F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

I stopped watching after lewis retired and went out. Tell you the truth I thought at times it was boring, it's only those slight knocks, pits stops and retirement that make it more enjoyable. Although I did hear the end on the radio with button and webber.

I stopped watching after lewis retired and went out. Tell you the truth I thought at times it was boring, it's only those slight knocks, pits stops and retirement that make it more enjoyable. Although I did hear the end on the radio with button and webber.

Yeah it was good at the end, a great end to the end of the season! Only 19 Weeks to go until the next race.

Gutted about Hamilton retiring but pleased that McLaren still got third place. Largely boring race apart from the flourish at the end, but the important thing is that the circuit has far more overtaking potential than most of the other new circuits

Another good drive by Kobayashi, especially getting Button to out break himself and overshoot the corner. :laugh:

Looking forward to the 2010 season with all the new teams.

Hah yeah that was class :rofl: Can't wait for the new season. 19 weeks though, it's a long time :p

Really can't wait till next season think it will be VERY interesting.

Red Bull will be very strong and I think Ferrari will make a strong comeback after a dismal season, especially with Alonso on board. Mclaren, Brawn and Toyota all look like they will be strong.

Can't wait.

Williams signs Barrichello, Hulkenberg

Williams has confirmed that Rubens Barrichello and Nico Hulkenberg will be its two drivers next season, as AUTOSPORT predicted.

The signing of the duo means the team will have an all-new pairing for 2010, as it also makes the switch from Toyota to Cosworth power.

Barrichello arrives at the team after a strong season for Brawn GP, where he fought team mate Jenson Button for the championship - taking two victories on the way.

AUTOSPORT revealed ahead of the Japanese Grand Prix that Barrichello was closing in on a deal to join Williams for 2010 – although a contract is only believed to have been finalised in the last few weeks.

Hulkenberg has been signed up on the back of an impressive season in GP2, where he took the championship in dominant fashion. The German has been Williams's test driver since 2008.

Williams believes that the mixture of experience and youth will provide the kind of combination it needs to make the push back to the front of the grid. The team is chasing its first victory in Formula 1 since the end of the 2004 season.

Team principal Frank Williams said: "Rubens needs no introduction. He is not only the most experienced driver in Formula 1, but a passionate and talented driver who fought hard for the drivers' championship this year.

"Nico Hulkenberg won the GP2 Championship this season as a rookie and has previously won the F3 Euro Eeries, Formula Masters, A1 GP and Formula BMW Germany."

The future of Williams' 2009 drivers has yet to be confirmed. Nico Rosberg is understood to have signed a deal with Mercedes-Benz to race for Brawn GP next year – but this will not be announced until the German car manufacturer's future F1 plans have been settled.

Kazuki Nakajima has a troubled campaign with Williams, failing to score a single point all year, and he is not expected to find a berth elsewhere despite being part of Toyota's young driver programme.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79974

Kimi Interview

http://www.ts.fi/f1/uutiset/85232.html

- He shaked hands with everyone in the garage because there isn't reason to celebrate.

- First year went very good, in second they had a chance to repeat success and in the third there was no chance.

- Heikki Kulta is saying that Ferrari gives up on equal treatment of both drivers. They tried that with Massa and Kimi but it didnt work. They needed someone like Schumacher to lead the team and they went for Alonso.

- Kimi confirms that the most of money comes from Santander for Alosno's move

- With McLaren there is even more paper work than with Ferrari.

- In the end, Heikki Kulta asks him: "Is this your last race in F1" and he repeats: "I don't know."

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?show...t&p=3972820

He's just not a team player!

Define "team player". Being a significantly worse driver than your team mate so you sit back while he's winning?

You'd be hard pressed to find any good drivers who are also "team players".

Kimi may not be as much of a team player as Kovalinen, but I imagine he will score a lot more points. With Ferrari they have 2 quality drivers, and I personally feel Kovalinen's poor race performances ultimately endes up costing McLaren a chance of the constructor's title in 2008.

Personally I would prefer to see Hamilton and Rosberg, but I still imagine Raikkonen will do more than Kovalinen.

why do you guys think kimi is not a team player?

btw, a big rumor - toyota may pull out this year.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/154360/1/toyo...h_raw_deal.html

If, as is being increasingly rumoured, Toyota does elect to walk away from F1 when a decision about its future is taken later this month, it would leave Kamui Kobayashi facing quite literally a 'raw' deal indeed.

It had been anticipated that a final resolution would be reached when the Japanese manufacturer's executive board holds its annual end-of-year meeting in Tokyo on 15 November to approve – or decline – the budget for 2010, but authoritative German magazine Auto Motor und Sport has now revealed that there will be a separate announcement a week earlier, on 8 November, concerning the company's Cologne-based F1 operation.

Toyota is the world's largest car-maker, but in the wake of the global credit crunch it revealed its first annual loss in some seven decades – and insiders have been pessimistic for some time about the likelihood of the F1 project continuing into a tenth consecutive campaign.

“[Japanese] auto and auto-part makers are questioning what they can gain now by spending hundreds of millions of yen in taking part in F1,” explained Tatsuya Mizuno, a motoring analyst at the Mizuno Credit Advisory.

Toyota F1 currently has no drivers signed for 2010 – with 2009 pairing Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock both tipped to depart the fray, to newcomer Lotus and Renault respectively – but Kobayashi, who has impressed mightily on his two appearances in the top flight so far in Brazil and Abu Dhabi, has been widely touted as all-but a shoe-in to replace one of them, with overtures being made to former world champion and Ferrari refugee Kimi Raikkonen to fill the other cockpit.

The reigning GP2 Asia Series Champion – who battled energetically with new world champion Jenson Button both at Interlagos and around the all-new Yas Marina street circuit, en route to sixth spot at the chequered flag in the UAE – has confessed that he has 'no budget' to fall back upon should no drive be forthcoming for 2010.

“I would probably go back to Japan to maybe work with my father in his sushi restaurant,” the 23-year-old is quoted as having said by motorsport.com. “It was like that two months ago.”

Bad news for Toyota, conversely, would likely represent a much brighter prospect for Qadbak Sauber, which is waiting on a 13th F1 slot to become available following parent company BMW's withdrawal.

if its true, good news for sauber :p

Toyota set to announce it is leaving F1

Toyota is expected to announced later today that it is withdrawing from Formula 1 with immediate effect, according to reports in the Japanese press, following a decision by the company's board of directors on Tuesday in Japan.

The official announcement is expected to be made on Wednesday afternoon Japan time, with representatives of the Toyota Motor Company reportly planning to hold a press conference to explain its decision.

The decision comes after months of speculation about the future of the team, a year after its Japanese rival Honda has withdrawn from F1 and just days following Bridgestone's announcement that it will end its F1 involvement after next season.

The Cologne-based Toyota team joined F1 at the start of the 2002 season, taking part in 139 grands prix and - albeit having one of the largest team budgets in the sport - failed to take a race win.

Suggestions the car maker will withdraw from F1 has surfaced throughout the year, but were repeatedly denied by company officials. Moreover, the team signed the new Concorde Agreement just recently, committing to the sport until the 2012 season.

Toyota Motor Corp is the largest car maker in the world, but the Japanese giant is forecasting an operating loss of over 8 billion USD.

Its decision to withdraw from grand prix racing paves the way for the the new owners of the BMW Sauber team to enter Formula 1 next year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80002

I hope Kobayashi gets a seat for next season.

Me too. He looked pretty impressive in his races. Obviously made a couple of rookie mistakes, but Sebastien Vettel was like that in his rookie season.

Toyota pulls out of Formula 1

Toyota has announced that it is to pull out of Formula 1 with immediate effect.The Japanese car company revealed its surprise decision in a news conference in Tokyo today following an earlier board meeting. It said the current economic situation had prompted its departure.

"Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announces it plans to withdraw from the FIA Formula 1 world championship at the end of the 2009 season," said a Toyota statement.

"TMC, which had viewed its participation in F1 as contributing to the prosperity of automotive culture, remained dedicated to competing at the pinnacle of motor sports even in the face of the abrupt economic changes that started last year.

"However, when considering TMC's motorsports actitives next year and beyond from a comprehensive mid-term viewpoint reflecting the current severe economic realities, TMC decided to withdraw from F1"

More on Autosport.com

Last year, Honda. This year, BMW and Toyota and next year Bridgestone.

If all the big car manufacturers leaves Formula 1, who is going to be next? Renault? Mercedes?

Will there be even a Formula 1 championship beyond 2010?

I don't know what Jean Todt is going to salvage from it but the outlook for F1 is bleak.

I am saddened to see Toyota leave: Trully is one of my favorite drivers and they finally had a car that could compete with the others.

As I stated before, not a massive loss

Seriously, you must be joking right?

The fact that they didn`t do as well as expected is not the issue, this is another major manufacturer (will they will still supply engines?) pulling out of what is the supposed pinacle of motorsport. What with BMW pulling out, Bridgestone anouncing that their jumping ship and who knows what else around the corner!

Soon we`ll have a grid made up of a couple of engine makers, no major manufacturer teams bar Ferrari driving round without tyres :p

The Japenese companies seem to have really lost interest in F1 and that can not be a good thing for the sport as a whole, while Toyota where still there the interest and possible exposure/sponsership that a couple of good results could have had would have done the sport no end of good.

Formula 1 seems to be in a downward spiral at the moment and i can`t see the likes of Manor or Team US F1 changing things much.

Oh BTW Renault may also be pulling out....Renault possibly going

Edited by Riggers

No, I am not, in my opinion Toyota achieved nothing worthy of note. They where a shining example of how to waste money through mismanagement, crap drivers, and spending in the wrong place. If anyone starting in the sport wanted an example of how not to run a team, Toyota would be that example.

The biggest car company in the world, with an annual budget of $400 million or so (before the FIA cutbacks began), the fact that they don't have a single race win to show for something like $2.5 billion of investment in F1 is just laughable.