• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Apple responds to Microsoft ads: "a PC is no bargain"

mokthraka    159

so I can pay mabey what 300 if I dont know what im doing and get virus and arnt smart enough to get a free virus scanner

thats all you should spend over say 3 years tops

or I can pay 3000 and end up getting virus once some douche bag decides he wants to make a virus for macs(there all ready are though...)

lets not forget all the games you can play on mac

world of warcraft and im not sure what else

im not saying pcs are perfect and macs suck there are things macs are good for

and I hate the fact he says everyone things apple is cool cause umm I dont

well except my Itouch

jonhapimp    0

i really hate that if you by an windows installed pc( a mac is a pc too) your cheap/broke and ignorant/stupid, if i had 3k i wouldn't buy a mac. I would buy a kickass 3k windows installed pc, not an mac

Vice    1,593

Can't play the latest games on a Mac so it kinda makes the 'PC is no bargain when it doesn't do what you want' argument moot for anyone that wants to play computer games like myself.

I think what Apple is getting at, is if you wanna do 'Life stuff' like Home Movies, or Picture stuff that the Mac by default does it better. But I'd argue a lot of people who own PC's don't want to do that stuff and if they did they are happy with Microsoft Movie Maker and Flickr.

Fred Derf    217
"The one thing that both Apple and Microsoft can agree on is that everyone thinks the Mac is cool," Evans added.

The analysis also points out that PC users who run into inevitable problems will face a $129 fee from Geek Squad just to diagnose the problem, while pointing out that Apple offers free help from its retail stores' Genius Bar.

Source: Apple Insider

So, if you are a tool then you'll have to pay extra and still not be cool.

jewishornet    0
Typical Apple. Seeing as a PC can do everything a mac can, and some other things it can't (gaming for one) I don't really get their argument

Oh yeah that HP can legally and natively boot into OS X? It has a Unibody design?

bob21    0

i believe he ment with Windows , V read it and weep

Kyang    112
What a weak argument..

People buy PCs when they look @ the spec sheet from Apple. Not everyone is clueless about computers anymore; people conduct research upon performance and preference(being either PC or Apple).

This is way off topic, but where did you get your signature from? It's great!

anarkhy    33

macs are overpriced, that's what the commercial shows and they are correct. today the only difference is the os anyway, the hardware is the same for pcs and macs.

Doli    546
"A PC is no bargain when it doesn't do what you want."

My PC does what I want it to do.

Sethos    270
"A PC is no bargain when it doesn't do what you want."

That's right, I want my PC to suck my wallet dry and then laugh at me.

Reacon    135

They forgot to mention FREE anti viruses and the fact that 150$ is nowhere near the premium you pay for your Apple.

MindlesS    0
If apple and Microsoft could just work together like mature men, we wouldn't have this sort of problem. Hey, imagine a apple/microsoft OS. Built by both, and one clean, neat design. and SECURE

That my friend would basically be the definition of a monopoly and would never be allowed to happen

Zapadlo    0
That my friend would basically be the definition of a monopoly and would never be allowed to happen

Not to mention being absolutely horrible for the little guy, aka consumer.

Gary2MBz    20

How f'ing stupid can this loser heilsswhatever be? He has not seen how easy Macs have been hacked. Windows OSes are insecure? They patch it within a day, lets see your dying God steve do anything about Mac being hacked. This guy is a speechless wuss. Nobody would justofy paying $2500 for a friggin MacBook regardless of specs or outer beauty. Not everyone is rich and stupid enough to think the MacBooks are the s**t. I think this guy was dropped on his head as a kid. Crybaby wuss...

Macalicious    0
Generic? How is HP generic?

Apple has some balls, but not very big ones. First they go after MS...now they are insulting HP.

What makes HP laptops different to any one elses? apart from price and specifications - there are no differences. So yes, they are yet another cookie cutter company with zero investment in making their products different to anyone else's part from the superficial outside.

The question is how much you're willing to pay for a smoother out of the box experience, whether you want Mac OS X and whether you want something that Apple doesn't make. Apple doesn't make a consumer 17 inch laptop and the only thing that comes close is the MacBook Pro which amounts to a portable workstation.

I personally would have attacked it from a different angle than what Apple has done but I assume they know what they're doing.

Snowl    41

There is software that PC's dont have a equivilant to... like boot camp, and.. i'm not sure what else because I dont have a mac (only a iPod touch). Lets get the 3 letter word in here so he can tell us how were wrong!

bob21    0
What makes HP laptops different to any one elses? apart from price and specifications - there are no differences.

20 inch displays , Multi-Touch swivel screens , Built in 5.1 sound (5 Speakers and a Sub) , Built in media center compatible remotes, i could go on forever .

HP is about as innovative as manufacturers come .

Brandon    298
Oh yeah that HP can legally and natively boot into OS X? It has a Unibody design?

Yup, it can legally and natively boot into OS X.

Unibody? So what? Its a computer. How does that affect performance at all?

winrez    120
20 inch displays , Multi-Touch swivel screens , Built in 5.1 sound (5 Speakers and a Sub) , Built in media center compatible remotes, i could go on forever .

+100

dont forget them leading the way in multitouch laptops.

HP spends tons of cash in R&D to get the latest tech mainstream or to change the way that users interact with computers which is why HP is the hardware used in most of the demonstrations that Microsoft does of next gen OS's

all you need to do is look at previous years of CES footage of microsoft demos on youtube

HP has quad core laptops how many does Apple have

Edited by winrez

spenser.d    1,100

Lol. It really does seem like Microsoft caught them completely off guard with this line of advertising :laugh:

-Spenser

Dale    16

if mac argued that you get what you pay for, id understand.. but PC is no bargain is BS.

AgentGray    12

I love my macbook, it's one of the best designed laptops on the market and i paid a premium for the touchpad, keyboard, and screen that it has, I knew exactly what i was paying for, a premium price for windowdressing and a few slightly higher end parts but I bought it still., and I wanted to play around with OS X. 3 weeks after buying it, i received an email notifying me of the new version of iLife, i could, since i purchased my macbook SO recently, get this new version for a nice discount. Paying for software that you gave no release date for then dumped into the market. Great.

Now, within a year of purchase, i'll be supposed to pick up another OSX service pack for WELL OVER $100. That also doesn't account for that fact that no-antivirus / malware protection on any consumer OS is idiotic in a corporate environment...and there are a few options for OSX users who don't want to sit with their balls hanging open for a virus writer to get bored with windows and start dumping on all the known, unpatched, and exploitable holes in OS X, expectantly old versions of it that thousands of people run because they don't want to pay $100 per patch. Subscriptions for the mac osx anti-virii? About as much as any smart non-tech person would pay for windows equivalent.

No blu ray support, no driver support for third party equipment and upgrades, (I'll take customization over tight-integration any day - hell, i'll take a few crashes a year i've gotten on vista over not being able to easily upgrade (Ya know... besides the white list that mac hands you to pick from), having to advertise that windows runs in your environment... Saying your product isn't "more expensive" is starting to sound a bit off-tune to me.

Macalicious    0

How is any of that innovative? you've still got the same operating system with all the same flaws - the experience is no different as an end user to any of the other alternatives out there. So you've strapped on some dongles which are poor integrated into the operating system and the applications that run ontop of it. Great - why not throw on a side mirror just for geek factor whilst you're at it.

As for 20inch laptop displays - I don't know whether to laugh or cry at people who have a display size fetish.

Zapadlo    0

Every time I hear the word "experience" used in a Mac praising context I get a pharyngeal reflex.

bob21    0

well because 20 inch displays , Multi-Touch swivel screens , Built in 5.1 sound (5 Speakers and a Sub) , Built in media center compatible remotes etc etc are not the kind of thing you find on other laptops . Making HP's laptops innovative .

in⋅no⋅va⋅tion [in-uh-vey-shuhn]

–noun 1. something new or different introduced: numerous innovations in the high-school curriculum.

That fulfills the definition of innovative , Maby not your definition "Something apple does that other manufactures dont" .

As for 20inch laptop displays - it beats getting a hardon over a badge and its magical enhancing properties over computer hardware , At least its something tangible real and grounded in reality . Think about it this way comparing a 20 inch to a 15inch , Its like comparing a normal laptop to a netbook :p .