Ridley Scotts "Prometheus" (2012)

meh. I told you so. This gonna suck. And probably is PG-13, so... **** you Ridley Scott.

It has been confirmed that both Fox and Ridley are aiming for an R release. Fox had a lot of reservations about giving him 200 million dollars to make an R film so they got a guy who was more budget concious to rework the screenplay and it brought the costs down to around 170 million so Ridley got his R rating and Fox got less risk.

However Ridley does intend to make two cuts of the movie (R and PG-13) so Fox may change their mind or decide to release both but to separate audiences.

I think the film is going to be fantastic I have faith.

Looks "meh"

What made the original great it's the minimalist (to some extent) setting that created a very effective claustrophobic atmosphere. Why everything should be grandiloquent CG scenes today? The original stood the test of time better than any of it sequels.

lol

I have to admit, i lost faith in Ridley Scott. Actually for Tony Scott as well :( I didn't like Kingdom of Heaven or any of Ridley's following films. Same for Tony.. Last one I enjoyed from him was Man on Fire.

Looks "meh"

What made the original great it's the minimalist (to some extent) setting that created a very effective claustrophobic atmosphere. Why everything should be grandiloquent CG scenes today? The original stood the test of time better than any of it sequels.

I think you need to go back and re-watch Alien, because the trailer borrows heavily from it. Also, I saw very little CG with the exception of the space crafts. Almost everything else was done with practical effects.

Do you guys notice the scene @ :44? :D

I sure did. I can't wait to see the mystery around the space jockey be unveiled on screen. That is one of the biggest parts of this film that make me so excited about Prometheus.

Well I don't think Ridley is trying to make the same film. But I hear what your saying.

Hopefully the story holds up, but I really liked the look of the film from the trailer.

My criticism was more directed to the general state of the hollywood industry. But yeah, nothing on this trailer made me feel interested.

If I wanted to spend a couple hours of my life looking at cgi I would just fire up a game on my computer. Am I the only one that appreciates old-school cinema?

My criticism was more directed to the general state of the hollywood industry. But yeah, nothing on this trailer made me feel interested.

If I wanted to spend a couple hours of my life looking at cgi I would just fire up a game on my computer. Am I the only one that appreciates old-school cinema?

I enjoy old school cinema but I don't think CGI ruins films, it can but by default it doesn't. It is when the director relies on it too much or doesn't have the funds necessary to do it properly that it ruins the film.

I think a good example of where CGI was used properly while mixed in with traditional prop based special effects is Sunshine. It's a very "Alien" type movie that I could see someone like Ripley making but it uses CGI to great effect in creating the atmosphere outside of the ship where the events take place. And I feel that is the same thing Ripley is going to do with Prometheus, so far everything inside the ship looks legit and it's only when the crew leaves the ship do we see blatant CGI use in the trailer. We don't yet know how much time or how significant these scenes will be but from the trailer they look well done and highly detailed.

He isn't usually someone that relies on explosions and on-screen fluff to tell a story, he creates an atmosphere with detail and substance instead of flash and I trust in his vision when I say that I think this will be an excellent movie.

The trailer had the same kind of atmosphere as Alien.

You cant compare one of his masterpieces to this. Alien was one of the best movies ever (he break the empty and innocuous space (aka 2001) and convert this space to a dirty and a living thing). The same with Blade Runner.

This looks like an aliens vs predator crappy sequel. It has THAT atmosphere instead.

I think Aliens 3 was a good film, and well, actually fully provided closure to the whole franchise. And then 4 was made, where they tried to carry on the "legacy" with Winona Rider, which failed. Then AvP was made, which wasn't anywhere near as good as Alien/Aliens, but still fairly respectable under its own merits. However, they completely killed it with AvP 2.

I definitely think you're right in that a reboot/prequel will definitely need to be better the the originals, or at least as good, otherwise it really will kill the whole franchise.

One thing the Alien(s) movies didn't deal with was the issue of aliens reaching Earth. This was dealt with in the AvP movies.

In AvP, the aliens were contained in the pyramid arena. In AvP2, the aliens were uncontained. The predators had a cleanup job. When the indigenous population (homo sapiens) became involved, they made a hash of it. I wonder whether an Aliens 5 or AvP 3 would deal with aliens on earth?

One thing the Alien(s) movies didn't deal with was the issue of aliens reaching Earth. This was dealt with in the AvP movies.

In AvP, the aliens were contained in the pyramid arena. In AvP2, the aliens were uncontained. The predators had a cleanup job. When the indigenous population (homo sapiens) became involved, they made a hash of it. I wonder whether an Aliens 5 or AvP 3 would deal with aliens on earth?

In my opinion AvP is outside of both the Aliens and Predator cannon. I don't see both movies taking place in the same universe and the AvP movies to me are nothing more than a movie studio trying to mix and milk two franchises at once. So for me I disregard anything within them when thinking about the Aliens franchise.

You cant compare one of his masterpieces to this. Alien was one of the best movies ever (he break the empty and innocuous space (aka 2001) and convert this space to a dirty and a living thing). The same with Blade Runner.

This looks like an aliens vs predator crappy sequel. It has THAT atmosphere instead.

I assure you, it'll be nothing like Aliens vs. Predator. Those movies are nowhere near as good as the Alien movies.

• Like 1

In my opinion AvP is outside of both the Aliens and Predator cannon. I don't see both movies taking place in the same universe and the AvP movies to me are nothing more than a movie studio trying to mix and milk two franchises at once. So for me I disregard anything within them when thinking about the Aliens franchise.

The first Alien vs Predator story was a very good crossover comic by Stradley/Norwood published by Dark Horse in 1990. There was some plans for the first AvP movie to be based on the comic, but that never happened. Paul W.S. Anderson who directed AvP did steal a few ideas from the comic though. He also broke a number of Alien and Predator rules despite telling everyone how much he loved the franchises.

After the first comic there was a bunch of milking follow ups from Dark Horse, only the first one was any good (which was concluded in 6-7 numbers I believe). The story in the comic does not take place on Earth, but on a colony world.

Love ALIEN & ALIENS. The rest are abominations best not discussed :(

Some great imagery to the trailer, fingers crossed Ridley nails it, or at least will have a Directors Cut out if Fox screws it up on him again (See Kingdom of Heaven).

• 1 month later...

I don't see how anyone can say this movie will suck by judging it from the trailer.

I'll be the first to admit when the movie was announced i expected it to suck. I still think hollywood should stop reviving old series/movies like Alien, Predator, Psycho and The Thing.

While i still keep my expectation low since i did not really like the last Scott movies that much i don't see how he could make a bad movie. Did he ever made a really bad one ? Can't recall any but i might be too young. Yeah just checked over imdb and there was G.I. Jane lol

A good year was okay. Nothing to write home about but was worth the ticket price.

American Gangster was actually quite good.

Body of lies was good well worth the ticket price and more.

Robin Hood well let's say things could have went better. Was still watchable.

The good thing about Prometheus is Crowe wont play in it ;)

Judging from the trailer it looks good. In fact before the trailer my expectation was really low. Now i actually can't wait for it. The trailer feels like an Alien movie to me.

Scott and Giger re-united. Crowe not in the project. Good cast. Good trailer. So far things could be a lot worse. And it's coming from a big Alien, Aliens, Predator, Blade Runner, Totall Recall and about any sci fi movies from the 80-95 fan. I did not had the chance to see Alien and Aliens in theater since i was too young but i recall seeing Aliens in VHS when i was about 9yo. I still have memories of that ...