First InFamous Review(s)

Add me to the list, Max Payne started the "shorter but high quality" single player movement and I was glad to see it, most game story lines cannot support much more than 16 hours or so, 20 max. When a game starts hitting 25-30 hours it's usually artificially lengthened. Hell, even that not overly long Gears of War 2 had some really weak moments (the Super Mario in the belly of the beast level and pretty much all late game vehicle levels) just so they could make single player longer. I would rather a short campaign that was so compelling I feel like playing it again, and I can name a few examples...

1. Half Life 2

2. BioShock

3. Uncharted

4. Tomb Raider Legend

5. Gears of War 1

6. Killzone 2

7. Portal

And I could go on, just sitting here at work instead of looking at my game shelf.

It sounds short, WTF?

The developers already said expect around 20 hours for the SP campaign not including the 100 odd side missions.

It's probably best it comes under a bit shorter than GTA4, I know quite a lot of people who haven't even completed GTA4 yet.

AND add in the karma system, which is going to probably get most players to play through the entire thing at least twice, so they can go both good and bad... that sounds like a pretty long game to me! I'm not worried about the length at all - replayability is a much more important factor to me, and it sounds like they've got that down pat.

Special edition box-art

INF_SE_3D_MOCK_4.JPG

Uh, where is the special edition being sold? I don't see it in the US shops. I would have preordered that version if I could.

Just to confirm, UFC 09 is worth it's 9/10 score - it is amazing.

I agree - I haven't stopped playing UFC Undisputed for 2 weeks, and its only the demo.

Nah, I meant after you had completed the story.

I know I can do whatever whenever, but sometimes I like to get through a story, then mess around.

But if its going to be like Fallout 3, then I'll have to stop before the last mission, lol.

I just beat the game a few minutes ago. It puts you into free play mode after the campaign. :)

Never visited this site before but here's another short review.

IGN review is coming today as well

Every game that contains a massive world to explore must also have a hook. The last four installments of Grand Theft Auto hooked their fans by making the city fun to blow up, tear through and...well...rule. Assassin's Creed's hook was the ability to climb over everything--every nook, cranny and ledge could be scaled.

But each of these games, even with a hook, suffered some kind of downfall. GTA suffered from a tremendous lack of mission variety. Sure, there were some really great and memorable missions, but the remainder were just plain boring: Drive to X, Shoot at X, Escape to X. Did this ruin its longevity? For some, yes. With Assassin's Creed, the downfall laid in the same fashion: Tedious missions.

As a matter of fact, it seems that all sandbox games suffer from the same ailments. Because it takes so many resources (both hardware and time) to create the massive environments that define sandbox games, the rest of the game seems to suffer from much needed attention. AI usually stinks. There's usually a large amount of pop-in or other graphical glitches. Freezes occur. Story lines are underdeveloped. All of these things happen at greater frequency and severity than on typical or traditional games. But we tend to forgive these flaws simply because of that one great hook.

So, what happens when you combine the destructive sense of power of Grand Theft Auto with the scalable environments of Assassin's Creed? Well, you get to run around in the greatest sandbox of all time. But the fun and games stops there.

image.jpg

INTRO

inFAMOUS is a sandbox game. Period. Because of this, I'm not going to go into too much detail about everything. So, my review may come off as more of an impression list. There's a lot to talk about, but since I don't get paid for this, I can't really write up the 8-page review this game deserves.

Anyhow...here it is!

GAMEPLAY

The real hook in inFAMOUS is not the super powers, but instead the idea that you can go anywhere. The entire city is up for exploration. You, as Cole, are only restricted in some areas by water and barbed wire. Touch water, and it's all over for you. It seems the developers really tried to use water against you for many boss fights and mission objectives. Because you are electrically powered, water is obviously your arch enemy. Go figure, however, that as open to exploration as this game is (the most open I've ever seen), as hard as I tried, I could not climb a tree. That's right...you can climb a flag pole six stories high, but you can't climb a tree. This is just as forgivable as it is comical, though. While you can't drive vehicles, you can run without growing weary, and this makes the game world much easier to traverse.

When close to death, the screen grows view obstructing red and black 'vines'. The problem with loosing health is that it is actually attached to your electrical charge. This means that getting shot takes some of your power away. Never fear, though, because regaining charge can be done literally anywhere you see electricity. Larger electrical sources give more power, but if you need a quick jolt, any little light will do...and little lights are everywhere in a big city. Does this make the game too easy? Is being able to regain health anywhere a turn off? No. Some lights are so small that the charge you gain from them is hardly enough to risk getting shot while you're attempting to help yourself. But these little lights do help a lot when you're just gliding around the city.

Though your power set is restricted at first, you don't feel weak. Your initial power is basically just a charged bolt of electricity. It isn't much to talk about, but when you realize that everything metal (and water) in the game conducts electricity, you can really start making even the weakest of powers deliver. And powers change depending on your alignment. If you're good, your powers are very precise. This is necessary because you need to be able to avoid harming citizens in order to keep your good alignment. With an evil alignment, your character doesn't much care about others, so your powers become very 'area of effect' based. This makes it harder to cross over to the good side, but there are luckily some missions that offer a good boost to karma if that's what you're wanting to do.

Climbing is a major gameplay mechanic for inFAMOUS. Most missions feature some sort of climbing 'puzzle' that requires you to get from the ground to...well...up. If you fall, you don't die. The punishment of having to climb back to the top is enough. The climbing mechanic is very automatic, but you never really feel out of control. Sure, there are times where Cole will grab or attempt to walk along something you didn't intend, but for the most part, climbing is well polished and very fun. The game doesn't really open up, however, until you get your gliding power.

Missions and objectives become tedious quite quickly. There's not a lot of variety here...but I think we can all agree that this is the nature of sandbox games.

CONTROLS

Surprisingly, the controls work well as long as you mind the camera. Since the camera rotates using the right analog stick, mastering the targeting system is a breeze once you get used to it. Most sandbox games have difficult targeting systems, but the learning curve on inFAMOUS is much shorter. While the face buttons control actions like jumping, powers, and activating objects, the right and left bumpers modify your power buttons. You'll also find that you use environments and powers for cover or shielding instead of a dedicate blocking button.

STORY

This story contains a lot of twists. With about 8 hours of playtime moving straight through the storyline, this doesn't give you too much time to really develop a care for the NPCs. With all of the plot twists, the story can be a little convoluted, but not too difficult to follow. Sometimes missions are unclear, but an objective list helps, even if some missions remain tedious.

GRAPHICS and SOUND

I will go out on a limb and say that the graphics for inFAMOUS are the best for a sandbox game ever. Though there is plenty of object and texture pop-in, this is a trade off for a steady frame rate. The game also features great textures and atmosphere. The sound is great and really helps the city come to life. Based on graphics alone, inFAMOUS is easily a showcase title for the PS3. In fact, it makes you angry at developers that complain about memory problems on PS3. inFAMOUS shows that memory isn't an issue if you aren't too big a jerk to develop your game for the PS3. The city even streams, so there are virtually no load times.

CONCLUSION

If you want inFAMOUS to reinvent something, then don't buy it. If you want to have a blast ruling a city that seems roughly like a combination of GTA4, Assassin's Creed and Bioshock, then you're in the right place. inFAMOUS is a showcase title for the PS3, and even though it has some flaws, these can be easily overlooked for the bigger picture. So, I'm rating this game based on the fact that it is a sandbox game:

8.7/10

NOTE: I've been informed that it is possible to climb trees in the park. So, I booted the game, went to the park and attempted to climb, but I just can't seem to get it. Is there a trick to it? Maybe I'm just retarded. Please, someone, post a video of yourself climbing a tree so that I can believe it is possible.

http://www.cgreviews.com/site/blogs/blog1....infamous-review

I just beat the game a few minutes ago. It puts you into free play mode after the campaign. :)

Your a star, its the only thing I wanted to really know since no one else has asked.

Awesome Sauce.

Think I will go order it off ShopTo and hope someone will be kind enough to let me download the Uncharted beta if we can share it afterwards. :D

I'd say that is a fair review, although it broght back more feelings of Crackdown than AC for me, I really enjoyed the demo, can't wait for more.

IGN UK

What would you do if you could channel millions of volts through your fingertips? Take to the streets and try to right the world's wrongs? Create pandemonium with your newfound abilities, dealing out death and destruction with the flick of a wrist? Or simply kick back on the sofa and impress your mates as you flick through the digi-box without the aid of a remote control? That's the predicament at the centre of Sucker Punch's Infamous, an open world game with a superhero lilt that's easily one of the finest PlayStation 3 exclusives to date.
Empire City is scalable to a glorious degree and Cole is equipped with the skills to ascend every building from the very off. Sucker Punch's heritage as crafter of some of the PlayStation 2's standout platform games in the Sly Raccoon series shines through as Cole proves a delight to command across the rooftops. 2007's Crackdown may be one point of reference that comes to mind when first bounding around Empire City's dilapidated architecture, but further acquaintance with Cole's abilities also brings to mind Jet Set Radio as pylons, telegraph poles and train tracks are chained together to form one effortlessly cool glide from one point to another.
As Empire City stretches out to the hazy horizon from these vantage points it's evident that Infamous is a visually striking game. While the frame-rate can prove erratic and the occasional glitch merges Cole with the scenery, it's never enough to detract from a game with a robust visual style that's strongly delivered. While special mention must go to Cole himself, in possession of a character model that is effortlessly cool and animated with a remarkable fluidity, it's the city that's the star of Infamous. No stranger to deprivation before its brush with the apocalypse, the explosion exaggerates the seedy and the squalid as buildings crumble and car wrecks line the streets.
Cole's progression to his endgame state of a being just shy of a demigod is smooth and extremely satisfying. Starting with a basic but still impressive move-set, XP points acquired from mission completion and defeating foes is used to unlock more powerful variations and further abilities. They're never less than awe-inspiring, and more importantly are incredibly empowering ? from the very start it feels like a bona-fide superhero is at the player's control, a feeling that becomes more profound as the game reaches its conclusion.
What's more impressive is the way that Empire City reacts to Cole's decisions, cowering away from players who've followed the dark path and gathering around those who've performed more valiant deeds. At first the system seems disappointingly binary as pivotal moral moments are starkly presented to the player, but through the course of Cole's story the decisions become harder and the consequences more critical.

[quotClosing Commentsb>

But by the game's conclusion ? which is replete with a twist that's both credible and shocking ? Cole McGrath has established himself as the PlayStation 3's most exciting new mascot. While not wholly original, the game's blend of open world ideals with superhero powers is done with a verve that's unsurpassed, and the mesh of platforming and freeform combat is uniquely satisfying. The few quirks and quibbles will be no doubt be ironed out for the inevitable sequel, but for now we're more than happy with this, one of the best PlayStation 3 exclusives to date.

Presentation[/b]on

The comic book art blends with the game world effortlessly, helping create a style that's one of the game's biggest triumphs.

Graphicscs

Cole's animations and powers impress, as does Empire City, but an inconsistent frame rate occasionally spoils the party.

Soundnd

The subsonic roar of an electricity bolt is excellent on the right set-up, and the score is fitting, if a little anonymous.

Gameplayay

No game gives quite the sense of power that Infamous does, and its backed up by some supreme platforming.

Lasting Appealal

Once the story concludes, the city remains open for exploration - and there's enough diversions to keep players going beyond the campaign's liberal running time.

9.0 OutstanOVERALLLL

(out of 10 / not an average)

Source: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/981/981887p2.html

8.5 Graphics

The city looks great with its destroyed buildings and people dying in the streets. Cole's powers dazzle at times, but there is some pop-in, repetitive environments, and framerate dips.

LOLOLOL S?RX SKIP!!!1

;))

8.5 Graphics

The city looks great with its destroyed buildings and people dying in the streets. Cole's powers dazzle at times, but there is some pop-in, repetitive environments, and framerate dips.

LOLOLOL S?RX SKIP!!!1

;))

*Ahem*

Plenty of games have rough edges, yet they are still immensely popular. Even some of the most successful games of this generation has some major graphical flaws which made communities grab their pitchforks ( Dithered shadows in GTA IV, for an example ) but the games still sold, people still play the games and the developers still rake in the dough. If a developer is a bit too oversensitive to criticism and decides to iron everything out, it's their own fault - Don't start blaming fanbases, critics or online comparisons for that.

Focus on gameplay, graphical perception and stop nitpicking your games, that usually ends bad.

:rofl::

It was a joke based on what I've previously said, like you just quoted.

Obviously "LOLOL S?RX SKIP!!!1" sounded serious.:||

I'm just pulling your leg, hence my upside down face with sticky out tongue:rofl::

Crappy way of pulling legs, because that seems to be exactly how you post 'seriously' as well, so it does get confusing. ;)

Part of the fun (Y) :p

GameInformer review is a 9, won game of the month over Punchout which also got 9/10. Scans as I can get them (it's a mag)

Really looking forward to this game for sure... Actually thinking of seeing if I can pull one of my "advanced" copy moves at either best Buy or Target. :rofl:

For people interested in the length of the game, from Sucker Punch themselves:

INFAMOUS TO BE 15-25 HOURS LONG

Sucker Punch's Chris Zimmerman reveals how long it will take to electrify the world.

Sucker Punch's Chris Zimmerman has today revealed that inFamous will take anytime from 15-25 hours to complete.

Zimmerman said that people who will be wishing to get through the game as fast as possible and who are experianced gamers will get through the game at around 15 hours. Yet people who are interested in completimg small side missions, it could take up to 25 hours for them.

Zimmerman said "It depends on how you decide to play it," he said, adding, "If you play straight through as fast as you can, maybe 15 hours."

"In addition to the 35 stories in the game, we have 100 side missions, and we have a whole bunch of collectibles to pick up," explained Zimmerman. "If you do all that stuff, we're [talking] 20-25 hours, maybe." adds Zimmerman.

inFamous will be released in north America on May 21st and Europe on May 29th. The game will also come with the Uncharted 2 Multiplayer Beta if you pre-order from certain retailers.

Source: http://www.gamingfront.net/news/617/infamo...525-hours-long/

That 9.2 from IGN is no joke - after playing the demo, I think they're right on money with their comments about this being one of the best PS3 exclusives out there. Granted, you knew they were going to give inFamous a pretty solid score when they went so fanboyish as to build a sweet inFamous "Destination Hub" at IGN, but still, a 9.2 solidly positions inFamous as a Game of the Year contender - that's right between the scores for Uncharted and MGS4.

Not bad at all - can't wait to play the full game in a couple of weeks!

I can't believe not 1 person on Neowin has a code to share.

CURSE YOU ALL! *shakes fist*

And for those that redeemed their codes on their main account, next time, redeem it on a fake account and share :p