[Official] Forza 3

The contradictions are all over the place in this post.

You seem to know exactly what GT5 is like then finish the post with

So how do you know everything about GT5 in your first 4 paragraphs?

You guys are really digging holes over this whole GT5/Forza 3 scenario.

He's right. Have you not seen any trailers or screenshots, the gt5 roads are pretty detailed, included the dirt tracks which looks absolutely amazing. How are you guys sitting there and already claiming it's a better game and that it looks better when NONE of you have played it. If you look at further GT5 videos and screenshots you see that their is details in the under layings of the car.

and this one which shows the details of the enviroment

image2xxj.jpg

everything you say that is not detailed, looks absolutely stunning. I am not saying forza doesn't look amazing, it does. But saying otherwise about GT5 is just fanboyism. I agree though, that tyre deformation would be great for gt5, but we don't know if it has it or not (probably not because nothing has been mentioned).

sunglasses.jpg

look at the details of this picture.... i haven't seen pictures of forza where you see the driver like that. I just don't get where you get all of this know how knowledge from no where, because none of us will know about anything until both games are actually released.

LOL.. obviously a statement from a non-technical person.

I take deep offence to that. :( Sure, the graphics are better on the 360 (which is the only time ATi beat NVIDIA :p ), but I think the CPU makes a hell of a lot of difference. Both of them are clocked at 3.2GHz, but the 360 has three of them, and the PS3 has seven of them; surely that has to be worth something!

And the whole nearing peak statement is funny :) 360 has a lot of juice in it. We thought Gears of War 2 was awesome and now we see Forza 3 that obviously matches and outmatches visually anything that we've seen so far.

Wait, Gears of War 2 wasn't awesome. It was just a re-hash of the first game (and I own ((and have completed)) both, so don't assume I haven't played them).

And the whole nearing peak statement is funny :) 360 has a lot of juice in it. We thought Gears of War 2 was awesome and now we see Forza 3 that obviously matches and outmatches visually anything that we've seen so far.

how could you possibly know that when the second leading video game developers says the complete opposite?

There are GT5 videos from E3, and then there's GT5P which IS GT5. unless you think they went and remodelled the tracks and changed the models and textures to entirely new ones since then. ... Well they have had the time, after all, Turn 10 has made an entire new game in the meantime ;)

Oh dear...

Any neutrals reading this topic will be wondering why you were pointing the finger at me for having no "objectivity".

Don't even pretend as a hardcore gamer either you don't know how game engines can be improved, especially over a period of two years. Heck Killzone 2 over a period of a few months had quite a bump in lighting.

As you said games can be MADE in 2 years, yet somehow a developer like PD can't improve their engine... I may remind you they were outputting at 1080p/60FPS with 16 cars in prologue in 2007. I don't think PD need to prove their technical abilities, we've seen them through the whole GT franchise. I suggest you look at GT PSP videos also, it's clearly one of the best looking games on the PSP.

What does all that mean? Nothing much till we actually see GT5, it's just a little reminder about PD's past on the technical side as I cannot really understand the flood of "GT5 = GT5P" coming from some of you.

Edited by Audioboxer

Oh dear...

Any neutrals reading this topic will be wondering why you were pointing the finger at me for having no "objectivity".

Don't even pretend as a hardcore gamer either you don't know how game engines can be improved, especially over a period of two years. Heck Killzone 2 over a period of a few months had quite a bump in lighting.

exactly, that's like comparing the unreal 3 engine that the original gears used to the one gears 2 and unreal tournament 4 is using, their is a huge improvement in the last three years on that engine. Even the source engine (valve) is still the same old engine from the original hl2 days, but still have been upgraded to support multi-core, new lighting effects, new textures etc etc. Two years for a game engine to improve is a lot of time.

I am going to say an epic one liner.

" When I get on the track., my car is going sideways.. ;D Drifting 4 Life!" :D

although I wonder how the smoke is in the game..

Graphics wise, there is no doubt that GT5 will take the cake. However, Forza 3 will may have the upper edge as far as gameplay and handling go.

He's right. Have you not seen any trailers or screenshots, the gt5 roads are pretty detailed, included the dirt tracks which looks absolutely amazing. How are you guys sitting there and already claiming it's a better game and that it looks better when NONE of you have played it. If you look at further GT5 videos and screenshots you see that their is details in the under layings of the car.

and this one which shows the details of the enviroment

image2xxj.jpg

everything you say that is not detailed, looks absolutely stunning. I am not saying forza doesn't look amazing, it does. But saying otherwise about GT5 is just fanboyism. I agree though, that tyre deformation would be great for gt5, but we don't know if it has it or not (probably not because nothing has been mentioned).

sunglasses.jpg

look at the details of this picture.... i haven't seen pictures of forza where you see the driver like that. I just don't get where you get all of this know how knowledge from no where, because none of us will know about anything until both games are actually released.

Well Forza has had drivers since the first version, but they usually have helmets. and they have had videos that show both drivers through windshields and the excellently modelled drivers from the drivers position..

as for the other screenshot, Another screenshot that showcases the horrible cheating they do on buildings, they don't even bumpmap or normalmap, they are all "hard" textured, the shadows and "structures" of the buildings like the stones, are all plain texture maps with no bump, normal or parallax mapping. Same with the road surface, it's flat textured, there's no trace of bump mapping much less normal mapping on it.

Sure it looks good, in so far as it has a photo patchwork look to it, everything looks like it's different photos pasted together, and outside of the cars stuff don't have any real "texture" to them. it's a lot more obvious when things move than in the screenshots though.

I take deep offence to that. :( Sure, the graphics are better on the 360 (which is the only time ATi beat NVIDIA :p ), but I think the CPU makes a hell of a lot of difference. Both of them are clocked at 3.2GHz, but the 360 has three of them, and the PS3 has seven of them; surely that has to be worth something!

If you're going to post a comeback to prove you know what you're talking about, it helps if you actually do.

The PS3 has ONE full core, and 7 SPE's. The One full core is basically a traffic hub, directing traffic to the SPE's or "half" cores. They are simplified limited cores that cannot do everythign a regular core can. BEcause they are simplifed and designed with a certain architecture however they can do some stuff VERY fast, while other stuff they do VERY slowly.

the calculations used in physics for example it's very good at. Wich is probably why they originally thought it would be an awesome graphics powerhouse and they wouldn't need a graphics card on the PS3... yeah, that failed hard. While they can do certain elements of a graphics card decently, they aren't that good and not nearly as powerful as a regular graphics card.

The 360 has 3 full customized Power 5 cores (not powerPC, powerPC is a lesser version of the plain power CPU). each one capable of 2 "threads"

These cores all handle their own data traffic and all that themselves. In this way you can dedicate one core to AI and one core to physics and they won't interfere with each other. The 360 CPU is essentially slightly less powerful than the Cell. actually in certain operations it's more poweful, but on average it's less so. but the graphics card is more powerful.

To offset this unbalance, the PS3 can use the Cell to offload some of the graphics processing. This isn't really an optimal solution, since it takes processing power away form other things, and the traffic hub Core will have to deal with this extra traffic to organize. this can increase the PS3, to approximately the graphics power of the 360, BUT it reduces the power of the Cell to at least that of the 360 as well.

That doesn't at all touch on the inefficient memory architecture/design on the PS3 but they can mostly work around that as well (There's a lot of workarounds needed on this thing).

So in effect, the machines are equal.

Wait, Gears of War 2 wasn't awesome. It was just a re-hash of the first game (and I own ((and have completed)) both, so don't assume I haven't played them).

It would us assume if you actually sounded like you had actually played either one of them. you can argue you don't like the story or gameplay all you want. but if you want to be taken seriusly, you have to at least sound like you have at leats seen someone play the games.

It would us assume if you actually sounded like you had actually played either one of them. you can argue you don't like the story or gameplay all you want. but if you want to be taken seriusly, you have to at least sound like you have at leats seen someone play the games.

Your argument was sounding good until that last paragraph where it looks like your spellchecker broke down. :p

I'll admit I don't know as much of the consoles' CPUs as you do; I just read somewhere that the 360 was tri-core, and the PS3 was 7-core, and it looks like it was wrong on the PS3 front.

8 race cars on track confirmed by Dan G from Turn 10 in an interview with VideoGamer in both single and multiplayer. Interesting interview overall.

VideoGamer.com: What's the maximum number of cars you'll be able to have in a race?

DG: Eight cars in a race.

VideoGamer.com: Are you going for the same number online?

DG: Same number online.

VideoGamer.com: There seems to be this thing about how many cars can be in an online race. Is there a sweet spot? Is eight enough? How does it change the dynamic of the game the higher or lower you go?

DG: It's actually a really, really good question and something I've wrestled with quite a bit. There's a fundamental design change you have to do when you go to more than around six to eight cars. Six to eight is really the sweet spot in the classical design of a racing game. Classical design of a racing game is first place is good, second place is not. It's minor. Second place is the first loser. In real motorsport obviously that's not the case. In real motorsport second place can be fantastic. But it's just the way people are. And then when you build a risk reward system in a game and you always pay out number one more than number two, you're telling people you should always restart if you got number two. So what it's really making is kind of a two-man race and all the other cars are just fodder. You need to make a design shift if you want to go to more. You need to make it so we want you to come in 12th place in this race. And if you come in 11th place, we're not even going to reward you more, because if you did reward them more they're going to try and get 11th and they're going to think 12th is not good enough. Some of the NASCAR games have done this, where they've got 30-something cars on track and it's like beat Jeff Gordon. Then the AI Jeff Gordon comes in 12th place and they're not going to pay you anymore for coming in higher, it just doesn't matter. That's a really good way of doing it. Now online is a really interesting one. Everyone says they want to do more cars online. I've got in really big races online?

Edited by Boz

Unfortunately it has been stated that Forza 3 won't have day/night cycles and weather. A bit dissapointing but they explained it that they did put it in and it caused people to steer off into grass and off the track a lot when driving in rain, so I guess they can do it but it's a choice not to.. Don't know why though.. they might as well have the option to turn weather / rain on and off in the game and solve it that way.

I'm kind of getting a bit dissapointed so far with the news coming out. 8 cars, no weather, no day/night cycles (Forza 2 had night).

They did say they will be showcasing new customization engine closer to release so I'm really hoping that looks super awesome. I would really love for them to integrate body-sculpting feature for the cars that would basically allow us to create unlimited number of cars (versions) that would be unique (like bumper editor, body/widebody sculpting etc).

@Boz:

I don't think Forza 2 had night did it?

anyway I am not really bothered by it anyway or any features you mentioned that aren't in the game...

In fact, after seeing those new screenshots, I think I have forgotten what features you were talking about.

@Boz:

I don't think Forza 2 had night did it?

anyway I am not really bothered by it anyway or any features you mentioned that aren't in the game...

In fact, after seeing those new screenshots, I think I have forgotten what features you were talking about.

no, it was day only. PGR had day/night cycles, where ti would actually changed dynamically during the race.

I think that's what they are referring to anyway since you used cycles, which may mean there will be weather but not weather cycles. like in PGR where you will start out dry then rain during the race and then it can dry up again leaving puddles.

anyway the only reason I ever dry in rain is because of the PGR4 rain graphics. race wise, dry is the way to go.

no, it was day only. PGR had day/night cycles, where ti would actually changed dynamically during the race.

I think that's what they are referring to anyway since you used cycles, which may mean there will be weather but not weather cycles. like in PGR where you will start out dry then rain during the race and then it can dry up again leaving puddles.

anyway the only reason I ever dry in rain is because of the PGR4 rain graphics. race wise, dry is the way to go.

My bad.. you are right I don't think Forza 2 had night.. I was thinking PGR4.