Aion Online

i am aware of the future patch, i will try the game again after that

The endgame looks like easymode regardless, those bosses even fighting back?

as for sept sales, there wasnt a whole lot of competition, and that was pre-order time. Right after release it sunk. Thats how most games are. Borderlands is currently #1 now and its not even out for PC yet. A games success is if it maintains good sales after release. My friends playing say the starting areas are virtually empty on the 2 servers they play on, indicating new players are not coming to the game. People are dropping though fast in the 23-25 range though.

As for your abyss comment, the abyss is a big part of post lvl 25 levelling, if you cant go anywhere without someone 10+ levels higher than you killing you, theres a prob. And with the way this game is made, there will be non stop ppl patrolling around murdering lower levels. This will further put a bad taste into peoples mouths. A successful MMO attracts casual players to fund it, and Aion seems only appealing only to the hardcore players that live and breathe the game from their parents basement. Theres nothing a casual can get out of aion. Im a mix of hardcore/casual, i was in a top ranked guild for a long time but we somehow didnt play even half as much as the people below us, and i can safely say aion's design requires you to have no life

The abyss is a pvp area, I don't know what you were expecting or what you want to get out of it. The only thing I've really done in the abyss is the training camp instance, and you don't even need to leave Reshanta town to do that. Beyond that, I go out in the abyss to look to gank people, and the lower they are the better. My goal in the abyss is to ruin other peoples day like they in turn ruined mine when I was trying to quest there. It's a pvp area.. I can't say that enough.

I honestly think people who came to this game and have quit already didn't do any research on the game to figure out what it was about. Maybe I'm immune to it because I've been following the game for more than two years, I really don't know. It just seems people came to this game expecting to be able to have an easy street to max level and be there in a few short weeks. I'm by no means a hardcore player but I enjoy the game for what it is. You don't need to be hardcore to play. My entire legion is like this too, 50+ people. Hell, my legion leader is only 28 as of yesterday. Of course we have 3 or 4 people who have played more and are 40+ but most people in the legion are now in the 28-35 range. Being a casual legion and not max level yet we schedule weekly pvp in the abyss for fortress attacking/defending and artifact hunting for Sundays, but that will change when we're higher. So I really don't get your comments saying you need to be hardcore to play.

The abyss is a pvp area, I don't know what you were expecting or what you want to get out of it. The only thing I've really done in the abyss is the training camp instance, and you don't even need to leave Reshanta town to do that. Beyond that, I go out in the abyss to look to gank people, and the lower they are the better. My goal in the abyss is to ruin other peoples day like they in turn ruined mine when I was trying to quest there. It's a pvp area.. I can't say that enough.

I honestly think people who came to this game and have quit already didn't do any research on the game to figure out what it was about. Maybe I'm immune to it because I've been following the game for more than two years, I really don't know. It just seems people came to this game expecting to be able to have an easy street to max level and be there in a few short weeks. I'm by no means a hardcore player but I enjoy the game for what it is. You don't need to be hardcore to play. My entire legion is like this too, 50+ people. Hell, my legion leader is only 28 as of yesterday. Of course we have 3 or 4 people who have played more and are 40+ but most people in the legion are now in the 28-35 range. Being a casual legion and not max level yet we schedule weekly pvp in the abyss for fortress attacking/defending and artifact hunting for Sundays, but that will change when we're higher. So I really don't get your comments saying you need to be hardcore to play.

I think people who read NCsoft's ad's about this game are feeling cheated. Like i said they advertised the game like it was a WoW clone. People who played WoW are used to an entertaining levelling curve(NOT AN EASY ONE). Levelling in BC Was fun, levelling in WOTLK was amazing. Levelling in Aion is worse than vanilla WoW(i didnt have to grind more than 5 levels in vanilla WoW from 42-46ish, and i did ZF for that). People dont like a game where suddenly theres a lack of content, and you gotta do what a bot can do while you have fun elsewhere). I never understood WHY people defend MMO's that lack content so badly, its like they want games to be released at a lower quality. It just doesnt make any sense to me. None the less, im gonna play when all my other games bore me(which is often lately since there arent many quality games fitting my genres right now until borderlands i think).

As for the PVP, i enjoy PVP that takes skill. Arenas in BC(WoW) were fun, ganking a low level is mashing a few buttons and sitting there pretending your skilled. Being ganked by a higher lvl, just as pointless. At higher level im sure Aion's pvp is amazing(not many mmo's get pvp right), but theyre gonna alienate new players with this

I think though aside from the horrid levelling curve, after playing other MMO's for years now, aion has brought nothing new and exciting to the table, and that could be what drives me away from it.

So after playing since the preorder head start, all I can say is that this game is far from what I expected. Yes, it has good graphics, a nice sound track and amazing character creating system. But if you move past these things and you will end up with an average-bellow average mmorpg. Even with good graphics, in the cinematics some of the npc's don't move their mouths and when you fly, at least on female characters you can see transparent gaps in the body from the right angle which hapens quite often.

The questing system is pretty linear and absolutely nothing special, except for the part that they are mostly designed for nobrainers and are rather 10 quests recycled over and over again. Most of the times the reward they offer is insignificant and for those that have good rewards you have to grind a lot and in the end you will end up dying a lot of times. And to add more flavour to this, the price that you have to pay for leveling becomes insanely high in the higher levels. Add the lag and other issues to this and it becomes really annoying. In the end I ended up dying because of the games issues. And I had to grind several hours just to recover my lost experience. Sometimes I died even then,and guess what, none of this was my fault.

The game mechanics can also be exhasperating. I really "like" it how monsters still deliver their attack if they start attacking you even if you ran in the meantime miles away from them. So forget about trying yo escape from monsters with a slim line of health, because they will still kill you most of the times. In the "abyss", sad excuse of a pvp area, if you fall like 5 metres you will die, even if you don't hit anything. Was it that hard to add a barrier at the bottom of the game world, only killing you if you go beyound that barrier. There are probably more, but I don't seem to remember them right now.

Even if it has a beautifull,splendid soundtrack and graphics, you will still get bored to death from them , seeing them for hours at a time when you grind.

On to the flying part. Well, 95% of the time, no 98% of the time you will stay on the ground. And you will be happy just doing that. Why? Because flight time is very limited and if you fly far away from safe ground, you will end up dead. This is something pretty common in the "abyss". Add the fact that you can fly only in certain areas limited in number and flying becomes a joke.

The pvp part is as close to average as it can get. The skills are pretty much standard in mmo's and so is the system. You click the targert and press the magic button, and you cast a flashy spell or do a flashy attack on your target. It adds chain skills, but each class has around 2-3 of them and the principle in still the same. Ohh,yeah, they also added "stigma" skills to vary the way you can play your class. So far the only thing I noticed is that it adds a little class diversity and that's about it. They are expensive as hell, you can only have a limited number you stigma skills and they don't level up like your standard skills. I didn't find pvp requiring that much skill, probably of my guild wars background. The one that has the faster reflexes is pretty much the winner.

The fortresses sounded really amazing at first untill I actually played in a fortress siege. There was a lot of lag so you can forget about smart tactics. Servers have started to get "specialized", meaning that if you want your race to own,then go on the following servers and so on... A fortress has different states, vulnerable, invulnerable, and your race can atempt to conquer one or defend it if it's vulnerable. Everything I've seen so far was badly disorganized and in the end the guild with the most brute force conquered the fortress. There were some exceptions to this, but they were so rare that they don't matter. I didn't see that many people actually caring about fortresses. Sometimes, the "balaur" , a computer driven race, tries to conquer the fortress succeding most of the time, thanks to the irational advantages they have. They don't have any sort of strategy. Conquering artefacts first don't count as tactic. The only time I saw them conquering a fortress, I got a loading screen after which my game client crashed. When I reloaded the game to my surprise, I found my character dead with lost experience to recover. Some of the advantages they have is teleportation, blow that go through walls and last but not least, a massive ship with deadly turrets. I predict that most of the people will just leave the fortress if the balaur start attacking. So it will come down to a simple,linear system: the dominating race on that server will have most if not all of the fortresses and when the balaur attack, they will always conquer it.

There are a lot of other annoying things in this game and so little innovating one, but I'm so bored of writting about them. So I will skip to the conclusion.

This game is average. There absolutely nothing special about it. Some parts are annoying, exhasperating to a degree. I fell ripped off. This isn't even close to what NC soft advertised it. I will most likely abandon this game after the free month and never come back to NC soft games. Some users might disagree with me but I wouldn't have written it if there wasn't even a grain of truth in all of this. Also I'm level 38 so you can't say that I didn't get to fully experience the game. It is made to impress at first glance but dissapoint later.

What I predict in the future is that most people will abandon this game. Those that will continue play it will eventually do around 1 or 2 things out of all the other stuff that you can do. It will become the pinnacle of linearity and mindless grinding with all of the developers efforts to offer many alternatives.

since when is Korean grind MMO a valid excuse for a game trying to enter the NA market and sucking horribly..i really dont get how anyone who has any standards can like this game. yes koreans love to grind, the rest of us want an interesting game that doesnt feel like slave labour

Aion is a failure, it will continue to slide downhill until its unheard of

Guild wars wasnt a HUGE success and its better than Aion by far, and GW was only popular cause it was free to play

As for that long post above, that summarizes the game, its what ive been saying all along. And at least someone else sees that NC LIED pretty hardcore about it all along the way, specially when they said 4500+ quests for fun levelling etc etc, there arent even 1000 total in the entire game.

There is NOTHING about this game that is unique or innovative. the PVP is plain button mash noob action, and the PVE content is just as awful(easier than vanilla WoW)

I got more play out of hellgate london, honestly...

On an upside, Torchlight and Borderlands are keepin my interests

so you visit the "pvp" area not because you want to pvp but because you're a griefing douchebag, you'll fit right in with the bots and gold farmers.

so you visit the "pvp" area not because you want to pvp but because you're a griefing douchebag, you'll fit right in with the bots and gold farmers.

the bots and gold farmers are probably most of the aion population right now

Yeah exactly. Because the roving bands of people there that go out of their way to camp the flight paths from our town exists are all level 25. Try experiencing it before you start calling people names, k? You want fair fights where every player is the same level..? There's a game that has that..Aion isn't it.

Also, you can't see enemy players levels. I'm not going to alt-tab and then go to the Characters & Legion page to see if someone is below my level. If it's red it's dead.

the bots and gold farmers are probably most of the aion population right now

I get you don't like the game, what I don't get is why you keep posting in a thread for a game you don't like. Normally I try to avoid anything that's related to something I don't like. *boggle*

Edited by trag3dy

Yeah exactly. Because the roving bands of people there that go out of their way to camp the flight paths from our town exists are all level 25. Try experiencing it before you start calling people names, k? You want fair fights where every player is the same level..? There's a game that has that..Aion isn't it.

Also, you can't see enemy players levels. I'm not going to alt-tab and then go to the Characters & Legion page to see if someone is below my level. If it's red it's dead.

I get you don't like the game, what I don't get is why you keep posting in a thread for a game you don't like. Normally I try to avoid anything that's related to something I don't like. *boggle*

Another bad thing about this game is that it encourages people to behave badly thanks to it's stupid mechanics. This is a game of pure ownage. Common sense tells me that games that do just that have little in common with real games and will most likely FAIL.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I still want to play this game for a month to see it but I dont want to pay $50 just to play for a month then quit. :p

To be honest the free trial is kind of a joke. It's to level 7, or 5 hours. Whichever comes first, hardly enough to know if you want to keep playing the game or not imo.

Personally I say the trial is a waste. Since you technically can't pick your class or really do anything till level 10 or pvp till about 25

To be honest the free trial is kind of a joke. It's to level 7, or 5 hours. Whichever comes first, hardly enough to know if you want to keep playing the game or not imo.

Trial, where?

Do they have a trial out yet? I went to their website and couldn't find anything. Only links to buy the game.

I wouldn't bother. The game is complete garbage. Totally did not live up to the hype.