The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

I once read somewhere (can't recall where) that SP2 would enable multiple remote desktop sessions.

I run Windows XP Pro SP2 french version and I haven't been able to do this.

anyone knows if this is possible ?

and if it is, how do I do it ?

thx

I once read somewhere (can't recall where) that SP2 would enable multiple remote desktop sessions.

I run Windows XP Pro SP2 french version and I haven't been able to do this.

anyone knows if this is possible ?

and if it is, how do I do it ?

thx

It did do that, starting with one of the early beta builds. It involved making a group policy change I think (I did it succesfully but I don't remember how), but from what I understand, that capability was taken out of later builds including the final. Never tried though.

Has any1 encountered this problem:

After the installation of SP2, my system is stuck on the black BOOT screen... no HDD activity..

yes - on my mother's machine. It stuck for over 2 hours. I reformatted and then installed SP2, same thing.

It will not install on her machine (a P4, 2.8 Prescott with an Asus Mobo and 1.0GB DDR Ram).

I removed it from my PC where it has caused my LAN to sometimes not work (unable to "generate an IP address"), caused the sound on my HDTV card to crackle - unwatchable. I also lost my USB for awhile. Mine was also a clean install with SP2.

My system is P4, 3.2GHz Northwood, Gigabyte 8KNXP mobo with 2 GB DDR ram

However on my Dell laptop it works perfectly - zero problems

Since uninstalling it, the problems on the PC have all vanished.

Too many problems for my liking - needs to be sorted before I will use it on my PC again

two questions relating to SP2

a) it won't install when i go to the windows update page....any ideas? norton is off when i try, no viruses in a long time, no spyware, anything i'm missin that would cause the message "The following updates were not installed"

b) along the same line, any directx update such as the security update or directx 9.0c won't install either. i've tried turning on automatic updates to see if that would somehow in some twisted way install them but nope. no avail.

please help

two questions relating to SP2

a) it won't install when i go to the windows update page....any ideas? norton is off when i try, no viruses in a long time, no spyware, anything i'm missin that would cause the message "The following updates were not installed"

b) along the same line, any directx update such as the security update or directx 9.0c won't install either. i've tried turning on automatic updates to see if that would somehow in some twisted way install them but nope. no avail.

please help

By chance do you have any modified sysfiles? ie: Bootscreen...? If so, then this is your problem with Windows Update v5 not installing SP2...Under Installation History, look at the actual 'error number' that it gives you...

I had modded sysfiles from the Aqua Communities (love the work that our very talented modders do, StefanKa & Flyakite :) ), however I too kept getting the dreaded message that you are reporting...

This may be of help...also I would recommend to also visit the MS NewsGroups, if this does not assist you...

Hmm my link posted to another Forum will not show...

SP2 Will Not Install

Edited by gahbmwM5

Error Code: 80070426

Thats the error code I get. I'm looking through the newsgroups and FAQ to find an answer. I just did a fresh install less than three months ago and i haven't modded anything since the fresh install. Hmm, hope the answer is out there

Error Code: 80070426

Thats the error code I get. I'm looking through the newsgroups and FAQ to find an answer. I just did a fresh install less than three months ago and i haven't modded anything since the fresh install. Hmm, hope the answer is out there

Hmmm, my Error Code: 8007f0cc related directly to a modded 'Boot screen' that I had (ntoskrnl.exe)...so rather then trying to mod/edit this, I just did a reformat, and then when going to WUv5, it first picked up 16-Priority Patches...(no mention of SP2-yet)

After installing these 16 patches, and running WUv5 again, it did pick up the Express Version of SP2 (92 MB) for my WinXP Home laptop: And this Error Code was posted on the MS NewsGroups--->WindowsUpdate- NewsGroup

Since you just did a Fresh install fairly recently and 'have not' modded any files, then I would recommend to use the MS Online Assistance Support Feature...

Even if you used up your 2 Alotted Reports, MS will not charge you because this is an issue related to the new WindowsUpdate v5 feature...I did report my case/issue to them, and they did get back to me in one business day, but I had already solved my issue. It couldn't hurt, however the problem is that because SP2 is so new, they really don't have all MS KBA DataBase updated (yet) to deal with these new SP2-related Error Codes...

I wish you success...

It did do that, starting with one of the early beta builds. It involved making a group policy change I think (I did it succesfully but I don't remember how), but from what I understand, that capability was taken out of later builds including the final. Never tried though.

thanks for responding :-)

do you know where I can find more info about this issue ?

I was hoping the final release would do multiple sessions as I'd heard betas could.

This is pretty annoying :-/

does anyone know a good solution comparable to rdesktop which enables multiples sessions ?

thx

The same way I got mine to start? I havn't seen any problems caused by XPSP2 with P2P, I use bitTorrent and eMule, no problem.

Maybe you should ask a more specific question and someone will help with advice.

Is it possible to disable "windows security alerts" so it wont nag the heck out of me everytime i reboot windows with a pop up saying I have stuff "OFF" in the Security Center?

Thanks

post-11-1094153394.jpg

Hmm...

Start -->Run--Type "Services.msc"

Disable the service called "Automatic updates"

If u r p.i.s.s.e.d with the Security Center....

Start -->Run--Type "Services.msc"

Disable the service called "Security Center"

Hope this helps... :)

question: just formated and installed my slipstreamd version of xp . now i want to install my d-link bluetooth dongle.i insert the driver cd and everything works until the setup asks me to plug the usb dongle in.as soon as i do that xp installs the native drivers and adds its own bluetooth settigns so the dongle is not usable by the software that came with it,just says bluetooth device not found cause the other software is already using it .tried uninstalling the xp drivers but no use. any ideas? :angry:

ps this wasn't an issue when i updates sp2 just with the fresh install of the slipstream i get this

The same way I got mine to start? I havn't seen any problems caused by XPSP2 with P2P, I use bitTorrent and eMule, no problem.

Maybe you should ask a more specific question and someone will help with advice.

Yeah guess it is a tad bit vague :D

Another strange little Anomaly has just occurred. The new "Security Center" was a Start-Up Program (Default). The little Security Center Icon Appeared in the Lower Right-hand Corner with the rest of the Start-Up Programs. All of a sudden -> BOOM - it's GONE. It doesn't appear at all anymore - even after rebooting a number of times. I can't think of anything that I might have done to trigger this. If I really want to Pull Up "Security Center" - the only way to do it is to Launch it from the Control Panel. Once Launched it runs fine & tells me that Windows Updates & the MS Wanna-be Firewall is up & Running. Man Microsoft this is really Flaky!!!

Anyone else having this "Anomaly"?

:wacko:

question: just formated and installed my slipstreamd version of xp . now i want to install my d-link bluetooth dongle.i insert the driver cd and everything works until the setup asks me to plug the usb dongle in.as soon as i do that xp installs the native drivers and adds its own bluetooth settigns so the dongle is not usable by the software that came with it,just says bluetooth device not found cause the other software is already using it .tried uninstalling the xp drivers but no use. any ideas? :angry:

ps this wasn't an issue when i updates sp2 just with the fresh install of the slipstream i get this

Look here

Cannot install a Bluetooth device after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

if not that one try these (I'm sure I posted this info before somewhere in this thread)

http://support.microsoft.com/search/defaul...umDays=&InCC=on

I have one question:

It's true, after installing SP2, the Visual Styling is Changed, I mean, the Windows Bars and The Taskbar is more brilliant, like the MCE 2005 :huh:

Hi I am new to the board looks like a lot of good info.

I have installed sp2 on 4 systems and have problems on all most easy fixes. Mostly I backed up first next tried to install sp2 on all their where a few problems 1 would not start even in safe mode. So I did a fresh install of windows then installed sp2 then restored the backed up info, all looked great :D

But when I tried to use the shortcut buttons on my laptop (emachines 6807) they did not work, then found a few other things not working mostly minor. Did some research and found out that my Bios needed updating, so I did this (updated to 6811 bios). All looked great again :D

But now the pci slot on the laptop does not work it has a resouce conflict that I can not fix (I have tried). So uninstalled sp2 and all if fine.

Any one know how to fix this? I would like to have sp2 installed. If for no other reason I now have no updates to my system and can not get the auto updates any more.

Curiosity Question: (havnt' checked through all 95 pages of this)

I have an IBM Laptop imaged with a University restore image that doesn't play well with the new SP2.

During installation, it Blue Screen Of Death'd on me three times before successfully starting windows.

Once installed it randomly will give a BSOD during loading of my desktop upon startup, and restart my computer.

If it makes it through without BSOD'ing, it BDOD's on me during shutdown, and restarts my computer.

I thought I had it narrowed down to the Corporate Edition of Symantec Anti-virus, but would that cause the almost random restarts?

BTW, my University has provided a free SP2 update for Symantec, and that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Or, am I stuck and unable to upgrade? :(