iPhone 3.0 Firmware Leaked

^ You can also double tap to bring it up. Don't forget to shake it to bring up the Undo menu, that one is often forgotten.

You are blind, GM mean Gold Master = Final Release, research before you comment in something you don't know.

There's still several little bugs, the status indicator for one which glitches instead of spinning smoothly. While it's the near final version I expect the final version will have a slightly newer build number. This software is digital only they don't need to finalize it weeks ahead of schedule for duplication. And would it kill you do be a little more polite? He didn't ask to be insulted.

^ You can also double tap to bring it up. Don't forget to shake it to bring up the Undo menu, that one is often forgotten.

There's still several little bugs, the status indicator for one which glitches instead of spinning smoothly. While it's the near final version I expect the final version will have a slightly newer build number. This software is digital only they don't need to finalize it weeks ahead of schedule for duplication. And would it kill you do be a little more polite? He didn't ask to be insulted.

They do have to finalize it so it can be installed on the new iPhones.

um, how do I actually install this?

I've downloaded it, and haven't got a clue how to get the thing on my iPod touch; I thought i'd best try it on that before I even attempt to go anywhere near my iPhone with it.

Clicking the icon on the desktop just opens iTunes and I'm just left feeling stupid. I'm on a mac.

um, how do I actually install this?

I've downloaded it, and haven't got a clue how to get the thing on my iPod touch; I thought i'd best try it on that before I even attempt to go anywhere near my iPhone with it.

Clicking the icon on the desktop just opens iTunes and I'm just left feeling stupid. I'm on a mac.

okay, is it the firmware for your iPod touch?

http://m.gizmodo.com/site?sid=gizmodoip&am...Gizmodo-5285936

use this to see if it's the right one.

If it is, you have to option click the restore button in iTunes. Then select the file. You can use a backup to recover your settings.

If it is, you have to option click the restore button in iTunes. Then select the file. You can use a backup to recover your settings.

Just a note - instead of doing a Restore, I simply held shift down while clicking 'Check for Update' in iTunes and then browsed to the ipsw file. It upgraded my iPhone and preserved all of my settings, no need to backup then restore.

Yes, it is, unless a showstopping bug is found. Please, don't spread rumors. GM is the final version, with Developer checks still in place.

Same thing.

Kkthx, bai.

Actually, I think you should check your facts. GM is like the most recent leaked build of Windows 7. Sure it might not change much "unless a showstopping bug is found", but you and I both know the bits will change in the final, even if ever so slightly. So let's try not to "spread rumors" ;)

I do hope this is NOT the final release, despite it being the GM build... I've found numerous bugs and glitches when I've been using it, it still feels like it needs a week or so of work :(

Please, see my screenshot.

What happened to the percentage indicator by the battery meter? Looks as though they got rid of it.

It never existed, unless you had it there on 2.2.1 and then upgraded

Actually, I think you should check your facts. GM is like the most recent leaked build of Windows 7. Sure it might not change much "unless a showstopping bug is found", but you and I both know the bits will change in the final, even if ever so slightly. So let's try not to "spread rumors" :wink:

again, please see screenshot. I am a developer, I know these things. Unless you are a developer, I know a bit more then you, so let's try not to "spread rumors" :wink:

post-271966-1244759770_thumb.png

from screenshot thats proof that you cant revert to an older o.s when using the GM seed, i'm definately waiting till the 17th! v2.2.1 for my ipod touch v1 is still pretty good tho, lets hope they bring out an ipod touch 3gs soon, would like 1 of those very much.

Please, see my screenshot.

It never existed, unless you had it there on 2.2.1 and then upgraded

again, please see screenshot. I am a developer, I know these things. Unless you are a developer, I know a bit more then you, so let's try not to "spread rumors" :wink:

The whole "I'm a dev, therefore I'm smarter than all" argument doesn't fly with me. If it were the final release, why is apple still calling it 3.0 GM and not just 3.0? I'm not saying I'm smarter than you, I just don't like believing something just because some dev said so. For all you know, I could be a dev haha.

And as for the whole battery meter "never existed" statement, please see MY screenshot.

1ef93_apple3shots3.jpg

PS. It wouldn't hurt to ease up on the attitude as well; let's keep Neowin a pleasant community :)

Wow way to sound like an ******* lol

I'm a developer too, don't hear me bragging about being all knowing. GM doesn't mean its completely finalized, otherwise it would just be called iPhone OS 3.0. There are still some outstanding bugs and a few new ones that weren't in the previous builds. Just because you've mastered the art of reading doesn't mean you know it's the final build. Besides the new iPhone's won't be released until mid next week so they still have time to tweak the software as much as they want. Come next week and the build number doesn't change at all, I'll bite my tongue. But currently you don't know any more than anyone else, so quit acting like you do.

Cpenner, you said it a little nicer than I did :p I didn't want to get into the whole battery meter either but it was available in several of the earlier builds of 3.0. I guess being a developer doesn't mean he actually tests the software like ahem.. some of us others do.

Thank you for that distinction - as a developer I was actually aware of this but it's always nice to get ones feet on the ground.

I was under the impression that anything that was deemed illegal under the DMCA was not allowed on Neowin. I must have been wrong.

That's the way it used to be, now EVERYTHING is free game.

After the discussion in this thread I decided to give it ago. But people are saying your phone will remain unlocked but mine hasnt. It keeps saying the sim isnt valid. Yet T-mobile is in the top left corner. But all I get is the slide for emergency calls :\

The whole "I'm a dev, therefore I'm smarter than all" argument doesn't fly with me. If it were the final release, why is apple still calling it 3.0 GM and not just 3.0? I'm not saying I'm smarter than you, I just don't like believing something just because some dev said so. For all you know, I could be a dev haha.

And as for the whole battery meter "never existed" statement, please see MY screenshot.

1ef93_apple3shots3.jpg

PS. It wouldn't hurt to ease up on the attitude as well; let's keep Neowin a pleasant community :)

Why don't I have that option on my phone? :s Using 3.0 btw.

Why don't I have that option on my phone? :s Using 3.0 btw.

During the betas, I had to edit a .plist file to enable it. I'm not saying Apple didn't remove it, I'm merely disproving that it never existed. It's quite possible Apple has dropped this feature from the GM. I'm not sure why they would though; it's a cool feature, what does Apple possibly gain from getting rid of it?

I just got it off the internets, quick download (from the site). Did a backup of my content/settings, I was basically done inside of 20 minutes. The down side is that I have to reload all of my media, but this is a good catalyst for cleaning up my playlists, as well as archiving some photos that I no longer need.

Woot!

During the betas, I had to edit a .plist file to enable it. It's quite possible Apple has dropped this feature from the GM, I'm not sure why they would though. I'm not saying Apple didn't remove it, I'm merely disproving that it never existed.

They should have included that option in the retail firmwares as I know many people wanted it but maybe Apple was scarred people would realize how fast the battery was draining when playing games or just making phone calls since it is so much easier with an actual number % rather then just the green bar.

They should have included that option in the retail firmwares as I know many people wanted it but maybe Apple was scarred people would realize how fast the battery was draining when playing games or just making phone calls since it is so much easier with an actual number % rather then just the green bar.

Yea, I thought of that, but then I thought, "really? would that actually be the reason?" haha :p

I can't access the Web since updating.

I get the "Could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service" message.

I have reset my network settings and that hasn't fixed it either.

I get the 'O2-UK' and '3G' symbols appear on the upper left side of the screen.

Any ideas? I'm on O2 UK.

Even though free is good. I honestly don't mind paying the 'Apple Tax' on this. Mainly because the update will keep my Apps/Settings etc. rather than having to restore from the ipsw.

Also I don't care about Jailbreak anymore, I only used it for themes and I have grown bored of that now.

Eh? as everyone else has said, you just backup your iPhone/Touch and do a restore using that firmware and restore your settings, it's that simple :)

I've never bothered jailbreaking my Touch 1G, I just never saw the point as it does what I need it to, that's just me though.