First InFamous Review(s)

sc0004e680-1.jpg

sc0005b195-1.jpg

sc00057d8e-1.jpg

sc0005d9ab.jpg

sc0005f76f.jpg

PROS / General Quotes :

- The ultimate superpower is given on the last stretch, which, depending how deep you go into the side missions, comes after a good ten or so hours of gameplay.

- The game's not just a looker, it's also structured really smartly, which sounds like a dull thing to be good at, but is actually crucial and brilliant.

- You start off with the basics, such as a simple 'lightning bolt', draining electricity and climbing, REALLY good climbing. (They say later on it sometimes makes Uncharted and Assassin's Creed look dull in terms of the climbing).

- It's good in two ways: It's super-powered, for one thing, so Cole can drop from any height without hurting himself, catch any ledge without finger-tip slipping, and scale just about any building (or giant industrial crane) in the city. And it's also good because it FEELS brilliant, a lovely balance of speed, fluidity and looseness on the one hand, and path-finding challenge on the other.

- It's basically a big win, moreish and addictive wish a 'one more, mission, one more power' appeal that saw me complete the game twice over a four day weekend full of ruined bedtimes.

- The combat's deep and spectacular, the climbing is slick and intuitive, and the story's got enough depth behind the flashy hero/villain hook to fully merit that all-important second playthrough.

- There's genuinely nothing else like InFamous on Ps3, and it slots in very nicely alongside the machine's other big-name exclusives. People, we have another must-buy

CONS :

There are occasional frustrations when the game wants to lock you onto the wrong piece of scenery, but it's a muscular and liberating experience that makes Assassin's Creed seem clumsy and Prince of Persia feel like it's running on autopilot.

Other scores from this mag issue

UFC 2009 - 9

FUEL - 8

GH: Metallica - 8

Phantasy Star Portable - 6

Worms - 8

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 5

Flock - 6

Bionic Commando - 6

Buzz! Brain of the UK - 8

Powerup Forever - 5

Tenchu Shadow Assassins - 6

Silent Hill - 5

Trivial Pursuit - 4

Other mag features

The Big 10

Assassins Creed II

Aliens vs Predator - Who will you play as?

Six Days in Fallujah - Taking flak!

The weird world of Keita Takahashi

Uncharted 2 - You'll **** your pants at these new features!

PES 2010 - Fixing AI woes

The Playstation Periodic Table

Secrets of MW2

Fat Princess BETA

Is RE5 DLC a rip off?

Rumour Machine

Starbreeze are working on Syndicate

Next Incognito/Lightbreeze game is Starhawk

The Beatles: Rock Band will feature harmonising, allowing more than one singer per song

FF13 will be out time for Christmas...in Japanland

Activisions DJ Hero will feature tracks from Daft Punk and DJ Shadow

GT5 will feature upwards of 600 cars and 96 tracks

Sony has 2 MASSIVE surprises in store for E3 (Not specifically PS3 :( )

Previews

MAG

Borderlands

Dead Rising 2

Mafia II

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

Rogue Warrior

Prototype

DiRT 2

Features

Red Dead Redemption

Superpowers

We can rebuild them (Improving past games)

Edited by Audioboxer

:(

UFC 2009 got a 9?!

:o

I listened to ListenUP last week and that score doesn't surprise me.

The guys on the podcast absolutely loved the game (Y)

Wow, better than Halo, then.

What does inFamous have to do with Halo?

Plus you've just opened this topic to a barrage of hungry Xbox fans. Silly comment.

I'll take a go at reading the review later in the day, lol.

Though from the way things are phrased I'm assuming there isn't any sort of free play mode?

I'll take a go at reading the review later in the day, lol.

Though from the way things are phrased I'm assuming there isn't any sort of free play mode?

Like what?

The game is similar to GTA4/Crackdown - Completely open ended, you can do whatever you want.

Alongside the main story arch there is roughly 100 side missions - Nightz posted his impressions on the GAF yesterday saying he'd spent most of his time doing sidemissions rather than the storyline :p He should post some impressions on NW for us!

Like what?

The game is similar to GTA4/Crackdown - Completely open ended, you can do whatever you want.

Alongside the main story arch there is roughly 100 side missions - Nightz posted his impressions on the GAF yesterday saying he'd spent most of his time doing sidemissions rather than the storyline :p He should post some impressions on NW for us!

Nah, I meant after you had completed the story.

I know I can do whatever whenever, but sometimes I like to get through a story, then mess around.

But if its going to be like Fallout 3, then I'll have to stop before the last mission, lol.

So we know where the cheapest place to get it is that comes with the uncharted beta code? :D

On the ShopTo forums they said they were looking to get confirmation this week if they'd be getting the Uncharted 2 beta code.

Their prices are ?33 for standard, ?40 for special edition.

Slightly OT (ok, a lot): I normally listen/watch to Invisible Walls over on GT.com. Is ListenUP worth listening too as well?

Slightly OT (ok, a lot): I normally listen/watch to Invisible Walls over on GT.com. Is ListenUP worth listening too as well?

1UP Yours was the best gaming podcast around, ListenUP is the new 1UPYours after EGM got canned and 1UP had lay offs, but it's still my favourite.

Just be warned, ListenUP episodes are loooooong. Average time since ListenUP took over from 1UPYours (about 14 eps now) has probably been around the 2 hours 15-30mins mark, some nearing 3 hours. But I love that :p The guys are funny, have a sense of humour and it's a laid back podcast also, it's not a spoken newsreel.

What does inFamous have to do with Halo?

It's just a pun for Eurogamer readers ;)

1UP Yours was the best gaming podcast around, ListenUP is the new 1UPYours after EGM got canned and 1UP had lay offs, but it's still my favourite.

Agree, ListenUP is great :) for anyone else looking for podcasts with former 1up people, check out Geekbox or Rebel FM

Also the videocast Co-Op is excellent.

Kinda miss hearing from Shane Bettenhausen, but don't think he's part of any new podcast crew after the gang split up.

I have been waiting sooooo long to finally pick this up, and now it's only a few more weeks to go! I think inFAMOUS is going to be the best "must have" PS3 title of the summer - I love a good sandbox title, and the replayability on it looks like this'll be in my system for a good long time.

Finally getting my hands on the early demo (preordered from Best Buy, so I got the code) this Friday... I can't wait!

For some reason this game doesn't excite me AT ALL. Just feels like a rehash of a few other games.

Come to think of it Prototype doesn't really do it for me either. They are kind of similar games.

Sounds short.

I love it when developers wave off length in order to get their graphics down pact.

/sarcasm.

Heaven forbid developers done lengthen games just to solely up the # of hours the story takes to finish. I'd rather have an 8 hour single player story that flows smoothly from start to finish than a 12 hour single player story that clearly has tacked on bits and pieces...

Dammit, why oh why are PS3 games now $70 CAD! I picked up KZ2 for $40 shipped with free beanie before, WTF.

What!!!! I didn't even know until I read your comment, I just checked the bestbuy website and I gues it's true! I noticed Afro Samurai was pretty expensive when it came out but I didn't know all ps3 games were going to be priced that high.

Heaven forbid developers done lengthen games just to solely up the # of hours the story takes to finish. I'd rather have an 8 hour single player story that flows smoothly from start to finish than a 12 hour single player story that clearly has tacked on bits and pieces...

Ok.

Well then you settle for every game every company makes because you just regurgitated the same thing they say every time they are questioned on length.

Ok.

Well then you settle for every game every company makes because you just regurgitated the same thing they say every time they are questioned on length.

Unless i buy an RPG, i'm expecting most of my time to be spent in multiplayer. The days of 10+ hour single player modes are about over for most games (aside from RPGs). I'd rather they focus on their original story and make it solid than to add things late in development...wouldn't you?

It sounds short, WTF?

The developers already said expect around 20 hours for the SP campaign not including the 100 odd side missions.

It's probably best it comes under a bit shorter than GTA4, I know quite a lot of people who haven't even completed GTA4 yet.

It sounds short, WTF?

The developers already said expect around 20 hours for the SP campaign not including the 100 odd side missions.

It's probably best it comes under a bit shorter than GTA4, I know quite a lot of people who haven't even completed GTA4 yet.

Yup, check one for the "hasn't completed GTA4 yet" group.

I personally don't like games that have really long campaigns. I got tired of GTA at above 60%. Got tired of babysitting my cousin, taking the bitch out, and doing the same old missions over and over again. After a game "stalls", it loses interest to me.

I think a ~12h SP campaign sounds just about right.