AVIs Causing Windows 7 to Freeze

I think I found the problem, the freezing never happened at first, it only happened after I downloaded windows live essentials, when I downloaded the photo gallery, and movie maker beta, they come with versions of direct x 9, and windows 7 has direct x 11, so I tried uninstalling those two programs, and it would not let me, it said that there was an error, so I reinstalled windows 7 as a fresh copy and did not install those two programs, actually I didn't install any windows live programs and I have had no problems since, and it's been 4 days.

my specs are:

512 ram

845gl intel chipset (similar chipsets to some of you guys, but without windows live essentials, no more freezing!) Hope this helps...

I think I found the problem, the freezing never happened at first, it only happened after I downloaded windows live essentials, when I downloaded the photo gallery, and movie maker beta, they come with versions of direct x 9, and windows 7 has direct x 11, so I tried uninstalling those two programs, and it would not let me, it said that there was an error, so I reinstalled windows 7 as a fresh copy and did not install those two programs, actually I didn't install any windows live programs and I have had no problems since, and it's been 4 days.

my specs are:

512 ram

845gl intel chipset (similar chipsets to some of you guys, but without windows live essentials, no more freezing!) Hope this helps...

Do you mean you can watch AVI videos through any video player or play games without problems??

That would b great!!

Any idea how to uninstall those feature without a full windows 7 Reinstallation?

You should know by now that Win7 supports most common codec OOTB. You don't need to install anything unless you are using some truly weird codec.

What about Quicktime? stand-alone VOB playback? (by VOB files, I mean when you double-click on a VOB file, WMP won't play it, it has to play it as part of a DVD which is a shame since my DVD camcorder records to single VOB files each time I press the record button.

Well it seems that i have the same issue, with any media player, or codec it wont allow me to open any videos, on the brightside i can open youtube videos

my experience with windows 7 so far and specs

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=725196

Nvidia geforce 4 mx 320 user what drivers are you using? in my case im using the ancient XP driver 72.30 which it works for vista and windows7.... even the old nvidia control panel work with powermizer

Edited by eilegz

well after unistalling the video drivers the video loads, but skipping, i guess its all nvidia and microsoft that cant get a decent vista driver for a geforce 4 card and have to use a OLD xp driver....

• 2 weeks later...

Intel 82865G here and same problem. Hard freeze during WEI Assessment(decoding part) and when I play movies via WMP. I'm able to play avi's via VLC though.

My GPU didn't have Vista compatible drivers so installed the XP ones via compatibility which allowed me to use it.

Well I just finished installing version 7022 and it fixed all the hardware freezing issues. I can play all my .avi's and what have you again!! But I still have the issue of where Media Center goes black when its in full screen, otherwise its getting better.

Intel 915gm

Well I just finished installing version 7022 and it fixed all the hardware freezing issues. I can play all my .avi's and what have you again!! But I still have the issue of where Media Center goes black when its in full screen, otherwise its getting better.

Intel 915gm

Thanks for the heads up!!! I'll definitely try this build.

Well I just finished installing version 7022 and it did not fix all the hardware avi freezing issues

on an old HP Zt3000 series laptop with ATI Radeon 9200 GPU.

so its back to 6801 :(

Edited by easydigital

Well I just finished installing version 7022 and it did not fix all the hardware avi freezing issues

Actually I have the same notebook series (ZT3000) with the same GPU card, and after upgrading to 7200 (not fresh install), I can confirm the everything works fine now! The stock drivers which were installed work fine, and I don't encounter the freezing problem anymore.

I tried installing the ATI beta drivers for Windows 7 from here:

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...uestionID=39069

But I didn't notice any difference.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone tested 7048.0.090219-1845_x86fre_client_en-us_Ultimate_EN_DVD ?

I have HP nx7010 (radeon mob 9200).

Under 7048 - black screen, but the laptop works.

Under 7022 all it was good.

The reason in old drivers (from a site microsoft come driver dated August 2008)

I search for the driver for January or February 2009

Edited by SunT

Don't install DivX or any other codecs. Window 7 plays DivX AVIs right out of the box fine even with AC3 sound. The next milestone will play even more formats natively. FFDShow is very experimental. I've never had luck with any version of it.

Well I just finished installing version 7057 32bit and VLC working :)

thanx for the info +GreyWolfSC

• 2 weeks later...

Mine freezes randomly, not necessarily when I am watching a video.

It looks like the system locks up...the processors are not at 100% so i know its not a software using all the resources.... but the harddrive icon is constantly on when this happens...

I have a lenovo T60

Any suggestions guys?

How weird I didn't come across this sooner...

I was using 7057 and I was having random stuttering and hiccups. Usually after about 15-20 min of watching something. I was using the default drivers that came with it on my 3450, so I have no idea what the hell.

After tinkering with it and being frustrated, I went back to XP.

By the way... I hope this doesn't turn into that XP fiasco that they had with nvdisp.dll with the nvidia cards back in the day. That was a FREAKING disaster.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought that I was the only one in this universe who was having this crashing with .avi problem.

Previous to Win 7, I was running Vista Ultimate and could play any video that was on my system, i.e. .avi, .mkv (using KMPlayer), and some .wmv.

When I upped to a clean install of Win 7 7000, I still could play all of my videos as with Vista above. This was OOTB with no codecs or ATI drivers installed.

Then, when I clean installed Win 7 7048, every time I played any of the above videos, the video would start playing and then I would get a BSOD. This was true for WMP, KMPlayer and MP Classic. On 7048, after rebooting from the BSOD, nothing worked at all and I had to go back to 7000.

I have since tried 7057 and 7077 and I get the same results except that everything still works after a reboot.

The video plays for maybe 2 seconds, then there are a lot of horizontal lines filling the screen accompanied by a quite loud buzzing sound, followed by the BSOD, and a forced reboot. It even happens after installing the latest beta from ATI.

This is REALLY frustrating because I cannot seem to get to the bottom of it.

This is my setup:

m/b: ASUS P5VD2-X

CPU: Pentium D Dual Core 3.0 GHz

GPU: ASUS ATI Radeon HD 3650 (500 MB RAM)

RAM: 4 GB installed, 3 GB available.

Anyone have any further ideas?

Is it wirth trying VLC on 7077 to see if it works?

Do you have a pci interface card for SATA or IDE devices?

Turns out that my problem was because my PCI IDE card was failing, and the drive was attached via the card.

I am now running 7077, and not using the card anymore, it runs great.