Aion Online

Aion will during the next maintenance period receive a new update addressing a couple of common game and localization issues. We are right now focusing on getting rid of critical game bugs and polishing our French and German versions of the game. Keep reporting issues and bugs as you encounter them through the appropriate channels, and we will track them down and squash them as quickly as possible.

The patch is available for download via the NCsoft Launcher, and the patch size is at 5.3 MB. Head on over to the Aion PowerWiki if you want to get the complete rundown of improvements and fixes.

Source

Also, maintenance for this patch tonight / tomorrow morning:

We are bringing the servers down at 3 a.m. PDT (more), September 30, 2009 for maintenance. During this maintenance, we will apply the latest patch 1.5.0.8 across all North American and European servers.

The maintenance is expected to take roughly 2 hours.

Thank you for your patience!

Good news indeed. bman, did you ever get the issue you were having fixed? :huh:

I fixed it (well I guess not really) by adding Aion to my NOD32 exclusion list (which I don't think helped) and using SHIFT-F12 to hide people. So it's not really a fix, hopefully this update will help it for good.

Being that you're a WoW player, you should certainly know that starting a new character without any previous characters to help you means you're starting at the very bottom basically. That said, the armor prices on white quality items is certainly relative for the most part. Kinah is pretty easy to get in the game, even better later, and just like WoW though, you probably don't want to spend your money on vendor priced white quality gear. The first thing to do would be to check the AH, which you will see in Pandaemonium or Sanctum, depending on your faction as well as the next town you level around. You can easily level without buying new gear 1-10, even as a squishy (yet powerful) sorcerer or something. Usually, I find someone selling green quality items at reasonable prices via a Private Store throughout that level range though. I usually have between 15-20k by the time I'm level 9 or 10. Of course, remember to not spend that before you buy your level 10 skills.

There is also a bit of dependency on the server you've chosen. I'm on a smaller populated server, and prices in AH are quite high. This is both good and bad, as it makes it harder to get gear initially through the broker, but real easy to make money off of materials and gear you pick up on the way. High populated servers like Azphel (which I played on) have tons of gear up and quite low prices. Still, this makes it hard to make money selling even uncommon items when people are selling them for say... 100 kinah over vendor price. Really makes the whole point kind of questionable. There is also a decent aspect to the broker though: you can only sell 10 items at a time. While this may seem bad to the individual, this certainly helps prevent auction monopolization that exists on WoW, where the prices end up getting marked up to insane levels.

Gathering is a bit slow, but there's an abundant supply of nodes around and, while it does take time, at least you get XP from doing it, so it's not a total drag. Friend of mine spent a couple hours farming Aether, only to find himself level gaining 80% and leveling around level 12-13 or so. My biggest concern for gathering is that it's a bit too sensitive. Targeting someone while gathering for instance stops the process, which also sucks because you essentially lose that hit. :/

As for the CE items, they're not meant to be overpowering, but really just to help you out throughout leveling. Having a blue hat you can use at level 1 (which I'm still wearing at level 17 btw), earrings you can use at 20, and wings you can use at 30... Makes it a bit more useful throughout the game rather than just at one point or another. I do get what you're saying though in terms of appearance. Personally, I wish they chose a different color that purple for the dyes. Oh, and the cloak idea can't really be done I wouldn't think, since when you become part of a legion, you wear a cloak with your legion symbol much like Guild Wars. They look pretty damn cool too, by the way. ;)

-----

Right now, I'm pretty pumped about one single "feature" I guess you'd call it alone: THERE IS NO DURABILITY IN THIS GAME!! Seriously, for some reason, I just noticed this the other day and, as a healer, it makes me happy knowing that my tank isn't going to have a ridiculous repair bill while we blaze through a group of guys, do some quests that normally call for a "group", and such. Takes a lot of pressure off as a healer. :yes:

A couple things, the lvl 30 wing will save you over 1 million kinah plus you get 10 more seconds flight time than if you bought the million kinah wings. That to me is well worth it considering how much of a money sink the crafting system is in this game. Secondly is the thing about the durability vs paying the for soul healer. The cost over all is going to be about the same but at least with dying in aion you are less likely to die again because your armor doesnt break so that does give you a slight advantage. I still do think clerics need to be on their toes. With that much healing no one should ever die at least not the tank of course.

A couple things, the lvl 30 wing will save you over 1 million kinah plus you get 10 more seconds flight time than if you bought the million kinah wings. That to me is well worth it considering how much of a money sink the crafting system is in this game. Secondly is the thing about the durability vs paying the for soul healer. The cost over all is going to be about the same but at least with dying in aion you are less likely to die again because your armor doesnt break so that does give you a slight advantage. I still do think clerics need to be on their toes. With that much healing no one should ever die at least not the tank of course.

Yeah, I wasn't comparing dying to WoW specifically. Just generally playing the game for example though isn't going to hurt you at all is what I was getting at. Hell, the only times I've died on my Cleric is when we bit off more than we can chew. Normally, in situations where my girlfriend (gladiator) and me end up pulling too many, we can still hold roughly 8 guys on us without me spazzing out or anything. Anything more than that or if we're in a mob of elites, you can forget it lol. Can't heal when they damage faster than you heal.

I've yet to die on my Sorcerer though and just got to 14 on that character last night.

Also, I did not know that about the wings at all. Hell, I haven't done too much reading on anything past level 25 really, but it's good to know that those wings will certainly come in handy! :)

29 days of playing left of my free month. I am hoping to get to level 30 by then (my record in MMO's tend to be 24 max lol)

And glad the update came out, I think it helped a lot of issues! And yea I have only died when I took on too many things at once, quite awesome that way.

Anyone on the Zikel server, I am a level 17 Gladiator looking to grind to about 20.....I have not played with anyone yet..

Alright, this is going to seem like a really stupid question, but here goes:

I went to Gamestop and bought the Aion Pre-Order deal, where you get a beta serial code. I paid full price for the game. I registered the serial code on the card that game with it, and installed the game. I played the first few betas but completely ran out of time in the summer to play. I decided I would like to play now (I have a bit of free time), but I am not sure how to make my account a full account instead of a beta account. I try through my Profile at plaync.com, but it won't let me re-register my serial code. It just says it is a pre-order account. I'm really tired right now, and have a feeling I am just missing something.

Could somebody please fill me in what I am supposed to do to play? I just want to enter my bloody credit card number and play! Let's roll!

I tried searching the AionSource forums for the answer, couldn't find it.

Did you go to this site

https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/accountManagement.pl

and sign in and look through all the options. It must be there.

I searched all through there, but cannot seem to find what I am looking for. It says my account is "Not Playable". Why did I pay $50 for the game if it was only for the beta period? I am really confused...perhaps I have to do something through Gamestop? I know I did not pay to play in a beta period that others were playing in for free.

I have read things where the place you bought it from is suppose to send you a second key, not sure about Gamestop. I would call Gamespot, as well has NCSoft and explain your situation. Or hopefully someone will reply with a better answer.

Thanks for searching around though, bman. I appreciate it.

I remember when I bought it that I did not have to pay the full price...I could pay nothing or any amount up to the full price. I think maybe I am supposed to go back to the store and show them my receipt for a full copy of the game? That would probably make more sense then what I was trying to do before.

Thanks for searching around though, bman. I appreciate it.

I remember when I bought it that I did not have to pay the full price...I could pay nothing or any amount up to the full price. I think maybe I am supposed to go back to the store and show them my receipt for a full copy of the game? That would probably make more sense then what I was trying to do before.

If you don't actually have a retail box in hand then yeah you would have to do that. My actual game key was on a quick reference card inside my dvd case.

Yeah, your key should be in the box. When you log into your existing account, I'm pretty sure you can apply a retail key to the account. Says something along the lines of "upgrade this account" if I'm not mistaken. That would be where the key you received in the game box would be placed.

Best of luck.

-----

Update on my playtime: it's fun as hell being a healer! Finally did the group stuff (BC Asmodian-side) I've been holding off for a while and I kept the tank up pretty damn well. Most exciting part I guess for me was when the party got split when the tank went on ahead and a pat pulled in from behind on a straggler. Kept both tank and off-tank up, but was a nice little challenge and change of pace if anything. I love the aspect of us weaving through mobs though to get to the guys we want to kill, jumping off a cliff, and gliding down the next area we want to hit up. Sorta has this "keep up or die" feel to it while we're blazing through. :D

Good to hear that, I myself plan on playing my first character through the game by myself (unless other people happen to be in the same area and can help) because I have always been that kind of gamer, true MMO fans hate people like me, wants it fairly easy and all that, but what ever. I guess it's cause the games I play I never have any local friends that play it. Once I start playing my second character I might try doing some more group things and pvp and all that.

got my assassin to level 17

i'm either really disappointed with the lack of survivability or too spoiled from WoW lol

too used to having vanish, sprint (aion sprint sucks), sap, evasion, blind and 100% certainty stuns... not a fan of this chance to stun.

@Obi Wong

You'll pick up stuns soon enough. Assassins are known for their stunlocking abilities in PvP and such. While the survivability may be a bit lacking, remember that you've got crazy good DPS. I believe Sorc and Assassin are among the highest, thus, it's easy to see why they're the more squishier type. Best thing I can suggest at the moment is to maybe read up on some Assassin guides or forum posts if anything. Of course, try not to let anyone get you down about the class. Just like WoW, class forums generally involve a lot of QQ about why their class is the "worst" class.

For leveling and even PvP, you'll want to make sure you've got +Crit manastones socketed. +Attack will boost your damage in general, but getting those crits off certainly helps. If you're going to be a bit more PvP heavy, or hell, even solo'ing, +HP is also good. Here's a take from the forums:

Crit to 440 or so, then get HP and Attack. Evasion is worthless against casters.

Also, if you aren't already, make sure you're using a dagger in your main hand at least. Many seem to also suggest a sword for the off-hand (which is backwards from WoW, I know) simply for the damage boost. Though don't gimp yourself by tossing away a good dagger that's better than your sword for your off-hand.

Hope any of that helps. Sorry if it's all stuff you knew, just trying to give any advice I can. Oddly enough, the Scout class is my least played class, as I've barely tried them out at all. :p

Oh, last bit of advice would be to talk to the /4 channel. I believe for scouts, that should be the Assassin channel. I know I've learned a lot from my class channels myself.

---------

@Caleo, give it some time. Many games don't get a trial set up immediately. Given that NCsoft is trying to combat the gold spammers, I'd say it might be a little bit before they get that going. Right now, it seems as if the spammers are perhaps using phony credit cards or something to get in game quickly, bot to level 5, and spam channels / people. :/

Alright I have been playing since closed beta as most here knows.

And I do now have complaints, or just me sucking at it. I am level 17 now, which took too long (because I didn't play each day)

First issue, if I have a list of quests that say level 17 (or any level) and I am the same level, I should be able to go and do those with basically not much issue, I am getting my ass kicked at these and have to do it 20 times over (with traveling it sucks) or grind and get higher level.

Second issue, is the major crashing issue people are having, there are different types and reasons but basically they (NCSoft) should have fixed this by now. I gave them 3 weeks now so I'd say that is long enough to figure that out. Maybe I am being harsh, I dunno.

Third issue, Dieing in this game sucks, either your figting in some area where you aren't bound too, so each time you die you have to travel the whole way back to where ever you are, and even if you are in the same area, it's still a crappy experience. Yet I think dieing might be a crappy time in most MMOs.

Forth Issue, and this kinda goes along with dieing. This might be Warriors only, I have not played another character yet, but DP points SUCK!!!! It takes for ever to build up a level on it, just to use a skill one time, and if you die you lose anything you built up. It's fracking annoying and a waste of time!

Other then those, I love this game and will continue to play it, might be the first MMO i get past the 20s lol

@ dead.cell

ya i read up on a ton of assassin theorycraft

i heard "we get good at 25" lol

the only thing i don't get is accuracy vs crit

Accuracy is one of the six basic attributes for all classes. This attribute defines a character’s basic to hit and chance to critically hit an opponent while in combat.

http://powerwiki.na.aiononline.com/aion/Accuracy

Physical Critical Hit is an item attribute that increases your Crit Rate.

http://powerwiki.na.aiononline.com/aion/Physical+Crit

from what i've read, more accuracy allows you to "hit for your full potential" vs crit just raises chance to get critical hits

like i said, i've read a ton of theorycraft. and from the looks of it, a lot of people are stuck in WoW where hit was a purely raiding stat. but i noticed that i never miss my hits. so in aion accuracy != hit

so why stack only crit?

no one has done the math yet to see how accuracy affects DPS

i've also not seen any theorycraft as to how +attack affects assassin DPS

so many people just shouting "STACK CRIT" but from the looks of it everyone has just ignored other stats just because everyone thinks that hit = accuracy because of WoW

but then again, with out damage meters it'll be pretty hard to see the effect of different stats...

ive actually lost interest already in the game

When the game was still in beta, they kept advertising 4500+ quests added, blah blah

But im lvl 24, and ive done maybe 200, i do enough quests to get me 1/3rd through a level, and i GRIND the rest of the way, yes, boring grinding

Everything about this game is grind, grind grind. Its boring now

I also found out that most of the quests thus far are on the Elyos side. From 20-25 it seems like Asmo's grind, but Elyos dont have to nearly as much according to hte aion forums. I think most players are gonna get bored very quickly, im seeing ALOT of ppl dissapearing at around lvl 25 because they are just so bored of grinding.

My next issue is the gold spam, its WAY outta control, you block the 15 spammers, its all quiet for 10 mins, then they make new names and continue the spam.

DP is terrible, more GRIND based action, aparently DP is needed for some crafting to, and crafting can fail just like gathering, resulting in more GRIND

The games doing 'ok' now, its falling down on sales pretty fast though. I expect that Aion will be another noname MMO in a couple of months because it simply doesnt bring anything new to the MMO world, and the fact that its entire gameplay revolves around grinding with a few WoW 1.0 type quests(kill 10 of these, get 5 of those), itll lose its player base FAST.

Im actually going to avoid MMO's for a while, just because My last 2 were AoC and then Aion, and both lacked enough content for levelling and ended up in the mindless grind, and thats dissapointing.

Need to find me a good RPG

I agree with you on the DP issue.

And are you doing every quest, side and main, because I am level 17 and I have done a lot more then 200 quests so far.

The spam issue will be fixed (maintained) soon enough.