Windows 7 RTM Discussion

The OEM versions are different builds to RTM anyway aren't they since 16385 has been signed off as RTM.

Whether the media is OEM or Retail it does not matter. They are BOTH 7600.16385

That is the FINAL BUILD. There will be no new compile before September 1st or October 22nd.

I feel like we go through this with every windows release. RTM = Final, version you will see on store shelves.

End of story.

Whether the media is OEM or Retail it does not matter. They are BOTH 7600.16385

That is the FINAL BUILD. There will be no new compile before September 1st or October 22nd.

I feel like we go through this with every windows release. RTM = Final, version you will see on store shelves.

End of story.

Er yes I understand that (and that was not what I was asking anyway) - my question was in relation to the screenshot posted immediately above showing a new build number above 16385...but of course that screenshot being of an OEM version (and 32bit at that too).

Er yes I understand that (and that was not what I was asking anyway) - my question was in relation to the screenshot posted immediately above showing a new build number above 16385...but of course that screenshot being of an OEM version (and 32bit at that too).

The screenshot mrk is referring to has been removed.

I would like to post this reminder, as some people are not getting the message:

Discussions involving warez, cracks, security circumvention, using torrents for downloading copyrighted or illegal material is strictly prohibited. This includes music files or other unauthorized software. Asking for help in doing so will cause warns or suspensions of accounts.

Also see this note from Neobond: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=800976

Edited by Mathachew

Could you be more specific? All media are DVD iso, they won't fit onto CDs. Upgrade would require full installation of Vista, and the upgrade CD keys will only work on upgrade edition, and not on full edition.

What is the different between "Upgrade" CD keys and what type of installation media will be needed?

Is there a difference between Upgrade CD keys and RTM keys? Will a RTM installation media work the same as an upgrade? Microsoft hasn't been very clear other than the fact you need to insert a previous version of windows during the installation.

Your response says you need to have a copy of the OS installed, that doesn't seem practical if you reformat often. Actually, if you reformat at all, that is a pain in the butt.

I don't know if it was addressed on Neowin, but will the windows animations stutter bug ever be fixed? Take a look here: http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/3016 - I also linked a video on youtube there that shows the animations slowed down (AnimationsShiftKey in the registry). You can clearly see there are quite a few frames missing in the beginning of the close animation, which bothers me the most.

It makes Windows 7 seem slower than Vista, even though it's not the case. It also makes me feel there's something wrong with my computer - but I tested in on 2 different machines, plus a friend's computer with an nVidia video card (I initialy thought it was an ATI issue).

Some people claim they see no problem with the animations and that they are as smooth as Vista's. I wonder if it is really the case or they just don't notice it... I do notice it and I hate it ;)

Or they can deliver it as an update via Windows Update. The Windows installer also supports downloading updates at the beginning of install.

Sorry but that won't happen and here is why.

Microsoft need to factor in people who might not have the internet, or, people who have the internet but have installed Windows at a time where they haven't got access to it. Whatever Microsoft decide to do, they'll have to change the DVDs/ISOs etc to reflect the changes for those European versions of Windows 7.

It sounds stupid but that's why Microsoft couldn't simply have removed the WMP out of Windows XP when the N version was released, they needed to make a new CD up to reflect the changes.

Sorry but that won't happen and here is why.

Microsoft need to factor in people who might not have the internet, or, people who have the internet but have installed Windows at a time where they haven't got access to it. Whatever Microsoft decide to do, they'll have to change the DVDs/ISOs etc to reflect the changes for those European versions of Windows 7.

It sounds stupid but that's why Microsoft couldn't simply have removed the WMP out of Windows XP when the N version was released, they needed to make a new CD up to reflect the changes.

Wrong. Long was right.

Microsoft says it will distribute the ballot screen software via Windows Update to XP and Vista users within the EU. Those with Windows Update switched off won't encounter the ballot screen. Conversely, the update will be installed automatically for users who have opted into Automatic Updates. It will be rated as "High Priority" for Windows XP users and as "Important" for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users.

Source : http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009...-the-island.ars

I still reckon its a load of fuss and bother over something pretty trivial. If joe user gets a PC and the first time they go on the net they are hit with a screen offering them 6 or more browsers that they may not have ever heard of before, they are gonna be confused as hell. especially seeing as it offers IE as one of the browsers to use, and they are using it right there and then?

Can of worms.

That screenshot shows IE indeed, but it's only a mockup made to present to the EU Council.

They can pretty much make it appear like the Vista/7 integrated Windows Update panel or the Automatic Updates prompt in XP.

But yea, many many users will be confused. I just hope the wording and presentation, whatever the presentation option they choose to use, will be clear enough for joe sixpack to understand..

Apparently there are some windows updates that leaked that are now bringing the build string up

7600.16399.x64fre.win7_gdr.090722-1835

I'm personally not going to install these unless they appear on Windows Update.

Apparently there are some windows updates that leaked that are now bringing the build string up

7600.16399.x64fre.win7_gdr.090722-1835

I'm personally not going to install these unless they appear on Windows Update.

There is no mention of what it changes either. 6 updates that push build number thats it.

There is no mention of what it changes either. 6 updates that push build number thats it.

Some of them are actually test updates, probably intended for internal testing of RTM's update functionality, but were somehow leaked by someone who didn't know any better.

I don't know if it was addressed on Neowin, but will the windows animations stutter bug ever be fixed? Take a look here: http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/3016 - I also linked a video on youtube there that shows the animations slowed down (AnimationsShiftKey in the registry). You can clearly see there are quite a few frames missing in the beginning of the close animation, which bothers me the most.

It makes Windows 7 seem slower than Vista, even though it's not the case. It also makes me feel there's something wrong with my computer - but I tested in on 2 different machines, plus a friend's computer with an nVidia video card (I initialy thought it was an ATI issue).

Some people claim they see no problem with the animations and that they are as smooth as Vista's. I wonder if it is really the case or they just don't notice it... I do notice it and I hate it ;)

I have the same issue (can't actually call it a problem) and I noticed it instantly when I finished installing W7. But I am ignoring them :D

I have the same issue (can't actually call it a problem) and I noticed it instantly when I finished installing W7. But I am ignoring them :D

I've tried ignoring it too, but I just can't ;)

Yeah, same here...I try to ignore it. But it bothered me so much I disabled the animations, since going back to Vista ain't an option. I have getting too used to Win7 to go back.

Just seen that the E version has leaked after being on holiday all week- how much I have missed...Anyway, if I install this and use the rearm method, will it bug me telling me that Windows is not genuine? Because I remember someone saying that would happen with rearming.

EDIT: Oh, so it got scrapped. So what do I get now? After reading that cnet article it says I will get the full version...?

Just seen that the E version has leaked after being on holiday all week- how much I have missed...Anyway, if I install this and use the rearm method, will it bug me telling me that Windows is not genuine? Because I remember someone saying that would happen with rearming.

yes although you can use leaked 'E' build but MS have scarped the 'E' version officially. it will now not be sold at retail , instead a ballot browser is approved. you can continue to use this by rearming it & it will not show as non-genuine. i fear that you may not get official support for this build as it has been scarped now.

Well, if I got the Retail version that's out there, will I be able to use my key when I get it? Because I have 7E on pre order.

Well, if I got the Retail version that's out there, will I be able to use my key when I get it? Because I have 7E on pre order.

I would guess so....... the 'E' version has been scrapped apparently and we're all getting the same version now.

Yeah, it's just I'm still on 7057 and I just want to reinstall it. It's bugging me how damn slow my laptop is. It's still got Vista tidbits on it and about 20 folders on my C drive root from Silverlight.

EDIT: If I do a full install of Home Premium now then (with Win7 7057 already installed), will it make a Windows.old folder or not?

Yeah, it's just I'm still on 7057 and I just want to reinstall it. It's bugging me how damn slow my laptop is. It's still got Vista tidbits on it and about 20 folders on my C drive root from Silverlight.

EDIT: If I do a full install of Home Premium now then (with Win7 7057 already installed), will it make a Windows.old folder or not?

Probably.

Windows Easy Transfer works really well, though, and it actually puts everything back where you had it.