New ban wave?

Yeah there are a lot of innocent people being banned apparently.

That sucks :/

Unless they can prove they were innocent I'd be very skeptical of those reports. People are stupid and will try anything to convince others they were innocent. Hell half of them probably think they're innocent while admitting they played pirated games. Something about it just isn't illegal to a bunch of them.

Good on MS though. I'm sure that if my console ID on my arcade can tell MS that I've had a HDD connected to it (and thus I'm not eligible for a free memory card through their program) it can also tell if the console has been tampered with, and I'm sure that only needs to get sent to MS once over Live without the user knowing to get them banned.

-Spenser

Omg I was actually banned! Time to sell up and go ps3 only!

I see what you did there...

Personally, I'm glad that these bans are heavily enforced, I've never previously heard of the innocent being banned. Whatever technical system MS have for doing the banning seems to be working well.

How can Microsoft ban Sea Pirates ? dont they live in somalia or somethin ????? was a bill gates born in somalia as well ?

ummmmmm i think the moonshine and roast squirrel are taking their toll ........

How can Microsoft ban Sea Pirates ? dont they live in somalia or somethin ????? was a bill gates born in somalia as well ?

ummmmmm i think the moonshine and roast squirrel are taking their toll ........

:p love ppl posting when high!!

None of my peeps are banned, and they are heavy heavy online players :pirate:

Edited by Draken

Funny thing is, Microsoft haven't changed the detection method ... It's just people who played bad rips.

Well done on pulling that nugget of information out of thin air (Y). You don't know what's been used to detect pirates in this round of bans more than anyone else, nobody will know for a couple of weeks (most likely), so don't just assume Microsoft have sat on their collective arses for the last year, chances are they've got plenty of ways to detect pirates that haven't been accounted for, yet. Put it this way, not a single 360 backup is a true 1:1 copy, they just rely on the firmware to make it look as genuine as they can.

Yeah there are a lot of innocent people being banned apparently.

That sucks :/

"apparently", unless you actually know a genuinely innocent person that's been banned so far, I'd take those reports with a grain of salt.

I've only had a brief look around, but it seems as though the majority of people getting banned had Samsung drives.

Well done on pulling that nugget of information out of thin air (Y). You don't know what's been used to detect pirates in this round of bans more than anyone else, nobody will know for a couple of weeks (most likely), so don't just assume Microsoft have sat on their collective arses for the last year, chances are they've got plenty of ways to detect pirates that haven't been accounted for, yet. Put it this way, not a single 360 backup is a true 1:1 copy, they just rely on the firmware to make it look as genuine as they can.

"apparently", unless you actually know a genuinely innocent person that's been banned so far, I'd take those reports with a grain of salt.

I've only had a brief look around, but it seems as though the majority of people getting banned had Samsung drives.

I don't think that info was pulled out of thin air, looks to be that people playing the review copies of certain games is what got them banned.

I love the MS bans, all the pirates get what they deserve!

Not all. Just the ones that aren't ninja. None of my friends are banned. Even my friend that has been playing GoW2 online since it got leaked. The people that get stuck in these bans either have real bad luck, or as I said, aren't ninja :shiftyninja:

Though you think there is a lot of chaos now, how much do you think there will be when NXE goes live? lmao

Well, one of the guys behind the firmwares stated this themselves after looking over what information is being sent. It's over at Xbox-scene but you would know, considering your a regular in those communities.

Well, one of the guys behind the firmwares stated this themselves after looking over what information is being sent. It's over at Xbox-scene but you would know, considering your a regular in those communities.

snap.jpg

I think it's strange how "every single time" MS does a new ban wave, some "innocent" user gets banned too. How exactly does anyone know that person was "innocent" to begin with? I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but the likelihood of it happening seems slim.

So I am trying to take a look over at xbox scene, but apparently, they are being overloaded right now.

I am curious to what the fuss is about.

The fuss is that a **** load of people have been banned from xbox live :p

I think it's good they're proactively protecting it.

Why should pirates get the same games and experience that the rest of us pay good money for? And this isn't anything new, Microsoft frequently go through "ban fests" where they just ban everyone who's been playing illegal games/using a modded console in one hit.

I think it's good they're proactively protecting it.

Why should pirates get the same games and experience that the rest of us pay good money for? And this isn't anything new, Microsoft frequently go through "ban fests" where they just ban everyone who's been playing illegal games/using a modded console in one hit.

because they also paid for live just like you

So that gives them the right to pirate games? If they're pirating games, they should be prepared for the consequences if they're caught. They willingly paid for the Live service knowing full well that they could be banned at any point. They don't get a get out of jail free card just for paying for Live.

If MS banned Live accounts they could probably crack the whip on piracy a bit (losing your preferred name & all your GS).

However that would cut income :rofl:

It's all done by disk checks and they haven't changed them since the last round according to the firmware guy they have. I'm thinking a big chunk of those banned on this wave have been caught out by a recent plethora of 'review copies' of games that seem to have turned up recently (most notably Saints Row 2 and Quantum of Solace). Could also be the copies of Gears 2 and Call of Duty: WaW that were floating around stupidly early. Microsoft are quite clever doing this just before Christmas, making their end of year sales look quite good. ;)

You're right Audioboxer, if they banned accounts that would a) be far cheaper for the pirates and b) not as much money to be made from doing that.

i think this happened for one of two reasons

1. idiots downloaded and played gears of war on live too early.

2. people who are downloading the games are burning the .iso files in windows, and not the .dvd files when burning games in windows (you have don't have to do that on a mac :p )

either way, i have no sympathy, you knew what the possible circumstances were, so if you got banned, sucks to be you.

they haven't changed their methods. It has nothing to do with the drives. Its the way they are burning them and what rips they are downloading. People need to check their sources, not just blindy download a game from god knows where. Trust me, you can play live no problem with burned games as long as you are doing everything right.

and there is TOS that people know about and if they broke them, then screw'em.