Apple Safari 4 Beta

and the new location of the reload button is going to take some getting used to.. well the entire browser is actually.

it will take a bit to get used to but the new location makes sense (and takes less space)

Safari: http://img.skitch.com/20090224-baiqn2r2xhp...u64up7mbq4q.jpg

Firefox: http://img.skitch.com/20090224-8s87kpjfxpx...mrppska2fx2.jpg

Default installs of both: no addons, hacks, extensions, etc. Freshly opened.

For comparison: Comparing Safari and Firefox with 6 tabs open (this page, wikipedia, youtube, daringfireball, uncrate, skitch) the difference was 40mb with safari at 157mb, Firefox at 120mb.

Safari is aggressively caching loaded resources so that swapping back to recent pages is 'speedy'.

I don't mind it using lots of memory as long as it's to improve responsiveness, that's why I paid for all that ram right?

You can...remember it's Apple - works only from top right corner where the gripper appears.

a bit annoying, hopefully this will be fixed in the final version

you can't organize tabs... (edit: nvm, figured it out)

and the new location of the reload button is going to take some getting used to.. well the entire browser is actually.

and yeah, apple screws their own HIG all the time, the dock breaks a crap load of rules too

What human-interface guidelines are being broken here? I'm just curious, as I know that Apple has actually historically been quite good at adhering to the HIG they've set.

You can...remember it's Apple - works only from top right corner where the gripper appears.

yeah you are right, dragging from the gripper only is a complete apple thing

For comparison: Comparing Safari and Firefox with 6 tabs open (this page, wikipedia, youtube, daringfireball, uncrate, skitch) the difference was 40mb with safari at 157mb, Firefox at 120mb.

Safari is aggressively caching loaded resources so that swapping back to recent pages is 'speedy'.

Check this out:

post-39580-1235500775_thumb.jpg

^ yeah i figured it out, thanks though

don't know if i am a fan of the whole tabs on top thing, yeah you save screen real estate but really :s

It's a new concept if you haven't yet used Google Chrome, but once you get used to it, it's really quite nice. Since it's also tab-centric, it makes moving tabs into new windows, etc. quite easy. (Even though this could be done before.) I think it's mainly done to save some valuable screen real estate.

What? It's not about opinions at all, but about facts. IE7 has paltry standards support (CSS/JS) and its engine is pretty damn slow compared to Safari 3.2.

Yeah, sorry about my post, I guess I (yet again) am terrible at wording my intentions sometimes.

Anyway, I guess what I was trying to get at is that I've also experienced issues with Safari in the past that caused it to either run slowly or not at all. So I could understand why some would have preferred IE or another browser. Some just like IE because it's there and functional, even if broken.

Yeah, sorry about my post, I guess I (yet again) am terrible at wording my intentions sometimes.

Anyway, I guess what I was trying to get at is that I've also experienced issues with Safari in the past that caused it to either run slowly or not at all. So I could understand why some would have preferred IE or another browser. Some just like IE because it's there and functional, even if broken.

will never understand why people still use IE6...

The tab is integrated with the window toolbar--either they keep the standard OS behavior of moving the window with your cursor or they change the behavior to move tabs. I think most people would prefer to keep the former behavior.

Looks like you need to do a little bit of research. Apple built Webkit off of KHTML to use as the basis for Safari. Later on, Apple released Webkit as open source, and it was used by Google to create Chrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webkit

I'm fully aware of what WebKit is and its history.

You seemed to be implying that Chrome was a copy of Safari, when in fact it wasn't. One could make the argument Safari was a "copy" of KHTML.

will never understand why people still use IE6...

Again... Because it's there and works, as badly as it may work. Especially within large corporations, most end users have no choice. It's either IE or not Internet at all.

The tab is integrated with the window toolbar--either they keep the standard OS behavior of moving the window with your cursor or they change the behavior to move tabs. I think most people would prefer to keep the former behavior.

I agree. At first, I thought the tab gripper was a bit off, but now I understand why it's there. That is solely for moving the tabs around within the window. The actual tab itself can be gripped and moved to a new window. Thus, the two portions of the tab are accomplishing different behavior.

Thus, I think the gripper is here to stay. But it shouldn't be too hard to get used to it.

yeah that's a pretty good point. Or they could give the option of having the tab toolbar on top or bottom...

Again... Because it's there and works, as badly as it may work. Especially within large corporations, most end users have no choice. It's either IE or not Internet at all.

but the thing is, almost all major intranet software supports IE7 now. Only reason i can see a company needing ie6 is web developpers testing out websites

yeah that's a pretty good point. Or they could give the option of having the tab toolbar on top or bottom...

but the thing is, almost all major intranet software supports IE7 now. Only reason i can see a company needing ie6 is web developpers testing out websites

I agree with your first point... Perhaps the gripper should be placed on the lower right, just as it is with all other OS X windows. Would be consistent, and you'd understand immediately what the purpose of the widget is...

As for IE6, perhaps. I really don't know why it's still being used today.

Blimey, little big on the memory usage! Aside from that, it's good.

Yeah I love the speed it loads the sites but the memory puts me off it completely, I hate to imagine how high it could go after a few hours usage because I can have FF open for 6+ hours and it will only use 160mb max.

Interesting how on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger the titlebar/toolbar is like Leopard (including the white inactive state which obviously isn't in Tiger), but the bottom status bar is brushed metal. Love the continuity by Apple. But I suppose 'beta' is an acceptable excuse.....