Windows 7 RTM Discussion

How reliable is that blog posting likely to be?

Are we sure he actually works for Microsoft?

Why would he be posting the hashes?

I mean, if you were a manufacturer, say, couldn't

you get that info if needed through other channels?

Thanks.

Check his Bio. He does work for MS. I don't know why he decided to post the hashes, but then again, it's not the first time a company employee has.

Check his Bio. He does work for MS. I don't know why he decided to post the hashes, but then again, it's not the first time a company employee has.

Yeah, the Bio does look pretty convincing.

It could be made up, I guess, but I doubt it.

Why should you have to upgrade your computer EVERY time MS decides to release a new OS? I had issues with Vista, it was slow, even with SP1. I have a C2D, 3GB memory and a half decent NVIDIA graphics card. XP was ALWAYS faster. W7 is as Fast as XP but as good as Vista IMO.

It may be the software you have, I don't know. All the people I know had problems with Vista (about 20-25, not counting those that didn't even try it before giving an opinion) install it on computers that didn't meet the recommended specs or had hardware with faulty drivers at the time Vista was launched...

You don't have to buy new hardware for every Microsoft OS, but you certainly would need to if you don't meet the recommended (not minimum) specs to enjoy it as it was meant to be.

I bought new Mobo, CPU, RAM and Video Card before installing Vista when it came out and I have never had any problems with its performance. I agree that Windows 7 is a little faster than Vista, but not by much. I'm upgrading to it for the new features, not because I have issues with Vista right now.

On topic:

Has anyone see other languages leak? I have only seen English x86 and x64 with matching hashes...

What about the whole update deal though? Won't the update media be different (seeing how it checks for a previous version and refuses to install otherwise)? Or is that behavior a result of entering an upgrade key? Basically what I'm getting at is this - if I format my RC1, install XP/activate, then use the "Ultimate" disc to install Home Premium, will I be able to activate it with my key when my preorder arrives (and rearm until then)?

+1 my exact question too...

I can't wait for the first Win8 leak.... wzor: Second Round FIGHT! ^_^

Oh and forgive my little offtopic-ness but Lord Ba'al who is that on your sig? Any specific Anime/Manga?

The girl is Elwing from an artbook of the Japan-only game Shining Wind. I got it from the site http://elis.imouto.org/ which still has more pics from that artbook.

It'd seem odd that he would post those hashes openly on technet.com of all places and then by coincidence there's some ISOs floating around with that exact hash. :)

It'd seem odd that he would post those hashes openly on technet.com of all places and then by coincidence there's some ISOs floating around with that exact hash. :)

He posted the hashes before the ISOs were leaked on Friday by someone connected to royalty OEMs.

it looks like the reason why i can't open windows explorer or view the system properties is because i somehow corrupted my profile. i get 'Server Execution Failed' whenever i try to do the two aforementioned things. this never happened to me while on vista x64. i wonder why on w7 x64 i got into this hole?

what i did was enabled the built-in 'Administrator' account and disabled the user administrator created when i installed w7. i went one step further and deleted the user admin account. i think that's when i started getting the 'server execution failed' errors. oh, well. i guess i'll reinstall w7.

What about Intel chipset drivers for Windows 7?

Is it required to install this, since there is no official driver for Windows 7. I've just checked it on Intel's website.

Are they planning to release compatible ones with Win7?

What about Intel chipset drivers for Windows 7?

Is it required to install this, since there is no official driver for Windows 7. I've just checked it on Intel's website.

Are they planning to release compatible ones with Win7?

There are intel chipset drivers for 7....check out http://www.station-drivers.com/

You never know. Maybe MS are secretly glad that it has leaked (not for piracy means) but that it may just take the strain of those Technet servers come August 6th, lol, although, we all know they are gonna crash come that day anyway. :rolleyes:

from wiki:

"Due to the removal of Internet Explorer, European customers will not be able to upgrade their Vista installations and will have to perform clean installations of Windows 7"

i feel sorry for you guys. hopefully, it'll cost less without ie. luckily, there's the internet. so basically, you can buy/get non-e versions if you want. i really don't understand the eu. if you don't want to use ie, just uninstall/remove it. it's not like microsoft is forcing you to use ie. you can install any browsers you want. i personally rarely ever use ie. i prefer iron and opera myself.

Why would we get non E versions from elsewhere?

Due to E we get a full retail product that costs less than an OEM version.

Cannot say better than that.

My Pre order of Home Pro Retail cost ?89, when it hits the shelves it will cost ?249.

Think about that. Such a huge saving it's not even worth lifting a finger to consider wanting a non E version just because it has IE out the box?

Lol.

I also bought 2 extra copies of home premium for ?44 and will eBay them at a little less than retail price to make a tidy profit.

We EU folks win in every regard TBH.

It ticks me off that "other sites" have them now and yet the people who pay money for TechNet/MSDN have to waiting 1.5 weeks :angry: + I think that posting the CRC hashes in the public blog should not have been allowed.

It ticks me off that "other sites" have them now and yet the people who pay money for TechNet/MSDN have to waiting 1.5 weeks :angry: + I think that posting the CRC hashes in the public blog should not have been allowed.

Or MS could put Windows 7 RTM on technet right now...

Or MS could put Windows 7 RTM on technet right now...

They could but they won't.

I'm sure its already on MSDN/TechNet just waiting to be "unlocked" as I'm sure the servers and cache servers are synced by now

I've given the thread a good clean to reduce the temptation for people to incriminate themselves when arguing about what is/isn't ok.

Barney's posts says it all, and Joel was pretty clear:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=...f=194&id=27

Windows is not a shareware product. There is no 30 day "free trial" period. Yes, if you legally purchase the product you have 30 days to activate it. Microsoft gives you this time to ensure that you can get yourself connected to the internet during this time frame. Microsoft's 30 day activation period is in no way an invitation to try the product until the activation period ends.

Anyone who admits to downloading the product from anywhere other than Microsoft (MSDN or whatever) will be warned and/or restricted for using warez.

This is final and not up for any debate.

If you want to use Windows for any length of time then purchase it legally. Neowin will not tolerate piracy/use of warez.

That topic says Windows 7 is no longer beta but the forum still says Windows 7 Beta. Doesn't that contradict itself?

Not at all because the RTM has not been made available to the public via legal means. When the time comes the appropriate actions will be taken so that our forum sections are aligned with what is currently available. Warez not included.