The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

I installed the 2180 build two hours before it published by Microsoft.

i'm getting this title (in the "About windows")

Build 2600.xpsp_xpsp2_rtm.040803-2158: Service Pack 2

What should be written there?

-------------------------

My first Post :)

Hello Neowin!

Exactly that (Y)

i hate to ask a question like this, but, if i install the full update from microsoft will i still get the tablet pc improvements or do i have to wait for the automatic update install?

i hate to ask a question like this, but, if i install the full update from microsoft will i still get the tablet pc improvements or do i have to wait for the automatic update install?

you'll get the improvements.

Now when u use the Windows Update site to update and install fixes, do u still need to install the SP2 ? even when you already installed some pre-SP2 fixes and patches ?

anyone know how to get the new security center to recognize symantec antiV?

it's telling me "Symantec AntiVirus reports that it is installed, but its status is unknown."

:(

I dont know if this has been asked. Sorry if it has. But I just updated to sp2, and I've patched uxtheme.dll. Ive tried several different methods but none seem to do the trick.

See the problem is now that I patched it, everything is skinned except for the taskbar. And I have version 2180 :(

Im about to pull my hair out! Not to mention windows looks ugly being only half skinned :cry:

If anyone has an idea about what I should do it would be greatly appreciated :)

I got it from the link on the front page. I tried using replacer, and manually renaming and copying uxtheme to ServicePackFiles\i386 and System32\dllcache\ also system32. I did it in safe mode and while in normal mode with explorer killed. I just cant figure it out. Never had a problem like this while editing files :blink:

I m confused that can slipstreaming provide a problem in the future when installing any update like IE Cumulative patches, just because I have installed a Slipstreamed Windows installation not the regular way of installaing XP first then SP2

I want to slipstream because I think if I do that then the folder of about 400 MB names servicepackfiles in my C:Windows folder will not be made as it is made when SP2 in installed seperately but rite now I have Windows Installation with SP2 integrated, is it true, will slipstreaming not make this folder in c:windows

After installing windows from this slipstreamed CD I will further use nlite to remove more components

Also the bin file given in the guide is only 2 KB (2,048 bytes) is it true, m i getting the right file size, also nero doesn't recognices the .bin files when I browse , it looks for img files, will selecting .bin files as given in the guide pose any problem

I read somewhere that the cause of the taskbar bug is putting the uxtheme in C:\Windows as well as C:\Windows\system32

I'd take it out of dllcache too. Just use replacer so you dont have to mess around in safe mode and make sure its only in system32.

NetRyder: Thanks for the link, I'll try it out after work tonight. :)

Hey,

I have heard people saying that Windows SP2 is out, and all u need to do is go to the Windows Update Site and download it. But it ent there :huh: So is it out? or not?

Now when u use the Windows Update site to update and install fixes, do u still need to install the SP2 ? even when you already installed some pre-SP2 fixes and patches ?

in short yes. Windows Service Packs tend to have alot more fixes they were not available on Windows Update.

When we install SP2 on our PC's is there any to avoid the security centre from popping up everytime the pc boots up or a user logs on?

disable the Service in Control Pannel.

I get - Biosinfo.inf is missing or corrupt error message when upgrading to SP2.

I have installed SP2 RTM from the official MS link over WinXP Pro, the installation finished successfully, but when I was asked for rebooting, the computer didn't load Windows - saying: "Biosinfo.inf is missing or corrupt".

I can't start in safe mode too

Please help me, thanks

I read somewhere that the cause of the taskbar bug is putting the uxtheme in C:\Windows as well as C:\Windows\system32

I'd take it out of dllcache too. Just use replacer so you dont have to mess around in safe mode and make sure its only in system32.

NetRyder: Thanks for the link, I'll try it out after work tonight. :)

You sir are a god! I was reading on of the threads here and it said to put it in windows. I didnt know why because Ive never done that before. But thought I needed to with sp2, well I guess not. If anyone else is having the taskbar not being skinned just kill explorer and delete uxtheme out of C:/windows

:woot: