Windows 7 RTM Discussion

I'm certain some people on this forum just throw in snarky comments deliberately about vista .v. 7 just to wind people up!

Personally I never had a problem with Vista (even before SP1) .. it was working fine for me .. and 7 is even better!

It seems you were one of the people that tried to install Vista on outdated hardware and had issues with it.

Why should you have to upgrade your computer EVERY time MS decides to release a new OS? I had issues with Vista, it was slow, even with SP1. I have a C2D, 3GB memory and a half decent NVIDIA graphics card. XP was ALWAYS faster. W7 is as Fast as XP but as good as Vista IMO.

I didn't feel like making another thread so I'll leave this here:

"'Years from now, when you've moved on to Windows 7, you'll look back at Windows Vista fondly. You'll remember its fabulous attributes, not its flaws.' That's the opinion of Steve Guggenheimer, vice president of the OEM division at Microsoft. 'I think people will look back on Vista after the Windows 7 release and realize that there were actually a bunch of good things there,' Guggenheimer said in a recent interview. 'So it'll actually be interesting to see in two years what the perception is of Vista.' A dissenting opinion comes from Bob Nitrio, president of system builder Ranvest Associates, doesn't believe organizations that skipped Vista will ever regret their decision. 'I don't think for a second that people are suddenly going to love Windows 7 so much that they will experience deep pangs of regret for not having adopted Vista,' said Nitrio. If I had to bet, I'd go with Bob's take on it." My first thought was, Steve meant Windows 7 is designed to be virtually unusable as payback for all the complaints about Vista, but I might be biased.

http://idle.slashdot.org/story/09/07/24/16...oull-Miss-Vista

No facepalm will fit this.

Only thing I'll miss from Vista would be Inkball :(

So I suppose when you enter a non-ultimate serial when it prompts you after the installation, it won't work?

Out of curiosity, how do people actually know if the current hash is the same as the RTM released in august?

(Haven't been reading any '7' news the last couple of days)

to convert this ultimate edition to SKU just see in teh source directory if there is ei.cfg file. if it is there then delete it and on boot it will offer you a page where all the editions are listed for your selection.

Out of curiosity, how do people actually know if the current hash is the same as the RTM released in august?

(Haven't been reading any '7' news the last couple of days)

The hash was told on Technet blogs by Microsoft.

I didn't feel like making another thread so I'll leave this here:

http://idle.slashdot.org/story/09/07/24/16...oull-Miss-Vista

No facepalm will fit this.

Only thing I'll miss from Vista would be Inkball :(

I have to say, I certainly miss a few things already. Like a smooth aero animation without the annoying stutter, texas holdem game, proper sidebar (at least more proper than what we have in win7), stocks gadget, a proper internet explorer system icon on the desktop (not a shortcut).

This is just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more things I am missing.

A 32-bit install starter would copy the same files than a 64-bit installer would, it's just that the 32-bit wouldn't install them right away, it would reboot before... into the real 64-bit installer. But the same drivers and everything would be copied first, and then installed. In this case, MS wouldn't have to code one more driver than what they offer actually on Windows 7's DVD... it's just that they wouldn't install at the same time, and the 32-bit installer would require one more reboot. I'm not sure to follow you, when you say it would require a lot more work because of all the different combinations of existing machines. I don't think this is a playing factor here. The other one makes more sense, but maybe I'm wrong?

There is no point. Given the decisions Microsoft made in their 64 bit implementation in terms of where files and system files are located, it would be terribly difficult if not outright impossible to upgrade from a 32 bit MS OS to a 64 bit MS OS. For starters, think about just the system file locations:

MS 32 bit:

32 bit libraries = %SYSTEMROOT%\system32

32 bit applications = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files

MS 64 bit:

64 bit libraries = %SYSTEMROOT%\system32

64 bit applications = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files

32 bit libraries = %SYSTEMROOT%\syswow64

32 bit applications = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files (x86)

Okay so the upgrade process would need to be able to sort through the old 32 bit libraries directory and copy the appropriate files into the new 32 bit library location. Same with the apps. Then you've got a whole other layer of the issue when you get to application settings in the registry (HKLM\Software vs HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node).

Upgrading between Windows OSes generally doesn't work for **** anyway. Upgrading is generally the primary use of the GUI installer. So why bother allowing the 64 bit GUI installer to work in a 32 bit environment? Just boot off the disk and do a clean install. Upgrading Windows is already a lazy and ill-considered move. Wanting to upgrade between architectures is outright insanity. Do the the world a favor, suck it up, and perform a clean install. Your OS and your computer will be grateful.

i've been running 16385 x64 for several days now. i've installed a bunch of software on it that i normally use on my old vista x64 sp2 machine. i've installed all the updates from the windows update with no problems.

here's a list of all the apps i've tried that seems to work:

opera beta 2 (build 1651)

iron beta (3.0.189)

comodo x64 firewall (3.10.102363.531)

i've only had one app that i tried that didn't work so far:

ad muncher

process explorer shows up in a separate icon on the taskbar than other apps. other app doesn't have two separate icons in the task bar when launched. but for some reason, process explorer does.

also, it appears i can't bring up the system computer display anymore (where it shows what version of windows and how much ram, etc.). all i get is a service error message.

so far, i like w7. the 16385 build is much faster than the rc build.

Couldn't be stuffed searching every page of this thread so ill just ask

has the final RTM gold disk been leaked yet?

Couldn't be stuffed searching every page of this thread so ill just ask

Yes.

(Althought we can't talk much more about it)

There is no point. Given the decisions Microsoft made in their 64 bit implementation in terms of where files and system files are located, it would be terribly difficult if not outright impossible to upgrade from a 32 bit MS OS to a 64 bit MS OS. For starters, think about just the system file locations:

MS 32 bit:

32 bit libraries = %SYSTEMROOT%\system32

32 bit applications = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files

MS 64 bit:

64 bit libraries = %SYSTEMROOT%\system32

64 bit applications = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files

32 bit libraries = %SYSTEMROOT%\syswow64

32 bit applications = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files (x86)

Okay so the upgrade process would need to be able to sort through the old 32 bit libraries directory and copy the appropriate files into the new 32 bit library location. Same with the apps. Then you've got a whole other layer of the issue when you get to application settings in the registry (HKLM\Software vs HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node).

Upgrading between Windows OSes generally doesn't work for **** anyway. Upgrading is generally the primary use of the GUI installer. So why bother allowing the 64 bit GUI installer to work in a 32 bit environment? Just boot off the disk and do a clean install. Upgrading Windows is already a lazy and ill-considered move. Wanting to upgrade between architectures is outright insanity. Do the the world a favor, suck it up, and perform a clean install. Your OS and your computer will be grateful.

Okay. What if a user doesn't want to update, just install a fresh copy of a 64bit OS on another partition out of a existing 32bit OS?

You may ask why one just couldn't do a Boot Installation then, well if you do a Boot Installation the Windows Drive automatically becomes C: which can cause problems.

I was in a similar situation a few days ago. My Vista is D: and C: holds just many apps that doesn't need a reinstall and private files.

If I do a boot installation now Win7 would set it's partition to C: which screws up my entire HDD naming and many of my shortcuts will become invalid.

However if I install Win7 out of Vista it will just keep the Partition Drive Letter that the Partition has in Vista, in my case S:

So because I was able to install Win7 out of Vista my HDD mess was avoided. This isn't possible with 64bit...

You may ask why one just couldn't do a Boot Installation then, well if you do a Boot Installation the Windows Drive automatically becomes C: which can cause problems.

I heard in another thread that it is possible to open a command prompt in the bootable installer and change the boot drive letter.

Frankly - if I were you - suck it up and let your system drive be C. I hate drive letters as much as the next guy (love the *nix way of handling it though), but having your system drive as C is a pretty big no brainer.

So because I was able to install Win7 out of Vista my HDD mess was avoided. This isn't possible with 64bit...

And yet it is...

Hit shift-F10 to open a command prompt during setup

Use some combination of diskpart.exe and mountvol.exe to assign the appropriate drive letter

I don't know anymore than that. Either way my official advice is to suck it up and deal.

Final original ISOs were leaked yesterday and today by Zukona. Russian and English.

WZT leaked Russian original final language and local packs to W7 and WS2008.

Edited by coth

Can anyone tell me the official Windows 7 64-bit ISO HASH is please?

I have:

7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso

HASH: 380CE67881EBE2C18F6D7DBFB67EB103E9EE6D2D

Is this the official Microsoft iso hash number?

Is this the official Microsoft iso hash number?

No it's not. This is what it's meant to be:

Windows 7 Retail Ultimate English (x64)

Name: 7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso

SHA-1: 326327CC2FF9F05379F5058C41BE6BC5E004BAA7

It appears so. The ISO hash values of the RTM releases were posted by a Microsoft Germany employee on his Technet blog here. The hash values match those of some ISO's floating around. Since it's unlikely that he would post unverified hash values, we can probably trust that those are the real deal. I personally will wait for the Technet releases to be both 100% sure and 100% legal.

It appears so. The ISO hash values of the RTM releases were posted by a Microsoft Germany employee on his Technet blog here. The hash values match those of some ISO's floating around. Since it's unlikely that he would post unverified hash values, we can probably trust that those are the real deal. I personally will wait for the Technet releases to be both 100% sure and 100% legal.

How reliable is that blog posting likely to be?

Are we sure he actually works for Microsoft?

Why would he be posting the hashes?

I mean, if you were a manufacturer, say, couldn't

you get that info if needed through other channels?

Thanks.

I just installed Windows 7 and I have to say that it's truly a beautiful OS. Even though it feels visually similar to Vista, the amount of details that went into this OS and the improvements they made is truly fantastic.

Previously I installed only first BETA and didn't keep it for long, but to see it in this form and how great it works is really exciting.

Probably the best Windows that came out of Redmond. And I mean it.

Now that Windows 7 is out, everyone seems to be unjustly bashing Vista simply because it had a poor reception.

Personally I loved Vista. It's only major problem of slow file copying was fixed with SP1.

What I like about Windows 7 is how much better it performs on my older laptop .. specs were well in range of recommended for Vista but it was slow.. windows 7 is much snappier than vista. I been switching back and forth between them today and there is quite the difference performance wise.