Apple responds to Microsoft ads: "a PC is no bargain"

Why do you think they are fighting tooth and nail with Psystar? Kinda sad when their OS is running on similar spec'ed machines for a hell of a lot cheaper.

Back in the day Apple used to let other companies make Mac clones. The problem was the clone makers were building better quality machines for cheaper prices and Apple wasn't getting as big of a cut of the pie. They abruptly stopped allowing clones to be made. Now that the OS isn't built into the ROMs anymore, they have very little control.

Back in the day Apple used to let other companies make Mac clones. The problem was the clone makers were building better quality machines for cheaper prices and Apple wasn't getting as big of a cut of the pie. They abruptly stopped allowing clones to be made. Now that the OS isn't built into the ROMs anymore, they have very little control.

I have a Mac clone sitting in my basement which Daystar ... I mean Pystar kind took a liberty with its name :p

well because 20 inch displays , Multi-Touch swivel screens , Built in 5.1 sound (5 Speakers and a Sub) , Built in media center compatible remotes etc etc are not the kind of thing you find on other laptops . Making HP's laptops innovative .

All those are found in other laptops.

The innovative part is integrating them in with the operating system - without needing to use third party crappy applications and drivers to get it working. Innovation isn't just attaching a dongle and screaming, "innovation!" any more than standing in a garage and screaming, "I am a car" suddenly makes you a car.

That fulfills the definition of innovative , Maby not your definition "Something apple does that other manufactures dont" .

As for 20inch laptop displays - it beats getting a hardon over a badge and its magical enhancing properties over computer hardware , At least its something tangible real and grounded in reality . Think about it this way comparing a 20 inch to a 15inch , Its like comparing a normal laptop to a netbook :p .

Pardon? who is getting a hard on? I have a laptop for portability - how the hell is attaching a 20inch screen going to allow me to carry it around without unneed bulk? if you're going to rave on about 20 inch screens I might as well point out that you save your money and get in all in one computer with a truck battery if you're not concerned about excessive bulk.

This is funny. Apple bashed MS left and right with their "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC ads" and MS just stood back, didnt comment, and took it. Now MS is fighting back and Apple is crying like a bunch of babies.

What a surprise. Apple being immature, yet again.

Frankly, I don't like Microsoft's ads, either. "I'm a PC" was good, but now they are simply stooping down to Apple's mud-slinging level. It's a shame, really. Both Apple and Microsoft have had some very distinctive, very professional ad campaigns in the past, and I hate to see the companies stooping to such low levels.

But, oh well, the good thing is that competition between the two will only give us consumers better products in the end.

Oh yeah that HP can legally and natively boot into OS X? It has a Unibody design?

Your name says jewishornet, but you sting like a W.A.S.P.

Microsoft could do the same to your ****ty bootcamp clique and write off fruit-branded PC's in their EULA too.

While I don't condone the above statement, it would be a kick in the pants.

Just saying....

There is software that PC's dont have a equivilant to... like boot camp, and.. i'm not sure what else because I dont have a mac (only a iPod touch). Lets get the 3 letter word in here so he can tell us how were wrong!

Boot camp... Well of frickin course PC's dont have bootcamp since they don't NEED bootcamp as its entire purpose is to run windows on a mac. The reason OS X doesn't go well with PC's is because Apple restricted their drivers to only their hardware. PC's can dual boot Linux, or OpenBSD. Shouldn't that be considered "boot camp"?

The innovative part is integrating them in with the operating system - without needing to use third party crappy applications and drivers to get it working. Innovation isn't just attaching a dongle and screaming, "innovation!" any more than standing in a garage and screaming, "I am a car" suddenly makes you a car.

HP has a few of the tools to work with that already come with Windows 7. They also have their own TouchSmart software made for multi-touch screens and their own version of Linux(Some distro I can't remember) for netbooks.

No , no they're not.

innovation

Noun

the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new

No its not . Its introducing something new for the first time which HP have done time and time again. The fact that windows uses drivers for its hardware is irrelevant your simply using that to justify apples non inclusion of said features .

Pardon? who is getting a hard on? I have a laptop for portability - how the hell is attaching a 20inch screen going to allow me to carry it around without unneed bulk? if you're going to rave on about 20 inch screens I might as well point out that you save your money and get in all in one computer if you're not concerned about excessive bulk.

Its a figure of speach , your needs might be fulfilled with a dingy 15inch screen but this isnt a one size fits all world other people have different and more demanding needs . It fits in a bag to and back from work and thats fine for me .Its arrogant to just mark off other peoples needs as unnecessary because apple dosnt provide for them .

Thats great. Lets compare a $600 notebook to a $3000 notebook! that makes all the sense in the world! Hey apple, you want us to compare prices? Lets compare a 3k pc to a 3k mac, and i bet you the pc will blow that mac away in ever aspect. Mac has nothing to use as holding ground except for make believe and fanboyism. Hell, I could build a 1k computer that would blow most macs away.

Its a figure of sopeach , your needs might be fulfiled with a dingy 15inch screen but this isnt a one size fits all world other people have different and more demanding needs . It fits in a bag to and back from work and thats fine for me .Its arrogant to just mark off other peoples needs as unneccessory because apple dosnt provide for them .

Seriously. I prefer 14.1" laptops but I'm not going around calling people dumb for wanting a 17", 19", or 20" screen on their laptop. Hell some people buy a laptop and it just sits on their desk all day everyday until they take a vacation once a year and bring it with them. Some people only care to move it around in the various rooms of their house and have no intentions of going anywhere outside their home with it. It's just so mind boggling stupid for people to get ****ed off because they bough a laptop that doesn't fit your usage habits. Really, I think they're just trying to dismiss the argument because there is no way they can refute it. They want people to see that Macs are superior and when somebody points out that Apple doesn't build a laptop with the features they want they tell them they don't need those features or they call the user stupid.

Of cause the MacBook Pro is going to be better, for starters it costs $3K and it's a top of the line product and they are comparing it to a basic PC laptop...how about you think things though next time Apple, before opening your mouth and making yourself look stupid?

Thats great. Lets compare a $600 notebook to a $3000 notebook! that makes all the sense in the world! Hey apple, you want us to compare prices? Lets compare a 3k pc to a 3k mac, and i bet you the pc will blow that mac away in ever aspect. Mac has nothing to use as holding ground except for make believe and fanboyism. Hell, I could build a 1k computer that would blow most macs away.

I think you forgot design, style, reliability and OS X. How does a company gather 'fanboys' if their product isn't worth being excited over in the first place?!

Aye, I built a PC 2 months ago with 4GB ram, a Q8200, 4870 1GB, 640 GB hard drive, MB with 3 PCIe 2.0's and an intel x38 chipset. All for 860$.

Compare to this.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB871LL/A?mco=NDE4NDIwNA

GT 120..pff add 200$ for a 4870 512mb, of course! Great deal! considering a 4870 512 is around 150$ by now! and that's And that's ADD 200$ so you're paying for the crappy GT 120 AND a 4870. Only place where this Mac Pro "blows my pc out of the water" is the processor. And even if I were to go Core i7, I could build the same system they have shown for under 1500$.

I think you forgot design, style, reliability and OS X. How does a company gather 'fanboys' if their product isn't worth being excited over in the first place?!

Lies and exaggerations.

Seriously. I prefer 14.1" laptops but I'm not going around calling people dumb for wanting a 17", 19", or 20" screen on their laptop. Hell some people buy a laptop and it just sits on their desk all day everyday until they take a vacation once a year and bring it with them. Some people only care to move it around in the various rooms of their house and have no intentions of going anywhere outside their home with it. It's just so mind boggling stupid for people to get ****ed off because they bough a laptop that doesn't fit your usage habits. Really, I think they're just trying to dismiss the argument because there is no way they can refute it. They want people to see that Macs are superior and when somebody points out that Apple doesn't build a laptop with the features they want they tell them they don't need those features or they call the user stupid.

Good, so you think it is stupid to criticise what another person likes or dislikes based on what their requirements are.

Am I going to get an apology from people who think that me requesting 'Mac OS X' being dumb? labelling me dumb because my preference is Mac OS X?

As I said, if Apple doesn't make something - it doesn't make them suck, it just means they don't make it. Buy a device that suits your requirements but don't then turn around say that it is superior to everything on the market because you're contradicting what you originally claimed that its all done to personal preference. By claiming something rules you've transferred your original declaration of personal preference to a claim of objective superiority over others.

What a surprise. Apple being immature, yet again.

Frankly, I don't like Microsoft's ads, either. "I'm a PC" was good, but now they are simply stooping down to Apple's mud-slinging level. It's a shame, really. Both Apple and Microsoft have had some very distinctive, very professional ad campaigns in the past, and I hate to see the companies stooping to such low levels.

But, oh well, the good thing is that competition between the two will only give us consumers better products in the end.

I disagree - I don't think Microsoft has stooped to Mac's level in advertising. They haven't yet implied that Mac's are inferior, just that they cost way more, while at the same time showing what you can get for a cheaper price with a PC.

-Spenser

I use to think that the MS/Apple OS feud was just between the fanboi of each but I'm beginning to see the roots of the issue...these two companies just don't like each other very much.

Umm, wasn't Apple doing a heck load of I'm a PC ads a few months ago? What are they wining about again?

I havn't seen one in almost a year. Its all be iPhone ads and a few ipod and macbook ads

i really hate that if you by an windows installed pc( a mac is a pc too) your cheap/broke and ignorant/stupid, if i had 3k i wouldn't buy a mac. I would buy a kickass 3k windows installed pc, not an mac

If I had 3k laying around, I'd buy one of those HP HDX systems and max it out in specs (and I might STILL have some money left over)

Oh yeah that HP can legally and natively boot into OS X? It has a Unibody design?

So what? OSX is just an OS. Unibody design? Please, while the process of making them is really cool and neat, its just the same plain design, while HP had designs and patterns. Might be a bit glossy, but at least its some class.

My PC does what I want it to do.

And that's all that matters. It does what the COUSMER wants, not what Joey wants from a neowin from. (No offence to any one name "Joe". I'm just saying?)

How is any of that innovative? you've still got the same operating system with all the same flaws - the experience is no different as an end user to any of the other alternatives out there. So you've strapped on some dongles which are poor integrated into the operating system and the applications that run ontop of it. Great - why not throw on a side mirror just for geek factor whilst you're at it.

And is that a problem? You won't run I to any problems if you're a smart computer user.

As for 20inch laptop displays - I don't know whether to laugh or cry at people who have a display size fetish.

HP discontinued their 20" HDX laptop a few years back. They brought back the HDX name for their new 16 and 18" displays.

Good point.

Same goes for removing key ports like firewire and HDMI. Apple thinks the world is ready to go their way or the highway. But that's not the way it is.

Seriously. I prefer 14.1" laptops but I'm not going around calling people dumb for wanting a 17", 19", or 20" screen on their laptop.

Good job. You like 14" some like larger. It should bother you if someone else likes something you don't. Freaking out over that is just childish.

Hell some people buy a laptop and it just sits on their desk all day everyday until they take a vacation once a year and bring it with them. Some people only care to move it around in the various rooms of their house and have no intentions of going anywhere outside their home with it. It's just so mind boggling stupid for people to get ****ed off because they bough a laptop that doesn't fit your usage habits. Really, I think they're just trying to dismiss the argument because there is no way they can refute it. They want people to see that Macs are superior and when somebody points out that Apple doesn't build a laptop with the features they want they tell them they don't need those features or they call the user stupid.

And that is childish. I can't stand people like that.

Of cause the MacBook Pro is going to be better, for starters it costs $3K and it's a top of the line product and they are comparing it to a basic PC laptop...how about you think things though next time Apple, before opening your mouth and making yourself look stupid?

Erm, the last Microsoft ad was far from a basic PC laptop.

Buy a device that suits your requirements but don't then turn around say that it is superior to everything on the market because you're contradicting what you originally claimed that its all done to personal preference. By claiming something rules you've transferred your original declaration of personal preference to a claim of objective superiority over others.

Ill do that when you and your buddies stop claiming Macs are Superior to PCs and that everyone who uses a PC is poor and ignorant.

What makes HP laptops different to any one elses? apart from price and specifications - there are no differences. So yes, they are yet another cookie cutter company with zero investment in making their products different to anyone else's part from the superficial outside.

How does any laptop differ from any other laptop besides price, specifications, and the "superficial outside"?

Oh wait let me guess, you just wanted to say they don't have OS X.

Ill do that when you and your buddies stop claiming Macs are Superior to PCs and that everyone who uses a PC is poor and ignorant.

come on, just ignore those comments. They are just being extremely immature. Don't feed in to it

Wow, way to go collectivism. Collectivising all Mac users as a single entity.

I never made any such claims - my parents own two PC's based on my recommendation to go with Dell. Sine receiving them they have been incredibly happy. You really think that I'm sort of zealot who goes around imposing my views on others?

How about treating Mac users as individuals instead of lumping them all in one boat.

How does any laptop differ from any other laptop besides price, specifications, and the "superficial outside"?

Oh wait let me guess, you just wanted to say they don't have OS X.

Its the operating system. The operating system dictates the quality of the over all experience. If the operating system is poor quality then the experience over all is poor.

Heck, Microsoft has a whole video on their channel 9 website about fit and finish - to raise the bar for both third party software vendors and hardware integrators.

Then again, you keep abusing me because all you're focused on is the hardware because apparently hardware is the only thing that is of importance when purchasing a computer.