know the obvious difference of it being detectable. :p

Quite a lot. An Xbox 360 ISO contains several important files that must be backed up correctly. The trick is that the game itself doesn't check this data, it's Xbox Live that does, so the game will boot perfectly fine if this data is incorrect, but if it doesn't match when Microsoft checks it (each game is different), then you get slapped with a ban at a later date.

There are also a few other things they can check for, such as where the layer break on the DVD is (360 disks are always in the same place) or even if the Booktype of the disk is DVD-ROM or not.

There's been no evidence to show that playing a "review copy" will get anyone banned or playing a game early or anything like that (mainly because lots of people legitimately do it, you just have to look at neogaf for that), but if the information in the images isn't exactly right, well...

ok im guessing that im not banned, cuz ive got the leaked nxe and when it connects to XBL it asks me to download that update. if i were banned wouldn't it say "this console is banned"? surely it wouldn't ask me to download an update.