The New xBox?

Ok, this may be a little late but I really just wanted to add my 2 cents concerning the size issue.

First off. It's big because of the components contained in it. do you really think they could have addad all that stuff in a case the size of PS? NO! For multiple reasons. Which brings me to reason #2.

Because of the components used the Xbox needs to be able to cool them. To do this it needs to be able to move the air around the case. As ANY good PC enthusiast knows, Airflow is key to cooling. Had they made the Xbox smaller then they would have had to figure out another way to cool it, which would have meant remove some components. So which ones would go? Certainly not the DVD-ROM Drive or the processor or GPU, what's left? Oh yeah, that's right, 2 components that make the Xbox a better buy... THE HARD DRIVE AND LAN SUPPORT! For the power that the Xbox has graphically still has not yet made it's pinnacle.

If you remember way back when, the games for the PS1 were awesome, then towards the coming of the PS2 the graphics had changed significantly, why just pop in FF IX and then play for a sec, then load up FF VII. Notice a difference? Of course you do!It's because us Programmers figure out new ways to optomize our code and new ways of submitting commands to the GPU. Well, the Vole thought about this, and said, well let's drop something in it that will give amazing graphics now but in 2 1/2 years it's putting out better than average graphics. Enter Nvidia. Do you think they scrapped on that GPU in there?

Well it's that reason that means the Xbox must be cooled and cooled very efficiently. To do this, they made the Case larger, so that the Airflow would not be restricted and so that ALL components get cooled. I set my Xbox up one day and left it on the menu for Unreal Championship for 3 days without playing, now on the PS2 I did that with just the FFX menu screen, when I came home from work the next day, the PS2 was burning hot and was constantly locking up, and my Apt stays at a frosty 67 Degrees. Back to the Xbox, I can actually hold it and not have to be rushed to the emergency room with 3rd degree burns!

Trust me, if Sony is as intelligent as we all hope they are, they will think about this kind of thing and make the PS3 in a larger case than the PS2. This is not a case of someone saying PS2 sux0r$, no, far from it. I love my PS2! I mean come on, we got great games ther, Final Fantsy series, GTA3 and GTA VC. The list goes on and on. Personally, I think M$ and Sony should put their big brains together and come up with a console for us. Use the Cell tech and tech from Intel and Nvidia with a nice new Dashboard. Well, I can dream can't I? Anyways, I agree, it'd be nice it they made it stackable but in all actuality they did, you just have to put it on top.

When you break it all down, we can sit here and bitch about this and that concerning the Xbox and M$, but then again, we could do the same about anything. The truth is quite simple, in the Console wars, Sony and M$ take the cake. Yeah so Sony solkd more, they've also been around longer with the PS2, and oh yeah, did mention that quite a few people have owned 2 or more?! It's because the DVD-ROM drive in the PS2 sucked. It kept frying a gear or the laser. And most of the time it lasted just long enough for warranties to run out on them so the owner had to buy a new one. I know people have had problems with the DVD drives on the Xbox too.

I'll finish by saying this, both have their flaws but when it comes down to it, they both perform the job and they both do it beautifully. I'll always own both. No way I could go on without my fix of FF or GTA!!!

Damnit, another post where I said too much... sorry bout that... :cool: