Windows 7 experience

Windows 7 experience  

1,826 members have voted

1. 1. How was installation?

• 7 - Awsome, very fast, no problems!
    • 1 - Couldn't be worse. Got nasty errors, couldn't install.
  2. 2. How is compatability

• 7 - Everything compatible (programs and hardware)
    • 1 - Nothing at all, not even crucial things(processor, etc)
  3. 3. The features

• 7 - It has everything
    • 1 - It has nothing, windows 1 was better.

Just installed Win7 Pro x64 (obtained via MSDNAA, thanks college :D)

All seems to be running fine. Only thing I can see that hasn't installed is my webcam and there appears to be no driver available. Not a biggy really. Network, audio and all that jazz going straight off the bat...no messing around.

Seems to run quite smooth and all my applications are installing fine even if most are going into this 32bit program files folder it seems to have. RAM use seems a tad higher than XP Pro...currently it's using about 1GB of my 2GB with just firefox and spotify running. Seems quite responsive overall on my core2duo e6300 (2x1.8GHz cpu)

Notice it has a lot of drivers installed out of the box including for my graphics card (8800GT). Says driver provider is NVIDIA but I'm assuming these are generic and I should still head over to NVIDIA site and download "real" drivers (for want of a better word). Or has it actually installed everything straight off?

Not that it matters, but the Experience index numbers have changed. On 7 almost all my stuff rates a 6.2-6.4. Except my Video card, I get 5.1. On vista the same card is 5.4. Nvidia Geforce 9500 with 512ram. Do updated video drivers increase the score?

Hello again Neowin!

I was able to get Windows 7 Pro through my university and it is one sexy beast! I'm coming from XP and this actually runs faster. Installed perfectly putting my old files in the Windows.old folder. I had already backed up important media anyways. No major hiccups yet.

My Windows Experience Index is a 3.4 bottlenecked because of my CPU which is a 2.6ghz P4 *gasp* also I have 2gigs of RAM, but that gave me a 4.8. Still though, runs great, very sexy!

EDIT: Oh Snap, haven't been here in a while (check joined date) so these specs are a little old.

7/7/7

Wonderful OS, very happy with what Microsoft has done with Windows 7. I am selling my iMac, and putting together a PC just for Windows 7, heck, they made me switch!!

Well, I think Win7(64bit) works well. I've had the RTM running for 22days without needing a restart while recording TV. Media Center is now great! I have only had problems with drivers for older printers (that did work with Vista 64bit). I have had no problems at all with Intel/Nvidia drivers. I was not a big Vista fan, I always thought of it as bloat ware, and slow. XP was and is a great OS, but its old now. MS can only do so much with it at this point. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials, and have blocked many unwanted programs from installing with it. MSE does not seem to slow the OS down much at all. I think MS has a winner here, and no I'm not a MS fanboy. I was actually close to going Mac myself early this year. All this on a 1.8 dual core machine with 2gigs of RAM. Hardly a great machine, but I do not play games on computers anymore. As soon as I can take commercials out automatically, it will be perfect. :)

Windows 7 is running well here on my MacBook Pro. :D I thought the installation was a little slow in comparison to other OSs I've installed, but it was still quick. No driver incompatibilities (running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) and has a nice slew of features.

However, it definitely won't become my main OS. Despite it being a great OS, I still think Snow Leopard is better for what I use my computer for.

After a number of issues with World of Warcraft within 5 mins of starting up which I've finally fixed. I'm thoroughly enjoying the experience. Coming from XP. Visually it's came on leaps and bounds as well as performance it's much quicker. :)

managed to get Windows 7 pro x64 through university and MSDN.

I absolutely love it!!! Much better than vista and everything is compatible and runs so so well. Much more efficient, and quicker than vista.

I had vista from the start and never had problems with it, but Windows 7 is my new love!

Whoever doesnt have it already, GET IT. You will no be dissapointed.

it's a lot cleaner and faster than XP ..leaves a smaller footprint compared to vista and the best thing about this OS is that it's drivers is remarkably fantastic. Just plug in almost anything and it will install it without a glitch.

Thanks Microsoft. :)

So far so good, although not able to get mousewheel scrolling the same as what it felt like in XP at the moment, it doesn't scroll smooth on most Windows 7 apps and instead blinks past large blocks of lines.

Installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit (From Launch Event) on HP Pavillion DV6928US.

Clean install only took about 15 minutes, and system ran perfectly. Some Windows Updates installed some driver updates, and a couple of security patches, then it all ran smooth.

Installed VS 2008 Standard (From product launch event), Office 2003 Pro (from product launch event), Vegas Movie Studio 7.0 Platinum with DVD Architect Studio 4.0, as well as Security Essentials and Live Mail.

So far, I have had no issues, and everything works. Still playing with it, and testing it, but it already seems a lot better than Vista Ultimate (32bit) that I had before.

Not sure what to do with the Vista Ultimate 32bit software. Maybe on a VM as a test environment?

7/7/7

Installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit (From Launch Event) on HP Pavillion DV6928US.

Clean install only took about 15 minutes, and system ran perfectly. Some Windows Updates installed some driver updates, and a couple of security patches, then it all ran smooth.

Installed VS 2008 Standard (From product launch event), Office 2003 Pro (from product launch event), Vegas Movie Studio 7.0 Platinum with DVD Architect Studio 4.0, as well as Security Essentials and Live Mail.

So far, I have had no issues, and everything works. Still playing with it, and testing it, but it already seems a lot better than Vista Ultimate (32bit) that I had before.

Not sure what to do with the Vista Ultimate 32bit software. Maybe on a VM as a test environment?

7/7/7

You know what, as someone who has primarily been a Mac user for 4+ years following a 10+ year evangelism with anything Microsoft, I am quite impressed with Windows 7. I have dropped it on a couple older computers and a netbook with an Atom processor, and it is quite a nice release. They took some of the best parts of XP and learned from all of the mistakes of Vista, and they went and produced an all-around decent operating system.

Don't get me wrong, I won't be ditching the Macintosh OS that I love and live with today, but I have to at least tip my hat to the boys (and girls) in Redmond for finally listening to what consumers wanted.

So, when I would put myself back in the shoes of being a Windows admin, I would look at Vista and I could never imagine any corporate environment in their right mind ever adopting it over Windows XP or Windows 2000. At least, no company that wanted to be taken seriously. However, with Windows 7, I can almost see Microsoft being back at that stage in the game.

It's just a reminder that you should never get so big that you forget about the wants and needs of the people who got you to that position.

Besides having to buy a new wifi card (because of Linksys' lack of support) it is awesome! Now I had the beta and rc installed for quite a while, so there is nothing really new...but still a fine os. Very fast!

7/7/7

loving new taskbar, i had a small problem with install when its was taking ages to get from one window to another, etc. then i "googled" and it turns out you have to disable floppy in the bios, from then on everything went smooth.