• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windows 7 Official Public Beta

Question

atleeit    20

Hi Everyone,

Earlier today Technet China has placed a link to Windows 7 Beta but it's not active yet, It was said that Microsoft will release the Beta sometime around 5th Jan US time, which it's only 4-5am in the morning.

http://technet.microsoft.com/zh-cn/evalcenter/default.aspx

Keep an eye on this page as it might be one of the first pages to make the link go live.

I know it's in Chinese but easy to navigate! Just convert the page using Google translator

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...zh-CN&tl=en

So lets all keep a close eye on this baby :D

The 5th of Jan is looking promising. Or will it be 7th?

LOOKS LIKE 13th of JAN, CES 2009...we will all see the Beta release....You never know :)

3,261 answers to this question

Ci7    193
Did Microsoft actually ever confirm that the release was going to be today? I thought it was always just plain ol' "Early January", and there was no "Microsoft Approved" date to go with that.

oh *cries*

:pinch:

What's the point of releasing it if pretty much everyone that currently has it acquired it illegally? Are you simple?

7003 is the START of the RTM build. Clearly can't read either.

RTM ??? who said that .

it is Release candidate 7004+ from what i heard

If it's not today then it'll just be when CES starts. So you'll have to wait an extra 2 days, not much.

still wishing it is now , since i will have more time to try/test stuffs..... etc.... (i have a holiday for few days :) )

(Spork)    87

spams f5 and waits

djdanster    595

Well It wont be released at least until Steve Ballmer gives his speech in the key notes about windows 7 and the future of Xbox at CES 2009 on the 7th of January. Which is infact 2 days from now :happy:

0sit0    136

oh well... more waiting :hmmm:

Ambroos    803

About the updates they may include... As far as I remember you can add certain MSU files (update stuff) in some folder on the DVD image (without changing the actual install image) that will get installed during the installation of Windows. (If it's not true, don't blame me!)

DavidM    329

It seems to me that Jan 7th would be a better day to release a project named Seven, but hey what do I know?

TruckWEB    450
Windows 7 is perhaps the best Windows ever made.

It's super fabulous!

LOL.... Win7 is Vista with new stuff in it and it's a little bit faster/snappier.

But it's still Vista at the core level....

Mercellus    0

In my opinion, Windows 7 is what Windows Vista should have been (in other words, it's basically Longhorn realized).

+Audioboxer    2,876
LOL.... Win7 is Vista
with new stuff in it and it's a little bit faster/snappier
But it's still Vista at the core level....

:wacko:

iaTa    0
Have you been reading the Microsoft articles about the leak, 7000 was a meant to be Beta 1 build, whats the point of releasing if everyone has already and MS knows about it.

Just you wait i'm guessing for something higher.

RTM is not 7001/2/3....too much reading of made up stuff lol

What's the point of releasing it if pretty much everyone that currently has it acquired it illegally? Are you simple?

7003 is the START of the RTM build. Clearly can't read either.

kinetix63    21

Did Microsoft actually ever confirm that the release was going to be today? I thought it was always just plain ol' "Early January", and there was no "Microsoft Approved" date to go with that.

stevember    137
Have you been reading the Microsoft articles about the leak, 7000 was a meant to be Beta 1 build, whats the point of releasing if everyone has already and MS knows about it.

Ummm saves them a lot of money and bandwidth!

tomwarren    61

OK so much FUD in this thread. 7000 is beta 1, they branched for the RTM/RC builds starting at 7003. 7001 and 7002 are reserved (skipped). QFE patch is coming for the 7000 build via WU

Steven77    0

Not sure if some people were born yesterday but Microsoft rarely puts things up the day they say they will. It's usually the next day or the one after. With that said, i HIGHLY doubt anything will be ready for download until the keynote speech or whatever happens. They gotta talk about it first before they just give it out! Which is what, later today?

darkmanx21    0

Ok. So when is it being released..and what is the non-sense with the mp3's. I don't want to install anything if it's going to mess with my mp3 tags.

scratch42069    16
Ok. So when is it being released..and what is the non-sense with the mp3's. I don't want to install anything if it's going to mess with my mp3 tags.

It's WMP 12 that causes it, not Windows 7 itself.

winlonghorn    94
Not sure if some people were born yesterday but Microsoft rarely puts things up the day they say they will. It's usually the next day or the one after. With that said, i HIGHLY doubt anything will be ready for download until the keynote speech or whatever happens. They gotta talk about it first before they just give it out! Which is what, later today?

Keep in mind that there are time zones. I have rarely seen Microsoft miss the release date for a beta when you account for time zones.

Steven77    0
Keep in mind that there are time zones. I have rarely seen Microsoft miss the release date for a beta when you account for time zones.

;)

Vista SP2 public beta anyone? That was the last public beta and if i remember correctly it was a full 24 hours late if not longer.

NiallG    2
;)

Vista SP2 public beta anyone? That was the last public beta and if i remember correctly it was a full 24 hours late if not longer.

Shhhh!!! Don't jinx it :p

fix-this!    76

i don't care when i get it just as long as i get it, got it ? :rofl:

winlonghorn    94
;)

Ok, Ok, maybe I just had a temporary lapse in memory there. Sorry, it has been a little while. I guess memory loss comes earlier than the experts say huh? ROFL :p

i don't care when i get it just as long as i get it, got it ? :rofl:

True! Sorry that I goofed up on that one btw. :)

burnblue    1
It's WMP 12 that causes it, not Windows 7 itself.

It's editing the file metadata that causes it, so this can happen if you use Explorer too (I've used both WMP and Explorer to edit a lot of files in my huge library, I'm scared to check exactly what has been chopped).

If you use WMP with all the automatic song info updating turned off, you should be fine.

Steven77    0
Ok, Ok, maybe I just had a temporary lapse in memory there. Sorry, it has been a little while. I guess memory loss comes earlier than the experts say huh? ROFL :p

True! Sorry that I goofed up on that one btw. :)

Hehe its ok. Well i am accounting for time zones, i live in the dam redmond time zone!

winlonghorn    94
Hehe its ok. Well i am accounting for time zones, i live in the dam redmond time zone!

Ah ok! Didn't know that. Again, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions so quickly. :)

atleeit    20
OK so much FUD in this thread. 7000 is beta 1, they branched for the RTM/RC builds starting at 7003. 7001 and 7002 are reserved (skipped). QFE patch is coming for the 7000 build via WU

Just you wait i'm guessing for something higher.

RTM is not 7001/2/3....too much reading of made up stuff lol