AVIs Causing Windows 7 to Freeze

I thought that I was the only one in this universe who was having this crashing with .avi problem.

Previous to Win 7, I was running Vista Ultimate and could play any video that was on my system, i.e. .avi, .mkv (using KMPlayer), and some .wmv.

When I upped to a clean install of Win 7 7000, I still could play all of my videos as with Vista above. This was OOTB with no codecs or ATI drivers installed.

Then, when I clean installed Win 7 7048, every time I played any of the above videos, the video would start playing and then I would get a BSOD. This was true for WMP, KMPlayer and MP Classic. On 7048, after rebooting from the BSOD, nothing worked at all and I had to go back to 7000.

I have since tried 7057 and 7077 and I get the same results except that everything still works after a reboot.

The video plays for maybe 2 seconds, then there are a lot of horizontal lines filling the screen accompanied by a quite loud buzzing sound, followed by the BSOD, and a forced reboot. It even happens after installing the latest beta from ATI.

This is REALLY frustrating because I cannot seem to get to the bottom of it.

This is my setup:

m/b: ASUS P5VD2-X

CPU: Pentium D Dual Core 3.0 GHz

GPU: ASUS ATI Radeon HD 3650 (500 MB RAM)

RAM: 4 GB installed, 3 GB available.

Anyone have any further ideas?

Is it wirth trying VLC on 7077 to see if it works?

I've tried it again this morning with ATI Catalyst 9.4 and installed VLC Player.

From the fresh install, I can play .mpg files but .avi, .wmv, .mkv all cause a BSOD.

After installing VLC, I cannot play anything with it including .mpg, but .mpg still works in WMP or WMC.

Confused? I used to be but I'm not so sure now.

Back to 7000...

Thinking about reinstalling Vista (for watching videos/football etc) and dual boot Win 7 7077 or whatever comes out next.

I just tested latest build in vmware. Played everything I threw at it fine (needed to install Haali's Media Splitter for .mkv) including mp4, xvid, h264, and wmv.

I just tested latest build in vmware. Played everything I threw at it fine (needed to install Haali's Media Splitter for .mkv) including mp4, xvid, h264, and wmv.

I'm glad to hear you're not having my problems. This is mega frustrating to say the least.

I'm glad to hear you're not having my problems. This is mega frustrating to say the least.

It might be something weird going on. This has been happening with a friend of mine but he's on XP.

It might be something weird going on. This has been happening with a friend of mine but he's on XP.

I think 'weird' is an understatement; especially when all videos play under build 7000 but nothing will play under 7048, 7057 or 7077 on the same machine!

I'm going to set up VMWare and watch videos in a virtual box, probably with XP as the OS.

i stopped having that kind of problems in 7 when installed The KMPlayer

no more codecs needed to put on windows, no stuff to be able to see .mkv, or see subtitles, etc

and even better, no more problems in windows like you guys have =)

I think 'weird' is an understatement; especially when all videos play under build 7000 but nothing will play under 7048, 7057 or 7077 on the same machine!

I'm going to set up VMWare and watch videos in a virtual box, probably with XP as the OS.

OK, I've got 7077 installed and every video I try to play except DVD crashes the thing.

I have installed XP in VMWare as a virtual operating system, and now I can watch all my videos, albeit in XP!

Temporary happiness ;-)

In order to resolve the issue I was having with my Dell 600m & Radeon 9000 on Win7, 7000, I had to return to using the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" driver. Previously I was using the XPDM driver (12/08) that was suggested and my avi's would freeze in both WMP and Media Player Classic. Unfortunately OpenGL 1.4 is needed for Boxee so that is not running on this machine (I have 1.1).

In the beginning, I had no problems with Win 7 build 7000. I could play whatever video file I wanted and it would work perfectly.

Since checking out the various builds after 7000, right up to the latest RC build 7100, I have nothing but problems when playing video files.

No matter which player I use, be it WMP, KMPlayer, VLC or Media Player Classic, I get a BSOD after trying to open a video file, including DVD.

(Actually, that is not strictly true as I can open *.mpg files for some strange reason.)

This problem is so frustrating as I cannot find any answer. This is my machine:

Mainboard - ASUS P5VD2-X

CPU - Dual Core Intel Pentium D 925, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)

RAM - DIMM1: Kingbox Tech. KINGBOX 2GB; DIMM3: Kingbox Tech. KINGBOX 2GB

Display - ASUS ATI Radeon HD 3650 (ATI Catalyst 9.4 Driver)

OS - Win 7; any build after 7000.

I have tried changing my video card for an older ASUS ATI card but got the same result - BSOD.

So, my question to you folks is:

Can anyone give me a clue as to what might be wrong?

In the beginning, I had no problems with Win 7 build 7000. I could play whatever video file I wanted and it would work perfectly.

Since checking out the various builds after 7000, right up to the latest RC build 7100, I have nothing but problems when playing video files.

No matter which player I use, be it WMP, KMPlayer, VLC or Media Player Classic, I get a BSOD after trying to open a video file, including DVD.

(Actually, that is not strictly true as I can open *.mpg files for some strange reason.)

This problem is so frustrating as I cannot find any answer. This is my machine:

Mainboard - ASUS P5VD2-X

CPU - Dual Core Intel Pentium D 925, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)

RAM - DIMM1: Kingbox Tech. KINGBOX 2GB; DIMM3: Kingbox Tech. KINGBOX 2GB

Display - ASUS ATI Radeon HD 3650 (ATI Catalyst 9.4 Driver)

OS - Win 7; any build after 7000.

I have tried changing my video card for an older ASUS ATI card but got the same result - BSOD.

So, my question to you folks is:

Can anyone give me a clue as to what might be wrong?

I had this problem with build 7048, It was from video drivers (I had nvidia win 7 beta drv), so I've installed vista drivers and the problem dissapeared.

Also try different codecs, I'm using The KMP with MPC-HC Video decoder (I had to force It because of the internal windows decoders) on all video files, and I don't have a single problem (Build 7077).

I had this problem with build 7048, It was from video drivers (I had nvidia win 7 beta drv), so I've installed vista drivers and the problem dissapeared.

Also try different codecs, I'm using The KMP with MPC-HC Video decoder (I had to force It because of the internal windows decoders) on all video files, and I don't have a single problem (Build 7077).

That sounds really interesting, and I'm going to try as you suggest. After checking it out, I'll report back.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

And here I am with the RC version (d/l direct from MS) installed and I STILL have the same problem. Every video file I try to play results in a BSOD. On the last time I tried this, the computer rebooted from the BSOD with no Aero interface and no access to Explorer or anything else for that matter. I had to reinstall Win 7.

I'm actually considering replacing my mainboard and CPU as I'm sure there must be some conflict somewhere between Win 7 and my hardware. Win 7 7000 worked perfectly as far as videos was concerned. Since then, every build that I've tried has resulted in a BSOD.

Such is life...

Or, shall I just give up and go back to Vista...

No, I love Win 7...

But you had no problems with Vista...

Yeah, but everyone says it's s**t...

Give me more beer and a new life...

Switch to the basic (non-Aero) interface and see if it still does it. It still sounds like a video problem. ...and don't listen to "everyone else" about Vista, they're incorrect. :)

EDIT: A quick Google search shows lots of problems with Windows 7/ATI/BSODs...

Did you try the downloadable drivers from ATI directly? http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst...windows-7-64bit

Edited by GreyWolfSC

Well, I finally gave up trying to solve the problem in any logical way - the problem was so illogical that is was probably unsolvable anyway.

What I did was to buy a new m/b (ASUS P5Q-EM) and a new CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo E8400) and rebuilt.

Now, everything works just fine.

There must have been a hardware problem somewhere. I tried changing everything that was possible - Win 7 builds, video card, RAM - nothing worked.

Now, I've spent some of my savings but this m/c is really fast now. Win 7 64-bit with 7GB RAM and it flies.

Really happy.

Hope you guys solve your problems without going down the path that I took.

• 2 weeks later...

i will revive this topic, tried windows 7 RC1 and avi or any videos do not freeze anymore

specs

a Toshiba Satellite with a very old specs

Pentium 4 2.26 GHZ Northwood

768 MB ram DDR1

40Gb Hard drive

Geforce 4 MX 420 32 mb

XP driver 72.30, windows 7 rc1 its a big improvement, really happy so far lets see how it goes

• 3 months later...

HI guys,

have the same setup on an old N800C (Mobility Radeon 7500 32 Mb) Laptop.

I found some drivers working where Dxdiag says no issues, but I can't get any Direct3D programs to run (Media Center, Media Portal, ...)

Any idea how to get this working, while it says enabled in Dxdiag?

tx

I got Windows Media Center to work by tweaking the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Display Settings

Then Add 2 DWORD KEYS called DisableDxCheck and DisableDx9CapsCheck and set both their values to 1 and media center should start without problems

But it's slow.

So for MediaPortal I guess developers would need to help

• 4 weeks later...

I have same problem on Win7Ult64bit7600

Usually playing video works fine when Windows is freshly booted.

And I never experienced freeze during playing of video, but it freezes sometimes when loading video into MPC-HC 64bit 1.3.1249.0.

Then screen freezes, no mouse movement or any animation.

I do think that system still works sometimes cause I see HDD activity like everything works fine. Also I can hear that CPU FAN slows down when this happens. But I was not able to restart or shutdown system other way then with hard reset button.

I also experienced this with CAD application, also during startup.

I have overclocked Intel? Core2 Duo CPU E6550 and NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT with Nvidia Win7 64bit 8.16.11.9062 driver installed, Driver Model: WDDM 1.1.

In DxDiag it says DirectX 11

In "Performance Information and Tools" under "Graphics" it says DirectX 10

I do believe it happens during initialization of D3D or basically during initialization of hardware acceleration.

But why intermittently?

• 2 months later...