District 9 (2009)

I actually really liked this movie and I'd hardly consider it a sci-fi. It was a movie dealing with our own social issues and faults masked as an alien sci-fi thriller packed with action. You could probably replace the prawns with basically any race, culture, nation, or group that has been discriminated against. Although this is what most sci-fi's attempt to do, I found this leaning more towards the social part of the spectrum and less the sci-fi part.

I also didn't walk into this movie expecting a lot of action, although to be honest I walked into this movie not knowing what to expect. If you're expecting "just another" sci-fi movie, you might be quite disappointed. I guess we can pretend Cloverfield is the sequel to this movie. :D

I loved this movie. 5/5 for me. Loved the Halo references, the story twists and how everyone wants a piece of Wikus. lol. Prawn Mechwarriors FTW!!!

I liked it but not going to see it in theaters again, I am waiting for the Blu-Ray version :)

Same. The theater I was at didn't have the best projector, and it was really shaky making a lot of the film blurry. Yay for home theater :)

:laugh: Definitely agree with you there!

I just got back from seeing The Time Traveler's Wife and loved it. I guess I'm just odd :p

even my parents said that movie sucked.

The director and Peter Jackson were supposed to do the Halo movie originally and I think they would be great at it, however we have Speilberg on board so we will see how that turns out...

It was a good movie, however there were problems. Human weapons able to destroy alien tech, come on, seriously.

It was a good movie, however there were problems. Human weapons able to destroy alien tech, come on, seriously.

And why would they not be able to? Are they supposed to be invincible? :p

I just got done watching this, I just knew that it had aliens in it in a slum and little else before seeing it. I came away very impressed, the story, the actors, the script. I can't believe this CGI and effects were accomplished on such a small budget. The messages in the movie were very real but it still has some insane action and it really builds on the main character. Best movie I've seen all year hands down.

I thought the movie was very, very good, especially considering the size of the budget. One thing that impressed me was the subject matter. Finally, a sci-fi film that wasn't typical Hollywood kiddie stuff. I had wondered many times if I'd ever live to see a sci-fi film that could deliver the potential that sci-fi has always possessed, and the answer is that day is finally getting closer.

Definitely a good film, 4.5/5. IT wasn't perfect but it was definitely a great film. Adventureland on the other hand that also happens to ahve around an 88 on Rotten Tomatoes, that's an entirely different story.

Kind of figured out how the film style was going to be though from watching the mini-docu's that Neil had done in the past. "Alive in Joburg" it was called...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0813999/

So looking at that District 9 was essentially just an extension of this with much more funding comparatively.

Just came back from seeing it and I'm going to rate it at 4/5. It's a good Sci-Fi movie with enough "gore" like Starship Troopers when using Aliens guns. Juicy!

The story line was good enough for me and kept me interested all the way till the end.

And the door is wide open for a sequel....

I came back from it, it was a stupid movie.

Stupid as in no thinking was needed to see it.

It started in nothing, ended in nothing. And the oh so many questions on why did Wilkus did some things knowing he could do others seals the deal.

When he goes to the Nigerian gun smuggler, why doesn't he kill them all? Is he stupid?

When he attacks the MNU with the other alien, why the hell didn't he recruit more aliens? Is he stupid?

When he is sporting the unbeatable robot suit, why doesn't he go on a rampage and kill everyone?

Are the writers mentally retarded? Wilkus' conversation with his wife where he tells her not to give up on him and vice-versa, stupid. I felt dumber than a kid with Down's Syndrome

Stupid movie is stupid. I give it 3 stars out of 5, because it doesn't require thinking and it does not promote thinking. Maybe that is why I didn't like it, because I was thinking. And the whole plot was known right when He sprayed his own stupid face with the alien liquid. The ending would be more cliche if Wilkus ended up being the alien leader, or the little kid's stepfather.

Conclusion: The movie is stupid.

- Because he obviously doesn't want to hurt anyone, as he made it clear when going to MNU headquarters.

- Because it's a deal between him and Christopher. He also still doesn't seem to want to associate with the aliens at this point.

- Because he's trying to get to the ship with Christopher. And the suit obviously wasn't "unbeatable", as he was hurt whenever it got shot.

- Well, what would you have said? Seemed fairly realistic to me. He was kind of freaking out, and in the movie it was made obvious he wasn't exactly the smartest bulb in the box.

For someone who says the movie is stupid, you certainly couldn't follow a few obvious parts. :laugh:

- Because he obviously doesn't want to hurt anyone, as he made it clear when going to MNU headquarters.

- Because it's a deal between him and Christopher. He also still doesn't seem to want to associate with the aliens at this point.

- Because he's trying to get to the ship with Christopher. And the suit obviously wasn't "unbeatable", as he was hurt whenever it got shot.

- Well, what would you have said? Seemed fairly realistic to me. He was kind of freaking out, and in the movie it was made obvious he wasn't exactly the smartest bulb in the box.

For someone who says the movie is stupid, you certainly couldn't follow a few obvious parts. :laugh:

- When he made the threat of killing a nurse/doctor whatever when they were trying to remove his tissue at the MNU and everything; and when he just shot a lot other Nigerian smugglers with the alien weapon he does not want to hurt anyone? Yeah right, that is bull.

- This does not excuse his stupidity. Even himself knew that going in was a suicide mission, and his "love" for the aliens was null, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind a few more of them tagging along just to be cannon fodder.

- It got hurt when the sniper with the 50 cal shot him, before that the suit was invincible. Even getting hit by a truck, getting an RPG to the hand and blowing it off, etc. I accept he was a noob piloting it, but come on, the suit alone could have killed everyone else by itself.

- Then the people in the movie are all mentally retarded if that conversation was realistic. "Believe in me, don't give up on me!" "I believe in you, I won't give up on you! I want you back!" "That is what I want too baby! I have a plan, it'll all be back to normal!"

RETARDED

The best thing out of the movie was the little kid alien son of Christopher, he was the only reason I stayed 'till the end. The movie would've been the same without an actor playing Wilkus and we just hearing about his efforts. Heck, the whole movie could have run for just about 30 minutes and it would've been the same.

Maybe I was expecting too much out of this movie, maybe I was over thinking it. Special effects are cool though.

In those cases he wasn't left with much choice really. Either take them out or let them butcher him.

The suit could have been weakened by the time the sniper took a shot at it.

You're over thinking it. :p

- Oh yeah, you're totally right... after being tortured for a couple of days, no one in their right mind would make any sort of death threats to the people torturing them! :laugh: And shooting guys who have guns aimed at you with what amounts to an extremely powerful leaf blower sure was rude on his part too! :laugh:

- Not loving someone doesn't mean you want them dead. If you don't love your co-worker, do you want them to die? Probably not. He was running short on time, and he went with the one alien he knew he could trust. Why would he want to go to all these other aliens who he had just evicted from their homes? Why would he trust them?

- If getting shot with a sniper rifle hurts it, how is the suit "invincible" again? Clearly it is not "invincible." Yes, the suit could have killed a lot of people. And he did kill a lot of people that were shooting at him. But why would he want to do that when his goal was to get to the ship and turn fully human again? After he realized he wouldn't make it he went on the whole 'let's kill people' rage, but why would he do that before when he was trying to beat the MNU guys to the ship?

- Um, again, what should the conversation have said? Have you ever had a relationship that was on the rocks? Would "don't give up on me" and "believe in me" not be something you would expect to hear? It certainly sounds realistic to me!

I don't see how any of it was "retarded."

sexypeperodri is complaining because it wasn't a film that required thinking, yet he expected the guy to kill everyone who appeared on screen. You can't have it both ways, really. The story is about a guy freaking out, majorly, and making rash decisions. The one thing I never thought while watching the movie was "Why would he do THAT?". I was always convinced that Wickus' actions were a realistic portrayal of such a frightened man.

sexypeperodri is complaining because it wasn't a film that required thinking, yet he expected the guy to kill everyone who appeared on screen. You can't have it both ways, really. The story is about a guy freaking out, majorly, and making rash decisions. The one thing I never thought while watching the movie was "Why would he do THAT?". I was always convinced that Wickus' actions were a realistic portrayal of such a frightened man.

Thank you. For once we have a movie with some kind of "real" emotion/action done by someone freaking out but not necessarily to the point of killing everybody.

While naive, the guy still had hope to be turn back to a normal human being and live. Not live to later die because of all the murder he committed.

I liked the whole documentary look in the beginning but it went downhill for me right around when the got the liquid. other than that though it wasn't a bad movie at all, the trailer made seem as if it would be on a epic scale like War of the worlds but I still liked how the aliens were being oppressed by the humans, it's something new and different.

I'll give it a 7/10.