Need Feedback! Do you like "Latest Forum Activity"

Feedback request  

377 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the Latest Activity?

• Yes, please don't remove it on IPB3
    • No, I have always had it hidden

Click the little icon to the left of the title ;)

I know, but because of the limitation I mentioned in the first post if I either misclick or forget, I'll completely lose my progress in a thread.

If IPB3 doesn't fix this age-old bug, then you guys should hack it so that it works like it should.

Or, yknow, switch to vBulletin, who's had this working for what 2 years now :p

Because I hide every forum except for Gamers Hangout, the Latest Forum Activity bar means I can post in other topics that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I love this feature, please leave it there!

I know, but because of the limitation I mentioned in the first post if I either misclick or forget, I'll completely lose my progress in a thread.

If IPB3 doesn't fix this age-old bug, then you guys should hack it so that it works like it should.

Or, yknow, switch to vBulletin, who's had this working for what 2 years now :p

So you think that clicking the link and not the icon, which sends you to the OP instead of the latests post is a bug? :unsure:

I won't be happy if this gets changed, I always open up threads at the OP and read pretty much the entire thread from there.

(30 posts/page and quick deduction if a post is worthwhile reading or not). I don't really like saying things that have already been said, so I read the thread to see what's been said. Doesn't add anything to the conversation & isn't very interesting to read.

Plus, it's kinda silly seeing people asking for something, which has been answered a page earlier (but most likely 3 pages earlier to them, which is obviously too many pages to go back through...).

It would be even better if you can provide an option in the UserCP to move the whole thing to the bottom of every page (like phpBB). But it has to be a user preference (lest the 103 posters above come to kick my ass for pulling it down). "Quintessential Customization"; we can brag 'bout it later...

Omkar

So you think that clicking the link and not the icon, which sends you to the OP instead of the latests post is a bug? :unsure:

I won't be happy if this gets changed, I always open up threads at the OP and read pretty much the entire thread from there.

(30 posts/page and quick deduction if a post is worthwhile reading or not). I don't really like saying things that have already been said, so I read the thread to see what's been said. Doesn't add anything to the conversation & isn't very interesting to read.

Plus, it's kinda silly seeing people asking for something, which has been answered a page earlier (but most likely 3 pages earlier to them, which is obviously too many pages to go back through...).

No, reading the first page (or indeed any page) of a thread marks the entire thread as read. This is a bug (not really, but I class it as a bug because only IPB still works that way). If I read the first page of a thread and then click the little icon again, I want it to go to the 2nd page of the thread. Because I have only read the first page, I have not read all the 125 pages.

Why does the forum software think that I have? This is why I would never use IPB for any of my sites (that, and the mouseover thread title - who the hell cares about thread start date? Give me a summary! Also the fact that I have 4 years of vBulletin experience :p)

The thread title taking me to OP is perfectly fine, I'm sorry if I was unclear about that. But if I mis-click, I can't click the little icon anymore - or rather, it would be pointless to do so. The "go to new post" has broken.

Well, I'm very well confused here, what sidebar? Can we have a screenshot of it please? Because the current Latest Forum Activity is at the top of the index and not at the side... :s

Sorry, I've only just seen that image load which Mike pointed out to me.

Scrap the Sidebar but keep our current header Activity thing where it is..

Can you make it an OPTIONAL?

Like how we can minimize certain forums and stuff?

Also.

Can we please please please.. get the option to rearrange forums on these new forums?! :)

Edit: Voted that I'd miss it.. because I love it to death.

It's how i find a lot of the topics I look at here at neowin if anything I'd like to see it more customizable with what forums it checks and things like that it's one of the best features.

• 1 month later...

That feature is the only way i'll ever see a lot of the threads here, because it's easy to miss them. I use it pretty much all day every day lol.

It's one of my only ways of getting to new and interesting threads, and I love it. Only thing that is slightly annoying is the autorefresh. Add something to make the refresh more visual (timer or something) or just don't let it refresh itself.

It's one of my only ways of getting to new and interesting threads, and I love it. Only thing that is slightly annoying is the autorefresh. Add something to make the refresh more visual (timer or something) or just don't let it refresh itself.

You can disable the autorefresh. Simply make sure next to 'Show Less' it says 'Start' instead of 'Stop.'

EDIT:

Forgot to say that I like the LFA, it's one of the primary ways I browse the forums.

Obviously when I as a Mod I had a bit different of a routine to go over threads, but now I would say 70% of the threads I go to are from Latest Forum Activity. Then I just have all of the main pages in the Gamers Hangout and The Media Room each individually bookmarked, and go to them the other 30% of the time and do a manual eye scan.

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason only 5 of the Latest Forum Activity entries show up instead of the 10 that appeared before.

How can I revert back to 10 Latest Forum Activity entries?

Edit: NVM, I just found the 'Show More'... missed it before because it looks like a part of the category header.