Windows 7 build 7000 (Beta 1) QnA!

I think it would be better if there was a field under that saying "Memory Available to Windows" with a help link saying "Why can't Windows use all of my memory?"

I like that idea! It would make so much more sense especially to 'the average user'

Why call it "Beta1"?? Will there also be a "Beta 2"?

There is no plan to have any more beta builds, only beta one (unless there are problems) and that's why I've been trying to stress the same thing! Why call it "beta 1"? It's annoying lol. Even Mary Jo-Foley calls it beta 1... :rolleyes:

I think it would be better if there was a field under that saying "Memory Available to Windows" with a help link saying "Why can't Windows use all of my memory?"

The Resource Monitor, on its Memory tab, shows a nice graph explaining everything.

The Resource Monitor, on its Memory tab, shows a nice graph explaining everything.

yeah, I like this tool, but it crashes very often for me :(

Is anyone having problems with Word 2007 crashing when saving a file in windows 7?

Just created a new word document and saved a test document in Word 2007 with no problem.

Does anyone else have their CPU spiking from a service called sppsvc.exe? It has to do with software policy or authentication and is one of the services specifically turned off by the TimerNuke activation countdown stopper. I had not planned on running that since rearm will extend the timer as necessary, but the sppsvc is spiking my CPU to the point that I might run the Timernuke just to shut it off.

What do you think? Has anyone else used the TimerNuke and does it have any fallout?

There is no plan to have any more beta builds, only beta one (unless there are problems) and that's why I've been trying to stress the same thing! Why call it "beta 1"? It's annoying lol. Even Mary Jo-Foley calls it beta 1... :rolleyes:

I guess you just answered your own question? ;)

I have the lastest wdm 1.1 drivers for win7, but for some reason the refresh rate is locked at 59 hz. I would selected 60hz and apply, but then, it would jump right back to 59. any1 else having this problem.

I have a 8800gt 512 and a westinghouse 22" lcd.

Why call it "Beta1"?? Will there also be a "Beta 2"?

Because that what it is. Windows always has a second beta. Even if they say there won't be more than 1, there always is

So far Windows 7 looks really good. I like the visual appearance of the windows explorer bar now, and think Microsoft really did their home work on this one

ive just noticed some icons and exe files have a small little shield icon on them

why do they have this what does it mean

I have the lastest wdm 1.1 drivers for win7, but for some reason the refresh rate is locked at 59 hz. I would selected 60hz and apply, but then, it would jump right back to 59. any1 else having this problem.

I have a 8800gt 512 and a westinghouse 22" lcd.

do you have the monitor drivers (inf) installed

i mean the proper ones off the manufacturers site not the windows ones

with my crt windows 7 wont let me pick 100Hz or anything over 85 till i installed them

i would click apply and then it would just switch back to 85

Questions from a beta n00b! (taking a break from xbox for awhile :) )

1. How much RAM will windows 7 recognize(32bit)?

2. Any confirmed anti virus work on Wndows 7 7000?

I like that idea! It would make so much more sense especially to 'the average user'

It's annoying how they pre-announce how many betas there will be. Surely the number of beta releases should be determined by the quality of the product at each beta release stage and should only move onto the RC stage when it is considered to be release quality?

Questions from a beta n00b! (taking a break from xbox for awhile :) )

1. How much RAM will windows 7 recognize(32bit)?

2. Any confirmed anti virus work on Wndows 7 7000?

1. a 32 bit system recognizes a little bit over 3GB ( I think around 3.25) A new OS doesn't change anything

2. Avira free, AVG free and Norton worked for me!

1. a 32 bit system recognizes a little bit over 3GB ( I think around 3.25) A new OS doesn't change anything

my Windows 7 says 4.00gb ?

post-47979-1230940431_thumb.jpg

well starting with Vista SP1, the OS will "see" up to 4GB RAM, but can only use just over 3GB I believe.

my Windows 7 says 4.00gb ?

*Image Removed*

That only means that there is 4 GB of RAM physically installed in the computer, it does not indicate how much of that RAM is actually addressable by the operating system, as there is an overhead associated with the video memory from your graphics card and other mapped I/O that resides in that space (this is why if you are running Windows XP or Windows Vista RTM 32-bit with 4 GB of RAM it would only show ~2.75 GB - 3.50 GB depending on how much video memory your graphics card has and other depending factors).

Is there a way to change the library icon ? I think it is totaly ugly with the shiny something on the bottom and the folders... I want to change it and I dont want to see it again even when it is open. How to do it? And what the hell was the problem with the building icon in the previous builds? It was much better :crazy:

post-260690-1230941173_thumb.jpg

I think the extra Ram is used for hardware anyway, I think someone told me that

there are difference between memory address and physical memory(Ram) .

the hardware reserve memory addresses for (bios ,graphic memory , HDD cache ....etc ) resulting in the upper limits of ram being useless for anything .