Bing Is No. 2 in Search, Yahoo Down, Google Next

Key word here is *Forced* Please look up that definition before responding to my lol @ being forced to comment :D

Being done without your permission is the very definition of forced. So yes in essence you are FORCED in sending your data to Google. So go ahead and please look up the definition yourself, hot shot.

Nothing I said was wrong.

No one used Live for search and Bing, today, is only slightly higher than nothing. And that's with an $80 million dollar ad campaign supporting it right now. Once the campaign goes away, so will Bing. Technology of other companies will surpass it just as it has passed Microsoft overall. (In case anyone missed it, 3 years ago I said Microsoft doesn't matter anymore.)

Some people used Live Search, just not very many. The reason why not many people used Live Search is because it just wasn't that good - simple as. Much of the functionality was the same as Bing but Bing has also added a whole wealth of technology and functionality on top of that, as well as enhancing it's relevancy and interface. Live Search had an awful homepage; whilst less minimal than Google, I actually think Google's didn't look as ugly. Now, Bing looks beautiful and functions very well, so it won't fail.

It may not beat Google, but it won't fail as a search engine because it just works and works well. Hopefully it will beat Yahoo! in time and then be on it's way to beating Google, but it takes time. It takes time to beat a competitor in anything - these things don't just happen overnight like it seems you expect. If you read the article I linked to, it states that Bing's market share is slowly rising :) Hopefully it's not just because of the market share; hopefully it's because people are trying it out and enjoying using it, but time will tell.

Not only does it take time to beat the competition but it also takes time for users to adjust and change their searching habits. Search engines are one of the most used web services by individuals, so it will take time to adjust. I still typed in 'google.com' for a good few days after I switched to Bing and had to keep changing the URL to 'bing.com' each time - I did that automatically because I was used to Google. Now, though, I go straight to Bing as I am used to the transition.

I stress again, Bing is far from dead :)

Being done without your permission is the very definition of forced. So yes in essence you are FORCED in sending your data to Google. So go ahead and please look up the definition yourself, hot shot.

I have to disagree. Being done without your permission is deceitful, but not forced. Forced would be if they made you use their search engine and didn't let you use another search engine, taking your details at the same time. You are not forced, because you can stop them from taking your details by using another search engine :)

Bing is far from dead ;)

I should hope so, after the billions MS has lost on MSN-Live-Bing.com. With that much funding behind it, it would be an epic disaster if they couldn't get it past 10% marketshare.

Now I wonder how long it will be before Google and Yahoo add the same pr0n video preview feature that has been driving the interest in Bing so far? I'm not knocking the feature at all, I just don't think it is a substitute for Google's more comprehensive search results.

I've used Google forever and now find myself using bing more and more. I tried to use Live Search before but it seemed to irritate me, why bing doesn't? idk. Does the name sound stupid and child-like? yes. Am I going to keep using it? hell yeah.

The live video is so full of win.

it does control around 90% of the market in operating systems
That's desktop operating systems and not operating systems overall. In that market I would guess it's less than 25%.
and over 75% of the market in word processing software.
I'm doubting that number, too, but you may be right.
With Google litterally every where you turn on the web, you are forced to submit data to Google. Many sites use Google to power their search engine on their own web page, so you are forced to use Google almost daily.
But a monopoly must not only control a market but also prevent or limit entry by competitors into that market. Also, submitting a search query is not what I would call forced submission of data. That's how these tools work and can't in any other way.

I should hope so, after the billions MS has lost on MSN-Live-Bing.com. With that much funding behind it, it would be an epic disaster if they couldn't get it past 10% marketshare.

Time will tell, but, for me, it is the best search engine out there and more advanced over Google with the PowerSet technology behind it and the beautiful interface, so if it doesn't get over 10% market share then it means users haven't given it a fair chance. It would be the only explanation. As with operating systems, there is an immense bias amongst some users, when it comes to search engines - even if they will like another search engine and find it more useful than their current one, they won't try the new one out and give it a fair chance. They may play with it, but they won't consider the benefits with an open mind. The same is the case for some people who state that they exclusively love Windows and Mac OS X is a rubbish operating system.

Some of these may have given the other a chance and decided it wasn't for them; others are just being completely biased.

Now I wonder how long it will be before Google and Yahoo add the same pr0n video preview feature that has been driving the interest in Bing so far? I'm not knocking the feature at all, I just don't think it is a substitute for Google's more comprehensive search results.

I agree that the video preview feature, whilst nice, is not a substitute for comprehensive search results; however, it is a very nice feature to go hand-in hand with the more comprehensive search results which Bing has over Google :)

One thing I can't live without is Google's embedded calculators and dictionaries in the search engine

Sometimes I need to do silly things, like convert metric to imperial units or whatnot, so I don't need to find a website to do the conversions.

I have to disagree. Being done without your permission is deceitful, but not forced. Forced would be if they made you use their search engine and didn't let you use another search engine, taking your details at the same time. You are not forced, because you can stop them from taking your details by using another search engine :)

You don't have to use Google as your search engine for them to track you. Many sites use Google services to track your movements, even if you don't use any Google products. Google also owns Doubleclick and other advertising services and it builds a huge data base with all the info collected by these different services. Their tentacles are in almost all places on the web now so you are submitting data back to Google, even with Bing as your search engine.

Now, when did you ever give all these sites permission ot use Google services to track you? I know I don't sign a EULA at each site I visit giving up my privacy. That is why I always suggest blocking third party cookies. It stops most of that type of tracking cold in it's tracks.

And that links backs up what I said is something being done to you (collecting your personal info without your consent) with out your explicit permisson is being FORCED upon you.

enforced or compulsory

Both are true about how sites and Google collects your data. It is both enforced and compulsory, meaning they don't ask your permission and they require it as part of a visit to thier sites.

Time will tell, but, for me, it is the best search engine out there and more advanced over Google with the PowerSet technology behind it and the beautiful interface, so if it doesn't get over 10% market share then it means users haven't given it a fair chance.

Users don't like change. It has to be something really, really, that much better, good before people will change. It doesn't matter if we are talking search engines, OSes, whatever.

One thing I can't live without is Google's embedded calculators and dictionaries in the search engine

Sometimes I need to do silly things, like convert metric to imperial units or whatnot, so I don't need to find a website to do the conversions.

Bing does definitions, calculations and conversions too. Perhaps not everything google offers, but all of the ones I've tried - which don't work?

It's new, just wait and Google will be top dog in the park again.

It still is, by a huge margin. Are you bothering to read the thread?

That's desktop operating systems and not operating systems overall. In that market I would guess it's less than 25%.

Ahahahaha. *wipes eye* .... Seriously? You think Windows has less than a 25% share overall? What the heck are all these other PCs running?

Please tell me you're not suggesting including electronic devices like DVD drives, aeroplane systems?

i haven't stopped using bing since it's release, i love it. the search results are leaving google in it's dust!

the name (bing) rocks! what is a 'google' anyhow? isn't that the sound someone makes when your chocking them? "google google ahkk"

lol!

Wow, I never used Live Search because I found it slow and didn't care for some of the results. But Bing on the other hand is lightning fast (even faster than Google to me it seems) and the results are pretty spot on. Plus, I love the new design as well.

I might just switch to using Bing as my default homepage soon :)

I think all major search engines do that, nothing special.