The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

hi guyz,well i have search the neowin forum to find the post where it was shown how to fix that sp2 TCP connection limits...i didnt find it..can any'1 help me plz?

Nevermind guyz,just found it,it was right under my nose all that time!,guess its really time to sleep now...

i||uSi0n^

Hey can yea help me out with that link ?Many thanks

Kinda funny,i saw it once and then i cant find it again :rolleyes:

Not sure why (yet), but SP2 doesn't want to work correctly on my machine..

Keep getting a BSOD:

SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

0x00000071

Can't get into Safe Mode, so I'm reinstalling XP as I type this.. :pinch:

Make sure you backup important files before you install this SP!!

I would just like to say that i installed it last night and its been working fine since. Had to download an update to nero 6 but other than that works fine. I like the new security center, and wifi stuff.

hmmm.... anyone know if the final package for single computer will have the EXACT same build has the RTM (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe)????

cause I've notice that there's an "rtm" tag everywere when you install the RTM version... will that matter if the single computer SP2 doesn't show that?? will they be considered the same build??

thanks for answers in advance :p ;)

1st class post lebobs you do us neowinners proud :D

It could only be done because of the Hard Work of the Neowin News Collection/Posting Teams...

And kids, the front page now has all the news from my two weeks of holiday on it too! :)

It could only be done because of the Hard Work of the Neowin News Collection/Posting Teams...

And kids, the front page now has all the news from my two weeks of holiday on it too! :)

Yeah Thanks a lot Leebobs for updating us with ur gr8 front article, if the Mods are looking for a new mod they should choose you lol. :D

I installed SP2 on my Toshiba notebook without a hitch. Everything is runing smoothly, so I was quite happy. Then last night I installed it on my friend's laptop, and everything went fine, except his running programmes don't show up in the taskbar anymore. Everything else is there - the quick launch icons, the keyboard language indicator, but not the running programmes. I can jump between the programmes with ALT+TAB, but still nothing in the taskbar... So, I am a bit puzzled here... I played with different settings in the taskbar menu, but to no effect. There were no skinning mods done to this laptop before... Any suggestion will be highly appreciated!

Cheers!

I installed SP2 on my Toshiba notebook without a hitch. Everything is runing smoothly, so I was quite happy. Then last night I installed it on my friend's laptop, and everything went fine, except his running programmes don't show up in the taskbar anymore. Everything else is there - the quick launch icons, the keyboard language indicator, but not the running programmes. I can jump between the programmes with ALT+TAB, but still nothing in the taskbar... So, I am a bit puzzled here... I played with different settings in the taskbar menu, but to no effect. There were no skinning mods done to this laptop before... Any suggestion will be highly appreciated!

Cheers!

Do you mean the actual Taskbar Buttons? Try this tool which should fix it

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

dont like sp2 at all

i think this thing is still 3 or 4 months away from being final . Its the little things like when i connect to the internet i dont always get a notification balloon to tell me what the connection is and what speed the connection is . Subsequent connections r okay until i reboot and connect to the internet again . The tcp/ip limit has cut the number of servers i get in a game eg battlefield1942 use to get 10000 + servers easily now only 2000 to 3000 show up . The ms security centre is a joke and should have been made an optional install for people who know what antivirus is and what a firewall is . SP2 has so far caused 4 prog and 3 games to crash on my system . They are listed under the ms article as programs that might be effected eg for me nero 5.5.6 and ut2003 have crashed including bfvietnam and before sp2 these progs never crashed at all in over a year .

So no im not impressed and as for people who think it runs fine have u actually tested every single prog on your pc as i gaurentee most of us will at least have 1 prog thats been fubarred due to sp2 . Especially AOL9 speaking to a m8 of mine works at AOL cusotmer service centre and the number of calls they take during an average week has doubled bcause of sp2 . So for now ive uninstalled until patches come out for sp2

Has any1 encountered this problem:

After the installation of SP2, my system is stuck on the black BOOT screen... no HDD activity..

Are you using an Asus mobo? Saw the exact same prob with an Asus P4800, fixed with a BIOS flash to latest version.

(If that's not your prob, sorry, might help others though)

Do you mean the actual Taskbar Buttons? Try this tool which should fix it

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

kwapster: Many thanks indeed for the link!!! What was missing were the programmes from showing up in the taskbar. I.e. whn you open up a programme, it should be visible next to the quick launch icons (if you have them enabled). In my friend's case one could not see any programmes at all. He could have 3 windows open - email, Word and IE, for example, but should they were minimised you wouldn't even know they were open unless you did ALT+TAB. It was strange to say the least. However, the link you suggested did the trick. I think my life has just been spared... :D

Has any1 encountered this problem:

After the installation of SP2, my system is stuck on the black BOOT screen... no HDD activity..

Yes! I had to reformat, tried repairing first but it failed :( I was using an ASUS Mobo at the time :blink:

Edited by McGazza

dont like sp2 at all

i think this thing is still 3 or 4 months away from being final . Its the little things like when i connect to the internet i dont always get a notification balloon to tell me what the connection is and what speed the connection is . Subsequent connections r okay until i reboot and connect to the internet again . The tcp/ip limit has cut the number of servers i get in a game eg battlefield1942 use to get 10000 + servers easily now only 2000 to 3000 show up . The ms security centre is a joke and should have been made an optional install for people who know what antivirus is and what a firewall is . SP2 has so far caused 4 prog and 3 games to crash on my system . They are listed under the ms article as programs that might be effected eg for me nero 5.5.6 and ut2003 have crashed including bfvietnam and before sp2 these progs never crashed at all in over a year .

So no im not impressed and as for people who think it runs fine have u actually tested every single prog on your pc as i gaurentee most of us will at least have 1 prog thats been fubarred due to sp2 . Especially AOL9 speaking to a m8 of mine works at AOL cusotmer service centre and the number of calls they take during an average week has doubled bcause of sp2 . So for now ive uninstalled until patches come out for sp2

Well your guarantee has expired here :) ive had no problems and all programs have work fine! Too bad it didnt for you :) However I do agree on your point about the security centre, i think it was designed for n00bs that didnt know what a firewall/antivirus was, it doesnt matter though i mean with the annoying pop ups but u cud still turn em off i guess, anyway i think SP2 is good as the poll on the front page indicates quite clearly :)

I personally think that the security center is a bit of a Window to Microsofts future thinking! Its true that it is mainly aimed at those who know nothing at computer security, but it is they who spread huge numbers of viruses! If it wasn't for large number of computers used as Drones by hackers... many DDoS attacks just wouldn't happen.

The idea behind the SC was to make the average users aware of their computer security. In short, if you don't have a decent Firewall & AV, and if you fail to update your computer (not that YOU have to do anything anymore). Then you don't get to moan about Microsoft... ;)

I don't think it goes far enough!!

I would have liked (for example) SC to have included a section for Spyware, a count down to the next system crash would be nice as well :D

Maybe in SP3 we will see a Windows Maintance Center... Where you are told to clear you internet cache, defragment your hard disk and clean your Registry! :whistle:

Longhorn... the self protecting, self maintaining OS :cool:

Leebobs.