• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Apple responds to Microsoft ads: "a PC is no bargain"

Denis W.    731

A computer's not a bargain because it doesn't do what I want.

That's an incredibly naive statement. Who is he to dictate what ALL computer users want? People who build and tweak their rigs by hand are dumb for not selecting a "well" designed computer?

While he's at it, he might as well call people who fix cars themselves stupid for not trusting their car dealers to fix their cars for them...

Edited by gigapixels

ahhell    1,303

I think someone needs to pull a Macbook out of their ass.

Chris-Gonzales    0
The difference being i payed the cost of a top end mac book pro , And got a far better system for the same price . No contradiction at all .

In your opinion, others don't fell they need to spend that much when they could easy get the same specs and same screen size for a lot less.

But there is a contradiction. You complain that Mac users are calling you poor, but they aren't. You pay a premium for a Mac, that's all. Whether it's a premium you want to pay or not is up to you. It might not be a premium at all in your opinion, if you're a Windows fan. Just overpricing.

And these ads are targeting those who want a cheap computer, and seem to be targeting people on a budget ($1000, etc). Not poor, but limited in some way.

Having $1,000 is not poor. Hell, if you had $50 bucks, you'd be doing good. not everyone is rich, or may be they are, but they don;t want to spend all their money on a macbook.

If you really want a macbook, enter the contest on apple.com and pray to god that you'll win

But seriously, you people make me laugh, bickering back and forth at each other. May be I should make some popcorn and get a coke and sit back and enjoy the entertament.

Solid Knight    512
But seriously, you people make me laugh, bickering back and forth at each other. May be I should make some popcorn and get a coke and sit back and enjoy the entertament.

If you're going to do that then you should use Jolly Time. Anybody who uses Orville Redenbacher is a moron with no taste. Anyone who makes their own is an idiot who doesn't value their time.

I jest, of course.

soonerproud    22
Do you even READ THE POSTS?!

The over all experience is dictated by the operating system running. You can rant and rave about how great the hardware specifications are but they impact very little on whether a computer is enjoyable and productive to use.

You are fixating on specifications - I'm concerned about the OVER ALL EXPERIENCE! It is the over all experience that justifies the price and not just the hardware or the operating system alone.

Comprende?

You just don't get it do you? The majority of PC users are satisfied with their OVERALL EXPERIENCE! Apple is not the only hardware company that innovates or builds excellent systems. The world prefers Windows so just get over yourself because if the market decides Apple is a better value, then people will buy from Apple first.

basix    0

What I want to know is why this thread is hidden in the Mac section where it gets limited views, opposed to the BPN where it would recieve the full attention that it deserves....

If this were a MS said this again kinda article it surely wouldn't end up in a general discussion.

nm. I found my answer on the first page....

"resurfacing a lot of unwanted attention."

nm again. It's Frontpage news now....

Edited by basix

Chris-Gonzales    0
What I want to know is why this thread is hidden in the Mac section where it gets limited views, opposed to the BPN where it would recieve the full attention that it deserves....

If this were a MS said this again kinda article it surely wouldn't end up in a general discussion.

Its getting views from all this rubbish arguments.

Dischordiant    0

And with a clip, once again, implying that PC users are poor.

Chris-Gonzales    0
And with a clip, once again, implying that PC users are poor.

that video was made by a mac head who doesn't know that the world is not all rich.

I normally don;'t call mac users that, but I had to this time given how stupid the guy was

Ricardo Gil    0

What a bunch of whining kids. Can't you just grow up and accept that different people have different priorities?

So what if Macs are higher priced? Why does that bother you? Why do you have to label every Mac owner as arrogant?

I find as much arrogance in people who are constantly saying they can build a computer for much less. Well go ahead, build it and be gone. No one gives a damn.

I use a very stable Dell Precision at work, XP runs on it like a charm. At home I used to work with a Dell laptop, also very stable. Now I've upgraded that Dell to a MacBook. The MacBook was more expensive than other laptops on sale but I went for it. It was lighter, thinner, had a more solid aluminum body, and the battery was great.

Those things were worth the price for me. But this is me. Why should anyone be upset by that?

If someone buys a $500 laptop I won't mind. Each person has their own preferences and priorities. I'm not rich or arrogant 'cause I have a Mac and there's no need to stereotype every Mac user.

But no, every thread comes down to this.

Stop picking sides and flaming others. If you're happy with what you have then that's great, if not, deal with it.

Buzz99    8

Apple is tightly relying in hardware sales, while Microsoft is a software based company. No wonder why Apple is selling hardware twice the price that it's worth. And upgrading a mac is once again another reason to put in big money. Apple should concentrate also on customer service (as the case of Mac Book faulty hinges, and ipod shuffle DRM kind of bs for ear buds) and for once and for all take good care of customers who put down big money on their hardware. They claim control of quality but is just a case hijacking buyers.

BajiRav    2,137
Am I crazy in thinking Macalicious is very like LTD?

+1

0sit0    177
The UI for starters - then again, you've never used a non-PC platform in your life - so I don't expect you to understand.

The iTunish UI?? That ugly piece of ****? If you like spending money on UI good for you but not everyone has the same "needs".

Snowl    41
The UI for starters - then again, you've never used a non-PC platform in your life - so I don't expect you to understand.

Um... What makes mac plataform different to a PC plataform (besides the OS) now that they have intel processes? Oh, right. The fruit logo. Sorry bout that ;)

Damian    119
Um... What makes mac plataform different to a PC plataform (besides the OS) now that they have intel processes? Oh, right. The fruit logo. Sorry bout that ;)

Besides the OS? The Beautiful Aluminium Design. I don't care if it has an logo on it or not.

thevink    3

Am I crazy in thinking that Macalicious stops responding to people who prove that his argument was flawed? I'd like to see him try to respond to dhan.........

And if software is that important to you, and hardware is not, get a PC and put Windows/OSx86/Linux on it. It will be cheaper.

If hardware is important to you and software is not, get a PC and put Windows/OSx86/Linux on it. It will be cheaper.

If money is no object and you love the Unibody design, aluminum casing, tightly integrated hardware, etc. get a Mac and put Windows/OSx86/Linux on it.

...If you want to become a mime in distress, your better off with a PC

If you want to farm cows but still have time for the family, get a MAC................. wow, that got stupid real fast.......

Subject Delta    108
How is any of that innovative? you've still got the same operating system with all the same flaws - the experience is no different as an end user to any of the other alternatives out there. So you've strapped on some dongles which are poor integrated into the operating system and the applications that run ontop of it. Great - why not throw on a side mirror just for geek factor whilst you're at it.

As for 20inch laptop displays - I don't know whether to laugh or cry at people who have a display size fetish.

That would be dependent on everyone thinking like you, and groundlessly bashing Windows without having the facts, which fortunately most reasonable minded people don't. It is amusing that the only rebuttal that you can come up with is to continuously chastise people for "display size fetishes" and "hardware fetishes". Has the thought ever occured to you that what is in their computer may actually be more important to people than what it looks like

The only reason that debate is made is because the only non-subjective claim Windows users have against Macs is the price.

Mac users don't say Windows users are poor. They say that Macs are more expensive, and that they can justify them for themselves. You can't say that Macs are overpriced, but I paid a lot for my laptop too. It's a contradiction in terms.

Of course it isn't. Macs are poor gaming machines, they are far less customisable and upgradable that Windows machines (unless you shell out for a mac pro of course), the UI of OSX is totally different, you will have to learn new software to switch.

And yet you ignore the operating system and have an orgasm over the specifications.

Then again, I guess you just like staring at a screen all day.

And you ignore the specifications and have an orgasm over the software. Some people do actually have the need for powerful hardware, did that thought somehow pass you by when you got sucked into the apple camp?

You mean the millions of crap freeware and shareware out there for Windows? the over priced garbage from big name vendors like Adobe who drop support for their products the moment that a new operating system is released?

Your justification is as almost as pathetic as Linux users who boast about 10,000 packages in their distro repository.

Quantity does not equal quality.

There is plenty of crapware available for OSX as well, it isn't exclusive to Windows. Another poor argument there.

PGHammer    1,495
Generic? How is HP generic?

Apple has some balls, but not very big ones. First they go after MS...now they are insulting HP.

Worse, they fell right into Microsoft's trap.

They are deliberately failing to differentiate between the OS and what it runs on (possibly because they know *quite well* that the same HP they slammed could run OS X Leopard, iLife/iWork and all with some OS tweaking; that is pretty much what's done to Tiger/Leopard to enable them to run on a PC today).

Then there is the reality that those overpriced Macs also make quite dandy Windows computers (not just the iMacs, but the MacBooks and Mac Pros, too).

Except for certain hyperniche applications (including Final Cut Pro) that are Mac-only, the biggest reason Macs sell is because Apple has deliberately cast themselves as *anti-Windows* (David compared to, in Apple's own words, the "Wintel Goliath").

Apple still has not justified the exclusivity of OS X to Apple hardware (which will, if anything, be even harder to justify after this response to "I'm a PC.").

I seem to remember another company trying a similar tactic over a decade ago (they wound up making the entire operating system both open-source and free).

Ricardo Gil    0
I seem to remember another company trying a similar tactic over a decade ago (they wound up making the entire operating system both open-source and free).

Solaris was (and probably still is) made with key hardware in mind. Since support is the biggest cash cow when selling servers, it only made sense business wise. Of course, times changed, cheaper alternatives came out and Sun just had to adapt.

Ez8    0
This is way off topic, but where did you get your signature from? It's great!

I drew mine! Used one of those wacom tablets and drew three Jegans(aka GMs)

+1

truth be told he's not LTD, his political views are completely the opposite.

C_Guy    8

If you want to become a mime in distress, your better off with a PC

Well, if you went back to school and learned the difference between "your" and "you're" you would probably have the skillset required to keep your PC up and running properly. It doesn't take much if you know how to use a computer properly.

Besides the OS? The Beautiful Aluminium Design. I don't care if it has an logo on it or not.

Yup, and Apple is all about choices in design. When it comes to their laptop line, you have two choices in styles: Buy it or don't.

At least the PC crowd gets the privilege of variety ;)

Guest jgrodri   

I just want to add my two cents to the discussion:

i think its pathetic how every single time there is any sort of apple news on this frontpage of the website, it always ends up up in this ridiculous argument between one or 2 mac fans and 50+ windows guys who seem to believe each other is a pest. its absolutely impossible to have a mannered, interesting conversation.

Pls grow up, I'm sick of always reading the usual "take that fanboys", "macs suck", "macs are expensive shiny toys", "I have no problem with apple but i hate their users" etc. If you really dislike macs so much and have nothing useful to add, why not just avoid the topic? save yourself the time and liver.

BajiRav    2,137
I just want to add my two cents to the discussion:

i think its pathetic how every single time there is any sort of apple news on this frontpage of the website, it always ends up up in this ridiculous argument between one or 2 mac fans and 50+ windows guys who seem to believe each other is a pest. its absolutely impossible to have a mannered, interesting conversation.

Pls grow up, I'm sick of always reading the usual "take that fanboys", "macs suck", "macs are expensive shiny toys", "I have no problem with apple but i hate their users" etc. If you really dislike macs so much and have nothing useful to add, why not just avoid the topic? save yourself the time and liver.

And personally I am sick of how most Mac users suddenly grow conscience every time there is an "anti-Apple" thread...

Gary2MBz    20
And personally I am sick of how most Mac users suddenly grow conscience every time there is an "anti-Apple" thread...

+1 Agreed. Just accept loss when it happens kinda like when your MacBook Pro's graphics goes burning up on you haha. Oh don't worry the almighty Jobs and the Genius Bar Monks will fix your disabilities. Apple to me = Scientology outside computer world. They do the brainwashing with the stupid commercials and have you empty your wallets. Less human obesity is better than less wallet obesity but they are bad in their own ways.

Reacon    135
+1

+2

Maybe he is... :blink: