F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

idioot

Hoping for rain tomorrow, would make things a bit more interesting! :D

LewisBraid
Hoping for rain tomorrow, would make things a bit more interesting! :D

Certainly will! Heard that Brawn GP havent even tested in wet situations, will be extremely interesting.

Mike
Nice one, Button. Although only by a tenth of a second! Hopefully if we don't encounter the incidents of Australia again, we're gonna see a very very close race tomorrow! :)

Wait till the car weights are out, Brawn's could be (and probably are) the heaviest again.

tuckeratlarge

I tell you what, I think the FIA needs a re-think. This technical rule book shenanigans is stupid.

It's easy. For F1 to be great again go back to basics....

Rule 1. Engine must be 2.4L normally aspirated. Other than that do what you want.

Rule 2. Car must be no more than n length, n height, n width, and all teams use the same tyres.

Rule 3. Car must be pretty.

Race on

Popcorned1

Heavy rain expected for tomorrow. Could be interesting.

Mike

Pos. Driver	   Team				Car weight (kg)
 1.  Button	   Brawn-Mercedes		 660
 2.  Trulli	   Toyota				 656.5
 3.  Vettel	   Red Bull-Renault	   647
 4.  Barrichello  Brawn-Mercedes		 664.5
 5.  Glock		Toyota				 656.5
 6.  Rosberg	  Williams-Toyota		656
 7.  Webber	   Red Bull-Renault	   656
 8.  Kubica	   BMW-Sauber			 663
 9.  Raikkonen	Ferrari				662.5
10.  Alonso	   Renault				680.5
11.  Heidfeld	 BMW-Sauber			 692
12.  Nakajima	 Williams-Toyota		683.4
13.  Hamilton	 McLaren-Mercedes	   688
14.  Kovalainen   McLaren-Mercedes	   688.9
15.  Bourdais	 Toro Rosso-Ferrari	 670.5
16.  Massa		Ferrari				689.5
17.  Piquet	   Renault				681.9
18.  Fisichella   Force India-Mercedes   680.5
19.  Sutil		Force India-Mercedes   655.5
20.  Buemi		Toro Rosso-Ferrari	 686.5

Everyone 10th back appears to be full of fuel except Sutil strangely, and again Brawn are fast enough to go heavier than most so unless it rains (which it could well do) it could be a rather boring race up front.

Popcorned1

If it does rain, and I hope it does. We'll see the likes of Massa, Hamilton, etc ... right up there.

Nicholas-c
If it does rain, and I hope it does. We'll see the likes of Massa, Hamilton, etc ... right up there.

I dunno... last season (or one before) vettel or someone like that was in the lead after saftey in the rain

idioot
I dunno... last season (or one before) vettel or someone like that was in the lead after saftey in the rain

Yes, he also said in the press conference he is hoping for rain tomorrow as well.

Guess he like it wet :p

+Frank B.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know none of this year's cars has been tested under extreme wet conditions.

Tomorrow's race will be very interesting...

Subject Delta
I watch the BBC pre-Malaysia show last night and to be honest, if Hamilton was misguided then OK. But he knew what he was saying and he knew he was lying. So IMO he's just as bad as the Dave Ryan. I did enjoy the quote "I'm not a liar" that was on BBC for a while, made me chuckle.

As for what side of the grass I lie on. I've been a Barrichello fan for a long long time, however when I followed f1 religiously he was with Ferrari so that is whom I cheer (unless it's like last weekend of course :p )

Of course he knew what he was doing, but what the anti-McLaren bunch seem to fail to recognise is what a hopeless position Ryan put Lewis in, usually a driver is always required to obey the wishes of their team, even if it is against their better judgement. For me, Lewis is just as much a victim in this as Trulli, because what the team have asked him to do has seriously dented his reputation

What the hell were McClaren doing to those tyres in practice. - looked dodgy.

You would think with all thats gone on they would be trying to keep a low profile!

In general the McLaren has been known to be a little harder on its tyres than some of the other cars, and that coupled with an car that lacks grip and isn't well balanced usually leads to serious tyre wear. Unless it rains tomorrow the silver team are going to be lucky to score anything

I tell you what, I think the FIA needs a re-think. This technical rule book shenanigans is stupid.

It's easy. For F1 to be great again go back to basics....

Rule 1. Engine must be 2.4L normally aspirated. Other than that do what you want.

Rule 2. Car must be no more than n length, n height, n width, and all teams use the same tyres.

Rule 3. Car must be pretty.

Race on

1: The engines are naturally aspirated. The KERS system delivers a power boost, it is not the same as a turbo

2: There are already limits on the length, width, and height of the cars, and the teams do already use the same tyres

3: If how the cars look is more important to you than the on track action, then I think you're watching the wrong sport :p

Pos. Driver	   Team				Car weight (kg)
 1.  Button	   Brawn-Mercedes		 660
 2.  Trulli	   Toyota				 656.5
 3.  Vettel	   Red Bull-Renault	   647
 4.  Barrichello  Brawn-Mercedes		 664.5
 5.  Glock		Toyota				 656.5
 6.  Rosberg	  Williams-Toyota		656
 7.  Webber	   Red Bull-Renault	   656
 8.  Kubica	   BMW-Sauber			 663
 9.  Raikkonen	Ferrari				662.5
10.  Alonso	   Renault				680.5
11.  Heidfeld	 BMW-Sauber			 692
12.  Nakajima	 Williams-Toyota		683.4
13.  Hamilton	 McLaren-Mercedes	   688
14.  Kovalainen   McLaren-Mercedes	   688.9
15.  Bourdais	 Toro Rosso-Ferrari	 670.5
16.  Massa		Ferrari				689.5
17.  Piquet	   Renault				681.9
18.  Fisichella   Force India-Mercedes   680.5
19.  Sutil		Force India-Mercedes   655.5
20.  Buemi		Toro Rosso-Ferrari	 686.5

Everyone 10th back appears to be full of fuel except Sutil strangely, and again Brawn are fast enough to go heavier than most so unless it rains (which it could well do) it could be a rather boring race up front.

Fascinating. The consensus was that Raikkonen was probably quiet a lot heavier, but it really does appear Ferrari where just flat struggling for pace, as 2.5 kilos of fuel means that he is only 1 lap heavier than Button, yet he was significantly behind him in terms of outright pace. It appears that fuel corrected, Ferrari are probably at least 6 tenths off the Brawn pace, which is a lot to make up as the season progresses.

Both McLaren and Ferrari are paying the prices for their title pushes last year, and despite being a McLaren fan, I have to admit it is really nice to see such a change in form.

Mike

You mean Massa who spun 5 times during the rain at Silverstone? :p

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know none of this year's cars has been tested under extreme wet conditions.

Tomorrow's race will be very interesting...

Wet conditions? Yes, extreme wet? No. Not only would it be interesting to see how they cope with reduced downforce (so less grip) than last year but what happens with slicks and a wet track. Correct me if I'm wrong but the grooved tyres would cope better on a wet track as there was a (small) channel for water to go to but with slicks there are no channels so a higher chance of aquaplaning off.

Both McLaren and Ferrari are paying the prices for their title pushes last year, and despite being a McLaren fan, I have to admit it is really nice to see such a change in form.

Agreed it is a nice change but it's taking some getting used to. As a McLaren fan too I'm still seeing what Ferrari are doing in comparison as opposed to the teams around McLaren :p

Quick edit as I missed part of Frank's post, the McLaren cars aren't suffering from poor balance as both drivers say the car is fine to drive, it just doesn't have the grip levels of the other cars in the corners. If it was a balance issue, it would be something "fixable" during practice etc which it clearly isn't.

Subject Delta
Quick edit as I missed part of Frank's post, the McLaren cars aren't suffering from poor balance as both drivers say the car is fine to drive, it just doesn't have the grip levels of the other cars in the corners. If it was a balance issue, it would be something "fixable" during practice etc which it clearly isn't.

Dunno, it looked to me like Lewis was a bit twitchy on the rear, maybe it's just his driving style. Still, they aren't where they wanted to be and considering just how much they need to make up, I would be surprised if they mount a sustained title challenge this season. With Ferrari, they need to both drop the cocksure arrogance that cost Massa so dearly, and REALLY improve their reliability if they are to get anywhere this season.

The fact that Raikkonen had to switch his KERS off (and only for qualifying at that) will be a worry during the race, and maybe their lack of speed is partially due to losing the advantage the system may have been giving them

tuckeratlarge
1: The engines are naturally aspirated. The KERS system delivers a power boost, it is not the same as a turbo

2: There are already limits on the length, width, and height of the cars, and the teams do already use the same tyres

3: If how the cars look is more important to you than the on track action, then I think you're watching the wrong sport :p

OK so you missed the point entirely.

1. I never mentioned turbo's or KERS. What I was inferring was free reign on specs within the 2.4L limit. Oval pistons, ceramics, exotic ignition systems etc.

2. Again missed the point. There are so many regs on every part of the car nowadays. Just height, width and length be regulated. Everyone using the same tyres is just a way of keeping things reasonably level.

3. Again missing the point, I was being sarcastic, but then again none of those stupid flaps and flanges and barge boards which make a car ugly. Make it sleek and sexy.

Subject Delta
OK so you missed the point entirely.

1. I never mentioned turbo's or KERS. What I was inferring was free reign on specs within the 2.4L limit. Oval pistons, ceramics, exotic ignition systems etc.

2. Again missed the point. There are so many regs on every part of the car nowadays. Just height, width and length be regulated. Everyone using the same tyres is just a way of keeping things reasonably level.

3. Again missing the point, I was being sarcastic, but then again none of those stupid flaps and flanges and barge boards which make a car ugly. Make it sleek and sexy.

Again, I think you seem to be missing the point on this entirely, but I shall respond again

1: In the midst of a global recession, teams will welcome every chance to save money, and allowing free and unrestricted engine development would induce massive cost, and the overall benifit to the quality of the on track action would be pretty small given the cost induction, which is why the engine freeze makes total sense at the moment. I can see your argument and I would usually agree, but with the economic climate we are in at the moment it just makes sense.

2: What difference does that make. With unrestricted aero development, we would see the re-appearance of all of those stupid upper-surface aerodynamic flipups, which would have the effect of making the cars the total opposite to the "sexy" effect you seem to think is needed for some reason, therefore your points 2 and 3 kind of clash with each other. The whole point of Formula 1 is that is meant to be an extreme engineering challenge, if the scope that the teams work in was widened to the extent you are suggesting, it would just take away the challenge, it would also make the cars generate ridiculous amounts of grip and they would be far too easy to drive. Not only that, it would become far harder to overtake (again)

3: I still fail to see the relevance of what you are suggesting, racing cars are built for performance not looks. If you want to see something "sleek and sexy" go to a showroom.

MightyJordan

Here we go, about to start!!! :)

Wow, Kovalainen's out already!

And Kubica. :o

MightyJordan

Oh no, it's been red-flagged. :(

Martyn

I doubt the race will be re-started, which means the current top 8 drivers will receive half points being as 75% of the race has not been completed.

1 Great Britain J Button Brawn

2 Germany T Glock Toyota

3 Germany N Heidfeld BMW Sauber

4 Italy J Trulli Toyota

5 Brazil R Barrichello Brawn

6 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren

7 Germany N Rosberg Williams

8 Australia M Webber Red Bull

san.W10

damn. kimi in 14th :|

lewis is lucky :D

Half points will be awarded to the top eight if the race can not be restarted.
his procedure is very similar to a new race start. However, rain continues to fall heavily and a restart appears to be some time away, if it is possible at all.

source: autosport

another race which ferrari threw away, from Q1 itself :|

GrimReeper

damn I missed most of the race. I forgot it was so soon. Did they stop because of the rain?

rob.derosa
damn I missed most of the race. I forgot it was so soon. Did they stop because of the rain?

Race abandoned after 1 hour and 57 seconds, I think

MightyJordan

Yeah, it got really heavy, then someone went off, so they deployed the safety car, then a lot more drivers went off, so they red-flagged it. It's been stopped for over 45 minutes now. I don't think they're gonna restart it.

Just seen the message from race control. They're not restarting the race.

GrimReeper

Wow, it's over and won't be restarted. I wasn't expecting this result.

Unimatrix Xero

race over Button 1st with 5 points!!

san.W10

edited :D

Race director Charlie Whiting has called an end to the 2009 Malaysian Grand Prix.

Jenson Button takes his second win of the season for Brawn GP and extends his lead in the world championship.

Nick Heidfeld finishes second - Timo Glock has taken place

autosport

2nc2lg6.png

http://www.formula1.com/services/live_timi...ive_timing.html