The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

Looky what I found - Recent Article on the Web - Dated August 16th:

"Microsoft - at the last minute - has delayed the release of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP - Again. The Redmond software vendor decided to push back the launch by at least nine days. They have discovered that it is not yet ready due to incompatibility with certain applications."

Check it out for yourself: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1636448,00.asp

I knew that they would do this - Its Final - Its OUT - Woops - No its not!!!! :wacko:

They should take the Opportunity to work on Windows Explorer a little more!!!

"Microsoft - at the last minute - has delayed the release of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP - Again. The Redmond software vendor decided to push back the launch by at least nine days. They have discovered that it is not yet ready due to incompatibility with certain applications."

I knew that they would do this - Its Final - Its OUT - Woops - No its not!!!! :wacko:

that just means they're delaying putting it on automatic updates...

They've only pushed it back for XP Pro users, and that was to appease the corporate sector, for whom it's causing the greatest headaches. XP Home users will still get hit with SP2 on the 18th (as long as they have Auto Update turned on)

Hey guys,

I saw something on neowin a few days ago but can't find it again. Its basically some sort of program or hack that enables the BITS and Event Log services whenever you go to windows update and then automatically disables them straight afterward. Anyone know where i can find it??

Thanks

Hey guys,

I saw something on neowin a few days ago but can't find it again. Its basically some sort of program or hack that enables the BITS and Event Log services whenever you go to windows update and then automatically disables them straight afterward. Anyone know where i can find it??

Thanks

Here

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=204400

In the front page I saw the updated SP2 release schedule, I saw that SP2 has a full network installation. What's the difference between this and the regular SP2?

In the front page I saw the updated SP2 release schedule, I saw that SP2 has a full network installation. What's the difference between this and the regular SP2?

Network installation reccomended for updating multiple computers at once, also it may contain files u dont need so thats why the WU download is a lot smaller :)

...anyway i think SP2 is good as the poll on the front page indicates quite clearly :)

And you think that REALLY means anything? ROFLMAO :laugh:

It could have been spammed by M$ employees & those "security centre n00bs" for all you know!

I love how people rush to defend XP SickPack 2 when it's obvious it has caused more problems than any SP before...hell, I'm sitting here running an up-to-date SP1 on 8 machines waiting for XP SP2a...LOL

(BTW, did I mention I haven't had a crash on ANY machine since 2002 when SP1 was released?)

I'd like to read just one MAJOR positive thing about XP SP2 that overwhelms ALL of the PROBLEMS I've been reading, JUST ONE DAMMIT!!! :sleep:

Edited by Zatoichi

Well your guarantee has expired here  :) ive had no problems and all programs  have work fine! Too bad it didnt for you :) However I do agree on your point about the security centre, i think it was designed for n00bs that didnt know what a firewall/antivirus was, it doesnt matter though i mean with the annoying pop ups but u cud still turn em off i guess, anyway i think SP2 is good as the poll on the front page indicates quite clearly :)

i completely disagree with you mate. i had sp2 installed for just little over an hour and it caused me no end of problems. first of all, firefox wouldn't open - the firefox.exe came up in task manager for half a second and then disappeared... smells fishy to me.... the other problems was whenever i started winamp, my playlist was wiped and replaced with one item "Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" - god knows how that one works. i knew it was a big mistake installing the damn thing so soon after 'release'... i'm definitely going to give MS a couple more months to sort out this joke of an update

i completely disagree with you mate. i had sp2 installed for just little over an hour and it caused me no end of problems. first of all, firefox wouldn't open - the firefox.exe came up in task manager for half a second and then disappeared... smells fishy to me.... the other problems was whenever i started winamp, my playlist was wiped and replaced with one item "Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" - god knows how that one works. i knew it was a big mistake installing the damn thing so soon after 'release'... i'm definitely going to give MS a couple more months to sort out this joke of an update

Opinion is an opinon, if u think of it that way then ok :)

Network installation reccomended for updating multiple computers at once, also it may contain files u dont need so thats why the WU download is a lot smaller :)

Thanks man.

Has anyone here noticed SP2 uses more ram than SP1 doing less? (Even after disabling auto updates, Windows Firewall, Security center)

SP2 Reloaded isn't a product. It's a marketing campaign. It'll push the benefits of upgrading to XP with SP2. WMP10 is a planned release to coincide with the campaign, but if you're expecting to see a new version of XP don't hold your breath

I am running the SP2 RTM (Build 2180) - I already found two Bugs - One in "Add/Remove Programs". Sometimes Emptying my Recyle Bin (Open - Empty & Close) Takes Down my ENTIRE DESKTOP & I have to Re-Boot (Annoying). One time the "Windows Security Alerts) Start-Up Program DIDN"T START UP.

I have Reported Both Bugs to Microsoft - but - We HAVE TO STATE THESE THINGS PUBLICLY (Like in Neowin) in order to force Microsoft to fix them. This SP2 thing was such a Fiasco! It looks like they will inevitably unleash

XP SP3 in the Future.

:wacko:

im sure there are lots of pple here who use ares too right? after installing xpsp2 then all the downloads couldnt start and alot of problems happen. i uninstalled sp2 to solve my ares problems and it worked all my downloads started immediately!

anyway having e same problem?

its some tcip or whatever problem i dunno. i saw it on some website.. saying that sp2 affected various p2p programs etc.

-brandon

Has anyone had problems ie freezing and recycle bin not emptying. these problems came with sp2 clean installed. not sure if its a bug!!

seem to have started 1 week after installed very wierd and annoying lol